Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #196
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Sorry, I don't know the Pentax line or its history as well as some here. What model IS that camera? Is it an older Pentax film camera?

Will

p.s. I don't recall ever seeing a camera with the hot shoe off on the side of the body. Might not be a bad idea, actually....
Looks like a PZ-20 to me. The Z/PZ line of film cameras from the early 90s had a display on top of the prism and the shoe to the side.

This is about when the bodies started getting plasticky and I lost interest.

Last edited by GeneV; 08-16-2010 at 09:22 AM.
08-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #197
Veteran Member

In my trip to Disney, I saw only one person (from Europe) shooting Pentax. I asked a Park Photographer to take a picture with my K10D with the FA 35mm F/2 lens attached to it and he looked puzzled trying to zoom with it. LOL
08-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jjdgti Quote
In my trip to Disney, I saw only one person (from Europe) shooting Pentax. I asked a Park Photographer to take a picture with my K10D with the FA 35mm F/2 lens attached to it and he looked puzzled trying to zoom with it. LOL
you think that's funny? I had numerous times experienced saying my camera never fired a flash and I should take another picture.
08-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #199
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Looks like a PZ-20 to me. The Z/PZ line of film cameras from the early 90s had a display on top of the prism and the shoe to the side.

This is about when the bodies started getting plasticky and I lost interest.
That was introduced with the SF-1 that I own. I wish the hot shoe was still on the right of the camera as it is on my SF-1. You can actually hold the thing with a big flash on it (AF 500 FTZ in my case) with one hand without the camera trying to make a counterclockwise loop. This was by far the best on camera hot shoe location ever.

When it came out there was an article in a photo magazine which showed a fashion photographer who just delighted in the hot shoe location. She could shoot with one hand and direct the model with the other without dropping the camera.

08-17-2010, 06:48 AM   #200
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
That was introduced with the SF-1 that I own. I wish the hot shoe was still on the right of the camera as it is on my SF-1. You can actually hold the thing with a big flash on it (AF 500 FTZ in my case) with one hand without the camera trying to make a counterclockwise loop. This was by far the best on camera hot shoe location ever.

When it came out there was an article in a photo magazine which showed a fashion photographer who just delighted in the hot shoe location. She could shoot with one hand and direct the model with the other without dropping the camera.
The location does make sense for a number of reasons. The only issue I have had with flash brackets which locate the flash to the side of the lens is with AF assist lamps.
08-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #201
Inactive Account

in school, with film, most people has pentax. I've never met another pentax dslr owner besides myself though
08-18-2010, 05:02 AM   #202
SJM
Veteran Member

Hmm, now that I think about it .. no, I do not see a lot of other Pentax owners when I am out and about.
08-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #203
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Call me basis but I think Pentax aren't popular in the US for good reason - Americans are simply too obsessed of the size. Don't believe me? Look at all the big bulky heavy cars that they have built, the most fuel hungry jet engine powered tanks, the way jumbo-sized fat filled fast foods, and not to mention those God knows why any sane people would go for big ugly fake implants. The reason is really simply - if it is big, we love it. Small Pentax? FAILED!
Do you mean "bias?"

08-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #204
Veteran Member

I have been frequently asked questions about my K-7 and DA* lenses by professional photographers here in Afghanistan. None have said "you should have bought a Canon/Nikon etc" but are just interested in the best gear for the task at hand, very good dust sealing and weather resistance.

They all love the size as this thing is compact ever with the grip frame compared to a D3 or the Canon 5d/7d.

A large portion of them are using the 7d and 5d's because of 1080p video. They are being used for professional video. One guy had a 30,000 dollar HD camera but was still using the 7d in situations for professional stock video it's that well regarded. The 5d is used by Army combat photographers for the same reason, because it does both well.

I have seen
Nikon D3/D300s
Canon 5d/7d

But 0 Pentax camera's over here besides the weather resistance point and shoots. Nobody knows about Pentax. After looking over the Camera they all think it's well built and impressed by the sealing. (mine still does not have dust in either DA* Lens and thats saying a LOT over here)

Pentax needs to latch onto the weather sealing and sell these to the military as the size is a big advantage. I hate to say it because I don't use video on this camera but a LOT of them need video or won't even look at the camera.

Lee
08-19-2010, 12:31 AM   #205

Location: Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa
Sjowing some of my work to another photographer, uses Nikon, I got to showing them what the Pentax can do as far as digital editing in camera as well as some of the digital effects that can be done in camera. Well they comment that their Nikon can not do so much. One good reason to use Pentax and the dust removal system and warning is better then canon and Nikon. all this in the 'entry' level K-M.. That is why I use Pentax.
08-19-2010, 12:46 AM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jjdgti Quote
They do not use and know primes because only zooms are the workhorses in parks and cruise ships and they are often just "photo operators" with a course in basic composition, exposure and so on..."f8-11 smile and be there" They usually use nikons because of the very reliable flash and metering systems and their goal is to take as many pics of as many people as possible.
08-19-2010, 03:02 AM   #207
Forum Member

Over here in french France there seems to be a much more even balance of camera ownership, except that Nikons are very thin on the ground. At a recent two day trip to a theme park I saw plenty of Canon, Sony and Pentax DSLRs, but only two Nikons, one of which was being used by an ad agency photographer working for the park itself.

I like my Pentax cameras for their handling and their toughness. That said if Pentax don't come up with something 7D matching soon, I'll probably be jumping ship.
08-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #208

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Yeah, in spite of the light drizzle, the turnout was great. Agree with you it was a great outing. So much more varieties of critters to shoot macro. Great company too.
That's a fantastic photograph of the photographer club in Singapore. I saved a copy.
08-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #209
Veteran Member

I see Pentax in various places, and it's not really predictable. I can go to large gatherings and never see another Pentax, or I can see 2 or 3 just out walking around.

There are at least two other Pentaxians in my neighborhood. I saw one guy out walking his dog and he had a DS and kit lens. Then, at my daughter's school, another guy had a full Pentax kit (a couple of lenses at least, plus a flash). I made a comment to him about having a nice camera and nodded to my K20, and he just kind of stared at me and moved on.

I don't think I've ever really gotten negative comments face to face about using Pentax. I sold an office mate on the Kx white kit, and he loves it. He's selling Pentax to his buddies back home. On the other hand, my father-in-law decided on the Nikon D5000 over the Kx due to the articulating screen. Of course, now he's really hating the higher lens prices, and I don't know enough about Nikon to steer him towards used lenses or third party lenses.
08-20-2010, 03:20 AM   #210

This town probably has more photographers per capita that any other city in the world (most own more than one camera) and I've only seen three Pentaxes so far, one is mine. Oh wait I've seen a few white K-Xs (Japanese tourists)