Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #2191

Photos: Albums
Returning to this thread because it is fun.

Well, I think the reason you guys don't see any is because they are all here. I was on a charity walk just the other morning and saw two Pentaxes as well as mine... a blue K30 and what was either a K10D or K20D. There were very few other DSLRs about. But then, it was raining...

Seriously, I see a Pentax or two every week.

05-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #2192
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Luxury you have Kennedys !!!
I send my repairs across the ditch to them.
You have stock too
first time I've ever seen 'lucky' and 'Kennedy's' in the same sentence. .
05-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #2193
Pentaxian

another Monty Python reference falls on barren ground
05-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #2194
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
another Monty Python reference falls on barren ground
Nah, I got the 'luxury' reference, I just couldn't think of any way to use it...... Obviously that's why I failed the audition for the flying circus...

05-18-2013, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #2195

Just back from a vintage camera market (Cameraholics, Brisbane).

There were probably dozens of digital camera-toting folk in the hundreds who were browsing. There were several hipsters carrying K1000's and ME Supers, and when I stepped outside for a BBQ sausage there were three guys discussing the green button and how to use it for metering using M-lenses on their K-5s. One of the stall owners was an avid Pentax shooter, and to cap it all off a gentleman walked over and struck up a conversation about the Q I was carrying... he wanted to know what I thought of the Q-K adapter and whether I had shot telephoto with it yet...

This is obviously a Pentax Bermuda Triangle or something...
05-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #2196
Pentaxian

Heck Man sounds like a great day
05-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #2197
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Nah, I got the 'luxury' reference, I just couldn't think of any way to use it...... Obviously that's why I failed the audition for the flying circus...
Yeah it's hard to tie down a good pun

I was surprised you had issues with Kennedys though.
My experience has been very good
05-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #2198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOtherRob Quote
Just back from a vintage camera market (Cameraholics, Brisbane).

There were probably dozens of digital camera-toting folk in the hundreds who were browsing. There were several hipsters carrying K1000's and ME Supers, and when I stepped outside for a BBQ sausage there were three guys discussing the green button and how to use it for metering using M-lenses on their K-5s. One of the stall owners was an avid Pentax shooter, and to cap it all off a gentleman walked over and struck up a conversation about the Q I was carrying... he wanted to know what I thought of the Q-K adapter and whether I had shot telephoto with it yet...

This is obviously a Pentax Bermuda Triangle or something...
.... or the "Twilight Zone". are you sure it wasn't a dream.

Did those Hipsters actually have film in their cameras, or just carrying them around for the looks? if you followed them to a cafe and spotted them taking pictures of their dessert or lattes (whatever) with their Iphones you could catch them out.

05-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #2199

@ Transit: It WAS a great day. I am not normally into markets but I was helping a friend run her stall and was pleasantly surprised. There was some amazing stuff there and I managed to pick up a Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 and a Pentax-M 80-200mm f4.5, both in great nick.

@ Steve1307: Well, some of the cameras looked like they were out of the Twilight Zone. If it was a strange vortex for Pentax DSLR's, it was also a vortex for weird Soviet and Eastern Bloc cameras. As for the hipsters, funny you should say that but I did watch one of them trying to load his lomo film into an ME while his mate coached him using an online tutorial... on his IPhone. No joke. So, amusing as that was I suppose its proof that the cameras weren't just for street cred. But then, I remember all too well my own first humiliating public film loading experience only a few short months ago (I still blush at the thought), and so I refrained from laughing and pointing. Much.
05-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #2200
Pentaxian

@ Transit: It WAS a great day. I am not normally into markets but I was helping a friend run her stall and was pleasantly surprised. There was some amazing stuff there and I managed to pick up a Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 and a Pentax-M 80-200mm f4.5, both in great nick.
Good scores,that M zoom is real sharp
05-19-2013, 02:32 AM   #2201
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa Lazarou Quote
Pentax's UK marketing sucks, is it any different overseas?
Here in Scotland, we have to buy our Pentax kit in a different country, not strictly overseas as we're joined to it, but a different country none the less.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 05-19-2013 at 07:15 AM.
05-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #2202

I don't understand "Canikons" or anybody else that spends a lot of time fussing about equipment if they call themselves photographers. I have cameras and lenses not to have equipment, but to take pictures. I am interested in having adequate equipment, (Pentax, Nikon, Canon, or whatever) to get the images I need. In the old days, l do not remember hearing writers argue about the relative merits of their individual typewriters.
05-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #2203
Veteran Member

@ Steve1307: Well, some of the cameras looked like they were out of the Twilight Zone. If it was a strange vortex for Pentax DSLR's, it was also a vortex for weird Soviet and Eastern Bloc cameras. As for the hipsters, funny you should say that but I did watch one of them trying to load his lomo film into an ME while his mate coached him using an online tutorial... on his IPhone. No joke. So, amusing as that was I suppose its proof that the cameras weren't just for street cred. But then, I remember all too well my own first humiliating public film loading experience only a few short months ago (I still blush at the thought), and so I refrained from laughing and pointing. Much.
I wonder if those Hipsters were loading the film in backwards with the emulsion on the wrong side to get some funky "analog instagram" lomo style colours. Or maybe they ground the bayonet mount down a bit for some cool light leaks or used the special film that's gone well past its expiry date. Film that is actually still in date is just sooo... "mainstream".
You can probably tell I don't much have time for hipsters. Their "philosophy" is OK, but now they seem to be copying each other to the point where they themselves are becoming mainstream. There's a certain irony in that.

I, myself had a film mishap today. I found my Dad's 55 year old Agfa, no idea if it worked properly and tested it out with a roll today for it's first time in 45years. Since it was the first time for me too since the mid 1980's, I very carefully loaded the roll making sure it was threaded in correctly and engaged with the teeth on the spindle. I noticed things were going wrong about 1/2 way through . I managed to shoot about 45 frames from a 24exp film. The shaft on the winder was slipping in the take up spool I guess as when I realised some frames were only advancing about 1/3 or 1/2 as much as they should have so I think I've got some multi-exposure stitched panoramas in there.

Anyway, glad to see you had a successful day with a few laughs.
05-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #2204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
or used the special film that's gone well past its expiry date. Film that is actually still in date is just sooo... "mainstream".
Ahem, cough-cough, I've got a whole bag of that stuff, lol. Not on purpose of course. It was given to me, and I'm just too damned cheap to waste it. Stuff expired in 2006 and has been stored in an attic, car trunk, and now my basement.
05-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #2205
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by oldsalt19 Quote
I don't understand "Canikons" or anybody else that spends a lot of time fussing about equipment if they call themselves photographers. I have cameras and lenses not to have equipment, but to take pictures. I am interested in having adequate equipment, (Pentax, Nikon, Canon, or whatever) to get the images I need. In the old days, l do not remember hearing writers argue about the relative merits of their individual typewriters.
I have to disagree there. From what I know some writers are very particular about their typewriter. Some refused moving to the computer, or are Apple loyalists, need a certain typewriter, ... There's probably a forum out there where writers discuss whether an Olivetti is better than an IBM... To be honest I am quite particular about my keyboard, and so am I about my camera. I do like to carry a Pentax, not just because I think it is the perfect tool but also because they are rare (though I certainly hope Pentax will be more successful down the road).