Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #2131
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SirBismuth Quote
What I also usually will bring up, is a story I heard once where they took a bunch of pros and gave them cellphone cameras, and they still produced stunning images.
My daughter (who is a pro of related sorts) Instagram'ed an iPhone Central Park landscape capture last month that knocked my socks off. Bunch of brown winter stalks, leaves and grass describing the Golden Ratio. At the perfect point is a small burst of red - first young male Cardnal of the year. The description doesn't do it justice.

04-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #2132
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SirBismuth Quote
Yes, most of the people that know me, will not say "it's the camera" or something similar. Usually when in mixed company (as in those that know my feeling on it, and those that don't), my first indication at an "it's the camera"-type comment is a raised eyebrow, and yes, obviously a topic change is a good idea. What I also usually will bring up, is a story I heard once where they took a bunch of pros and gave them cellphone cameras, and they still produced stunning images.

B
You should really check out Digitalrev's Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera series.
04-22-2013, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #2133
Veteran Member

A typical Pentax Singapore monthly user outing (April 2013)
In the picture are two award winning landscape photographers.
Definitely a fun and talented bunch of shooters.

Photo courtesy of Frank.
04-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #2134
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We spent a pleasant Sunday afternoon at the Atlanta Zoo with the young grandkids and their mother. Saw many cell phone cameras deployed, lots of P&S cameras, and the apparently obligatory horde of Canikons. I encountered one Sony DSLR shooter, we chatted briefly. She agreed that Sony and Pentax are seldom seen. She'd bought her camera with the kit lens, a tele of some sort, and some other bits and pieces from a friend who'd bought it new for, she said, $1,100 and sold it to her after three months for $500. Pretty good deal. She was enjoying the camera, I said that I thought she could use many Minolta lenses. This was news to her, I did tell her to research it since I think Minolta changed its mount some time or other.

And so it goes....

04-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #2135
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Need to put some extra miles on the company car? Hope you filled in those log books.
Still....., its an excuse for a weekend drive in the country.

Went shooting today with my local group.

I'm the only Pentax user. Generated a bit of interest playing with a new toy (Q-K mount adapter) with DA*300.

Michael: " Oh wow. that's cool......Hey I got a Canon EOS-M mirrorless recently. Can I get a converter to do that?"
Me: " Err ... no...... you can't"
I like your reply, an "In-your-face" answer to Michael !! There !!

JP
04-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #2136
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
A typical Pentax Singapore monthly user outing (April 2013)
In the picture are two award winning landscape photographers.
Definitely a fun and talented bunch of shooters.

Photo courtesy of Frank.
There are 25 more Pentax users in that photo than there are here in my hometown!

JP
04-22-2013, 04:21 PM - 3 Likes   #2137
Loyal Site Supporter

Today's outing to the local "pro" camera store to look for a new camera strap (sorry, Pentax, much as I love the logo on it, the kit strap is no good for me...). Standing at the sales counter, waiting for the transaction to finish, I noticed a small display of those "rain cover" thingies for lenses. As it's been raining a lot here lately, I remarked to the sales guy, "hey, you're probably selling a lot of these lately..."

He said, "Oh yea. Nobody makes a rain-proof camera..." Long pause, maybe he sees my raised eyebrow..."except Pentax..."

"Right," I said, "that's what's in this bag... Pentax..." (reminder, this is the place that doesn't sell any Pentax gear). "Pentax has several weather-resistant models..."

"Oh, yeah, there's this AMAZING video online, I think the guy is in the Army or something, demo'ing his Pentax gear in the dust, he washes it off in the shower and then the last frame is him taking a picture..."

"Right. That's Heie. Army engineer. Hangs out in Pentaxforums.com. You should visit over there...nice forum..."

Then we had a brief chat about Pentax gear, which that danged store has never carried, but every time we go in there I get in a plug or two.
04-23-2013, 12:53 AM   #2138
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
but every time we go in there I get in a plug or two
Send in your expenses chit to Pentax along with your sales leads at the end of the month, so they know where to send out your commission.

04-23-2013, 03:11 AM   #2139
Loyal Site Supporter

<haha!> Right, if only...

Taking a class next week, we'll see how the P/CN ratio turns out.... film at 11!
04-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #2140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
A typical Pentax Singapore monthly user outing
Looks like a really fun bunch! Pentax does seem to bring out the best in people!

I wonder if that image shows the highest concentration of Pentax users/shooters ever recorded.

- Craig
04-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #2141
Pentaxian

IRL? Probably.
04-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #2142

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Hear, hear! My number one irritant. I have even had one of my best friends, who was obviously trying to be nice, rave about some of my recent images and actually say "it is just so great how the modern cameras can get such wonderful photos." I love the lady to death but had to change the subject to avoid saying something inappropriate.
My favorite compliment has to be, "Beautiful photo, you must have a very nice camera." :sad:

I've found that people do relate more to the camera. If I bring a DSLR with a big honking zoom, everyone is excited about the pictures to come.

If I bring a smaller fixed length lens, even though it is more appropriate and sharper, there appears to be a little disappointment.

If I bring a P&S with a good lens and image quality, people feel let down. "Didn't you bring your good camera? As if I am saying they are not worthy." Doesn't seem to matter that the P&S was selected for speed and flexibility in a long day of shooting on the run.

Though when you give them a print, if you tell them, "This one is from the *insert fancy cam name here*." They will nod knowingly and say, "Yes, very nice.. It shows."
04-30-2013, 03:31 AM   #2143
Loyal Site Supporter

Class update... 8 cameras: 3 Nikons, 4 Canons, 1 Pentax. Part of the instruction/discussion involved selecting/changing settings for things like AF (S or C?), exposure compensation and so on. Rather a lot of time had to be devoted to the Canon folk, menu-diving, scowling at the manual, instructor shaking his head ("I'll have to research that, I guess..."). Of course my K-r came through with flying colors, settings right there on the LCD and simple to change.

During the AF discussion, instructor separated the "entry level" cameras from the "advanced". K-r fell into the former (I guess it is, all things considered), with respect to cross-type points. Everyone check your manual for the specs... <haha> K-r has nine cross-type, not one, sir. Meanwhile Canon users (older Rebels) were still puzzling trying to figure out how to change from AF-C to AF-S and back again.

Then discussion of shake-reduction, lenses that have it and lenses that don't... "Or," I said, "you can get a camera with SR built into the body..."

Anyhow, all in all, K-r did well in all of this. Looking forward to the next class (next week)... maybe by then the C-folk will have figured out how to set AF-S
04-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #2144
Site Supporter

This past Saturday I spent a day at the NY Botanical Gardens. A great day, great weather and everything was in bloom! Saw many Canikons, an Olympus, but only one Pentax, MINE!

Alone again, naturally!

Regards,
05-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #2145
Veteran Member

I've found that people who choose Pentax, always do that for a reason (not by accident). They know what they need, they watch reviews, discuss (PF!) and don't just blindly trust what the salesman is saying. People who have "a strong backbone" are always rare, so there is nothing unusual in my opinion.

Also, I find Pentax users very interesting people.
Maybe half a year ago I found PENTAXIAN.com | The Community for PENTAX Users. I love the idea and the personalities of those Pentaxians. The only thing I didn't like, why there are only 4 of them?