Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2013, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #2071
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was on a boat trip to Antarctica and everyone was taking photos furiously. From about 200 persons, I looked for and found two other Pentaxes. One guy bought it to replace his canon because he wanted something smaller and the other gentlemen said he used it for the weather proofing. While zooming around on these little rubber ducks between spray and penguin poop, I was repeatedly warned to cover my camera by everybody else, but I kept my DA*300 or 18-135WR on the K5 and carried on taking pictures. No problems.

Two really serious Nikon D3 and D4 guys as well and they could focus much better than my K5 on birds on the water . I have some nice in focus backgrounds of waves with a blurry albatross in front, even when using spot focus, but otherwise, great!

So very rare, and I can see why. Here in Africa, I could buy it from overseas with the concomitant potential problems with warranty returns etc, but I persevered and have been very happy ( and a bit pig headed )

02-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #2072

Maybe I'll get one as a second body in the future if I could use all my manual lens without the need for an adapter with glass. I'll continue saving for a second body and keep the Pentax on my radar.
02-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #2073
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nikonshooter Quote
Maybe I'll get one as a second body in the future if I could use all my manual lens without the need for an adapter with glass. I'll continue saving for a second body and keep the Pentax on my radar.
You can use all your k-mount manual lenses without an adapter. You would need an adapter for m42 screwmount lenses, however.
02-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #2074
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And FYI- the M42 adapter does not use glass! Quite a nice set up!

02-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #2075

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
And FYI- the M42 adapter does not use glass! Quite a nice set up!
I don't have a Pentax body so glass is needed in some cases. Nikon's FFD is hurting my ability to use older manual lens. That's why I might wait until Pentax come out with a FF body to get one.
02-19-2013, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #2076
Forum Member

I prefer to be an outcast lol

And when I chose to put my loyalties with Pentax..I did so for a few very good reasons:

1. value (we are aware of the current economy correct?)
2. reviews (albeit few and far between) each was stellar
3. I am a mom to a toddler and a newborn (the occasional juicebox eruption scares me not!) I am not "afraid" of m y camera
4. It just feels good
5. I love attention....and shooting Pentax assures me lots of of it haha

SPECIFICATIONS!!!!

I am very new to the photography world, and while the "others" seem like the obvious choice if you are easily swayed by marketing gimmicks, about 5 minutes of researching yields outstanding results from the Pentax lineup.

I <3 my rogue camera!
02-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #2077

Photos: Albums
well among my friends i am the only Pentax user like many of you. when ever i see a great photo opportunity and swap my lens to a vintage prime, or my 300mm zoom, or decide to go with a 40mm F/2.8 lens to take that amazing shot!
when we compare virtually the same pics but on different cameras you can read the jealousy in their faces when my pics are SSSSOOO MMMMUUUCCCHHH BBBEEETTTTTTEEERRR!!! because i have several lenses to choose from and they only have 18-55 stock glass. when it comes down to it they didnt do the research. they just went with the other drones and bought a canikon. so additional lenses "just isn't the budget right now." well then you just have an expensive point-n-shoot with no real zoom lol. i wouldnt trade any of my old lenses, new lenses, or my k-5 & k-x for a canikon. i much prefer to stand out in a crowd in a proper way!

02-21-2013, 08:17 AM - 4 Likes   #2078

Photos: Albums
It seems that this thread is a bit of a rite of passage on this site, so I thought I would contribute.

Jeez... I see another Pentax every other time I go out. I actually shared a coffee with a nice Korean tourist a while back on account of the fact that we were both carrying K-x's. My home town is a bit of a tourist stop, so there are always lots of DSLR's on the street and while easily ninety percent are Canikons with the balance being a smattering of Leica, Sony and Pentax... I still see Pentax a fair bit. Quite memorably, in September last year I was shooting at a medieval fare when a French bloke tapped me and waved his K-5. We spent the rest of the afternoon shooting together... and he had a pro-bag FULL of Ziess and Pentax * glass. The brief samples I took with that glass did nothing to assist my LBA! Lovely stuff. I value those experiences more than I would seeing ten thousand Pentaxes dangling from the necks of tourists.

But I digress.

So... my take is that yes Pentax is rare, but that should be no surprise. Going by these posts, most of us seem to have arrived here by one of three paths. The first are those who shot Pentax in the film days, the second are those that inherited Pentax gear, and the third are those that arrived during the digital age after plenty of hard research revealed Pentax as superior value. There is no room in that mix for the average consumer who wanders into a mainstream store and asks the sales assistant what they should get. Also, there is not much room in that mix for the aspiring pro who may well recognize the competitiveness of Pentax gear but sees Canikon as safer overall SYSTEMS with which to advance their careers (hard to argue with that, actually). Consumers and wannabe pros account for the vast majority of DSLRs seen hanging around necks. Thus... we see ten Canikons for every other type of DSLR out there.

So, as I see it Pentax appeals to a very, very narrow niche of discerning enthusiasts and sentimentalists, somewhere off to the side of the normal spectrum ranging from brand-conscious consumer, up to gear-headed "prosumer" and then through to pragmatic professional.

I for one, hope this never changes. While I wish Pentax well and certainly a bit more market share wouldn't hurt to ensure the company's survival, I sincerely hope that Pentax never resorts to the mass-marketing ploys, vapour-ware announcements and lego-brick upgrade paths of Canikon. I do hope they continue to offer quirky alternatives as well as good solid cameras built to high photographic standards rather than the banal demands of the marketeers and product managers.

In the meantime, I will revel in the knowledge that wherever I am in the world, if I see another Pentax I can raise mine, smile and know I am in the company of a fellow traveler. Can't do that with a Canikon. Well, I could... but I'd be grinning and waving a camera a lot, and people wouldn't know what for.
02-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #2079

I just got back (last friday) from 2 weeks in Hawaii, on the island Kauai, and for the first time encountered another Pentax shooter in the year and a half since I got my first Pentax, K200D. Top of Waimea Canion. I was with some other people who were getting antsy to go at the time that I noticed the woman with her Pentax, so I didn't get a chance to say hello.

If you're a pentax shooter, female, and you were on Waimea canyon state park in the last two weeks, say hello!
02-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #2080
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOtherRob Quote
It seems that this thread is a bit of a rite of passage on this site, so I thought I would contribute.
Great post. Welcome to the forums
02-22-2013, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #2081
Veteran Member

I was at Slimbridge Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust earlier this week and saw a woman with a Pentax. Not sure which model exactly, but it looked like a K-r or K-x. I waved my K-5 and smiled at her. She smiled back, no doubt wondering "who is that nutcase".
02-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #2082

Cool, didn't notice we had a Pentax support group here haha. I picked up a K100d a few years back for an intro to film (the movie kind) and we had to have a camera of some sort to frame shots that looked like stills from a movie. It was the cheapest one I could find and I read up on it and saw it could accept a wide range of manual lenses. I had come to like it. A lot. I eventually sold it and moved up to a K-x (that got stolen... so there's another Pentax user near me now!). I have yet to see a single person with a Pentax since then. It's a lonely, lonely world. I talked shop a bit with a camera store owner about the K-30 awhile back. Dunno if that counts or not.
02-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #2083
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northofpolaris Quote
Cool, didn't notice we had a Pentax support group here haha. I picked up a K100d a few years back for an intro to film (the movie kind) and we had to have a camera of some sort to frame shots that looked like stills from a movie. It was the cheapest one I could find and I read up on it and saw it could accept a wide range of manual lenses. I had come to like it. A lot. I eventually sold it and moved up to a K-x (that got stolen... so there's another Pentax user near me now!). I have yet to see a single person with a Pentax since then. It's a lonely, lonely world. I talked shop a bit with a camera store owner about the K-30 awhile back. Dunno if that counts or not.
Yep, I had a conversation with a camera store fellow the other day; quote "Pentax is a very underrated camera" - but they sell 30 Canons and Nikons to 1 Pentax. Not very surprising, not a Pentax sign in the shop and not a K5 on the shelf. If they had a K30 I didn't see it. They did have a K30 in the display case two years ago when I bought my K5, but I bought from a web vendor, because I couldn't find a bricks and mortar vendor who would stock the K5 "because we don't sell enough of them" (!!)
03-02-2013, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #2084

Very Interesting Thread.........

WOW! This has been a VERY interesting thread. I've always wondered why your "BIG BOX" stores never seem to have Pentax DSLRs or lenses. Much to my surprise, it appears that you guys and gals are more commonly "Pros" or "Semi-Pros" and NOT the run of the mill, "Gee Jimmy just got a Canikon DSLR (funny word) and WE really need to get one to keep up with the Joneses".

My fondness for Pentax started way back in the 70s when my father let me take his Pentax "Spotmatic" to the Chicago Auto Show. WOW, the pictures were absolutely amazing even for a beginner such as myself. So I got an Pentax MX for Christmas one year and about twenty years later I upgraded to a newer body and purchased an Pentax ZX-M. I've never even considered purchasing a Canikon just because I've ALWAYS loved how the Pentax cameras felt and operated. OK, yea I also like being DIFFERENT! Now I'm DYING for a Kx, K7 or similar Pentax as I know I can use my existing "Ashia Pentax" lenses with the newer DSLRs. Over the past years I've shot with my ZX-M and had the pictures developed and placed on CDs. But its killing me that my cheap CASIO digital camera can't do some basic things that my MX can do.

Hopefully soon I'll be the owner of a good used or NEW Pentax DSLR. I can't wait..............
03-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #2085
Pentaxian

I was at my photo club meeting last night, there was approx 90 folks there, big turnout. It was a gear theme, and they had us split into groups of 'canon' 'nikon' and 'other'. So out of 90 we had about 12 'others' with fancy oly, lumix m43, (omd! so tiny!) couple fugifilm and sony. I was the only pentax out of the entire club. Most people were surprised, one of the comments was, 'I think my dad has a pentax'. It was all very exciting talking about everyone's new technological marvels (what won't they think of next?!) and when it was my turn, I mentioned the focus peaking in the k-01 and how it makes manual focusing easier, and ...and... NEXT! Anyway, I don't think anyone cared in the slightest that you could use old manual focus lenses. Now if I'd had a 12-1200 lens on that puppy that cost me $5000, and i could control it via bluetooth voice recognition, that would be cool. So in my neck of the woods at least, we are really that rare.

(Really they're all good folks, I'm just giving 'em a hard time.)