Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #2221
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Moving right along, I was at a great photography seminar series (Hudson Valley Photographers Network) for various phto clubs in the Hudson Valley of NY. Out of about 50 attendees, only one Pentax, ME, AGAIN!
I do like being an individual!

06-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #2222
Site Supporter

Man! I DO have to get one of these older lenses and put it on my K7, or better still, my K-01! Talking about a head turner!

Nice!
06-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #2223

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I did the Sydney Morning Herald Photos1440 Workshop last Sunday
I saw that in the paper... but Brisbane isn't Sydney. Oh, well.

The selectors must have been after a particular look. That second photo is my preference too... great lens flare and dramatic palette. The first looks like a (very nice) postcard.

I am beginning to think I must be hallucinating. Was out with my K1000 in town the other day trying not lo look like a hipster while taking some long(ish) exposures on tripod with cable release. Saw a stormtrooper K-x... passed close enough for me to identify it positively. I pointed and waved, but the owner just looked at me strangely and quickened his pace. Seriously, all the Pentaxes are here!!!
06-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #2224
Site Supporter

I saw someone running around with what looked like a bridge camera with a Kodak logo. I figure those must be much less common than Pentaxes, but I still haven't seen a Pentax yet.

06-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #2225
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOtherRob Quote
The selectors must have been after a particular look. That second photo is my preference too... great lens flare and dramatic palette. The first looks like a (very nice) postcard.
I agree about the postcard look. The more I look at it, the less I like it. My wife doesn't like the flare in the second one. I do.
06-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #2226
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
I have a buddy who's a Nikon guy, has always been a Nikon guy, when he bought his DSLR, he bought at Nikon - didn't look at any others. He's happy with his choice. However, recently when we were out shooting, he asked me "why Pentax?" I handed him my camera and said lets trade for the afternoon. At the end of the day's shooting, we traded camera's back. He said he'd answered his own question - he was impressed.
My friends either own a Canon or Nikon. I get the same responses (Most of the time)

QuoteOriginally posted by sawicksted Quote
Big box stores are putting all the smaller photography stores out of business and thus the average sales rep is a minimum wage highschool student trying to pay for their cellphone!
Took my K-30 to Best Buy to find a camera bag. Sales rep was trying to sell me D5100 (face palm)

QuoteOriginally posted by sawicksted Quote
For the first time DSLR purchaser it is a struggle to understand the terminology and generally price wins out. If you can't try it before you buy it it is very difficult to fork over your hard earned money. Here enters the big box stores - they have product on their shelf but I doubt that you'll find an "informed" opinion or knowledeable sales rep to help you make a good decision.
My brother told me that some other Camera store has to sell Pentax, which I know they don't. So I made a bet with him (case of beer) to show me where I can find a Pentax.
Ended up winning
www.snapsort.com is a good way to research your next camera
06-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #2227
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Why am I not surprised by this in the least. Last time my wife was in the states for meetings (pre obamacare) health care came up - "you've got that communist medical system up there don't you?"

She answered - yep and we live in igloos and the skiing is great in July :
I just fell over laughing
06-08-2013, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #2228
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
I just fell over laughing
Haha, yeah. Right now I live in an Islamic country (I'm an atheist from Europe) where the healthcare is completely in government hands. It is friggin awesome. Treatment is good and extremely affordable (mostly free, foreigners like myself pay a tiny fee). While there are many things wrong with this country (like the election fraud, the price of cars or censorship in movies), healthcare isn't. The less the private sector is involved in healthcare, the better it is IMHO. In Europe I was under a mixed private/public system, and it was ok, certainly better than what the US had. But completely government controlled? It's wonderful. Makes it accessible to everyone at low prices.

Also Pentax is doing sort of okayish here. The distributor offers free workshops to Pentax owners, there are a few shops selling the cameras (most don't though).

Canon ran an billboard ad campaign that had a pretty lady with some EOS camera, more or less saying (in 2 words) something like "EOS, what else?" or "EOS of course". Appeals to the sheep mentality some people seem to have, I guess. There is no Pentax advertising.

I have family members who, without my influence have Pentax DSLRs (but one of them has to use Canon at work), amongst my friends I'm alone though. Tried to convince a friend, but he went for Panasonic instead. He likes to travel, but he doesn't like to carry around a big and heavy camera + lenses. So at most he was willing to accept APS-C, but he also wants something with a high focal length... 400mm equivalent or higher. Pentax doesn't have that (with AF, and for APS-C. FF lenses were unacceptable). Also he wants high frame rates during video shooting. Now he has a GH3.

Last edited by kadajawi; 06-08-2013 at 11:07 PM.
06-09-2013, 05:35 AM   #2229
Veteran Member

Well I managed to find one other Pentax user among several hundreds of people at Vivid Sydney last Tuesday.

here's the evidence:

06-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #2230

I saw someone with a K-r the other week, apart from that Pentax users are quite rare where I am.
06-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #2231
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have only seen two pentax shooters in the past year around my area, I know of 5 locals that have Pentax camera's (population around 7,000). Wish I was still one myself, but when the ex took the K-5, and still no FF released.. I know I made the right choice... but I sure do miss the size and layout of the K-5, I just wouldn't trade my D800 for it... ever.
Some entry level shooters that are not too sure of what they want and such I talk to them about camera brands and what they need/want from the gear.. I honestly hold nothing back about trying to steer people away from Canon gear, I'm just not a fan of their convoluted menu systems and button layout.. less of a fan of their archaic sensors (keep flogging the dead horse Canon!). But I do try to push Pentax a little.. unless they know people with Nikon gear, because face it.. being able to "borrow" and try some lenses/flashes etc for free is sure hard to beat!
This is a great little bit about popularity of Pentax and it's ability, I'm sure many have seen this already..
06-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #2232
Loyal Site Supporter

Cameraholics Fair

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOtherRob Quote
Just back from a vintage camera market (Cameraholics, Brisbane).

There were probably dozens of digital camera-toting folk in the hundreds who were browsing. There were several hipsters carrying K1000's and ME Supers, and when I stepped outside for a BBQ sausage there were three guys discussing the green button and how to use it for metering using M-lenses on their K-5s. One of the stall owners was an avid Pentax shooter, and to cap it all off a gentleman walked over and struck up a conversation about the Q I was carrying... he wanted to know what I thought of the Q-K adapter and whether I had shot telephoto with it yet...

This is obviously a Pentax Bermuda Triangle or something...
Hi,

I have just noticed your post regarding the annual Cameraholics Fair. The next fair is scheduled for the first Sunday in June, 2014, and we already have over fifty percent of the tables booked.
I also had a good day as in I picked up an SMC Pentax 6x7 75mm f4.5 Shift lens in excellent condition.
How are you going with your search for a 6x7 outfit?

Regards.
06-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #2233
Veteran Member

Saw a Pentax K-7 with a grip and Sigma wide zoom mounted on it, in Surfers Paradise yesterday afternoon. Wasn't sure if it was a K-5 or a K-7 until I approached him and excused myself and tell him I am a Pentax user as well, he didn't recognize the yellow K-01 + the silver FA 43. He mainly uses old stuff he said and a couple of third party zooms. Asked if he knows about pentaxforums.com but he said no. It was 20 minutes of talking about what we normally like shooting and where we live etc. All I can say is that we have a special bond between each other and that makes it a lot more fun being a Pentax user. I felt elated after at last talking to a fellow who uses the same system. You can't do that with Canikony or other stuff I guess, seeing that they're a lot of them and makes them uninteresting. My POV. O gosh I approached him and asked if I could take his photo together with his gear but I ended up forgetting it. and that was all I'm up to in the first place so I can show it here. Bummer.
06-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #2234
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,

I have just noticed your post regarding the annual Cameraholics Fair. The next fair is scheduled for the first Sunday in June, 2014, and we already have over fifty percent of the tables booked.
I also had a good day as in I picked up an SMC Pentax 6x7 75mm f4.5 Shift lens in excellent condition.
How are you going with your search for a 6x7 outfit?

Regards.
That's a year from now, but it's making me so excited.
06-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #2235

Hello Gordon; you may have me at a disadvantage. If we we met at the fair, I didn't connect you to the poster who scored that fabulous sounding kit in the 6x7 thread. Well done, on that!

As for my own 6x7 adventure, I have vowed to stay clear until I have my 35mm film processes up to a satisfactory level. I have a good K1000 kit now (thanks to a couple of purchases at the fair and a gorgeous Pentax-M 80-200 4.5 and M-28 2.8 immediately after), but am still struggling with the finer points of developing. After I have that sorted, I will start enlarging, with most of the bits and pieces for a darkroom already scrounged and assembled. Only after I have my analogue workflow for 35mm sorted will I allow myself to think about the 67 again. Maybe at that point I'll drop you a line and you can show me the gear you scored... so I will have an idea of the standard to look for! I was very envious reading that list of gear.

Cheers.

Oh... and I didn't see any Pentax cameras today that weren't mine...