Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2010, 06:52 AM   #211

During the last Worldwide Photo Walk in Milan (Italy) there were a lot of Canon DSLRs, then Nikon, two Sony DSLRs and one Pentax K-X (mine)
I was able to do all the things other people did so I don't complain, I only saw the Tokina 8-16 F2.8 in action and I would like to have it also for my Pentax....

08-22-2010, 12:18 AM   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The reason no one is seeing pentax cameras on the street is that they are all in Budapest this weekend. I lost count when it took more fingers than I had on one hand, not counting the two I have
08-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #213
Site Supporter

I saw a person with a K10d and another one with a K-7 & DA* 16-50mm at a festival near Tallahassee yesterday. The person with the K-7 came up and talked to me. He had a *istDS before. That is the 1st time in 6 years I've seen a digital Pentax in the Tally area. I saw 3 Canons and 2 Nikons not counting the Nikon I had taken with me for my second shooter to use.
08-29-2010, 02:37 AM   #214

Pentaxian

A happy man on a mission, I guess...

08-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #215
Forum Member

yes we are, but who cares.

I was on vacation with my family recently in Virginia Beach. As you can imagine I was the only Pentaxian (K200D, love the AA battery capability). Humidity probably 70%. Hundreds of Canikons. None wheather sealed at my price range! I used a cheap Tamron 75-300 lens that I bought for 139 dollars for the zoom range (full frame equivalent 105-450).

I am not a pro, I don't shoot any pictures be it landscape, birds, flowers or otherwise, if there is not a member of my family in it. Just pictures, I can download from a stock photo site.

We went parasailing, with a few others. Each showing of his/her mighty canikons. It was a perverse pleasure, when they asked me to shoot them with my Pentax because they couldn't get it right. Don't get me wrong, they had cameras which cost three times what I paid for my gear. Those cameras were capable of producing pictures as good or better than what I could with mine. It is not the gear folks, it is the person behind it. I admit if I were to make a living shooting sports pictures, I wouldn't use Pentax. But, if I am on a budget, I want to get the best bang for the buck, I will go with Pentax.

Besides, there is a reason for my brand loyalty. The first film SLR I bought was Pentax SFX (European version). I took pictures of the love of my life, who has stuck with me for over 20 years, with that camera. A 35mm that I could blow up to 30x40inch size.

To get good results with Pentax, you should use your brains. You want to delegate that responsibility to a machine, go with canikon. I drive manual transmission. Automatics are for canikons. Cheers.
Attached Images

08-30-2010, 02:07 AM   #216

Photos: Gallery
Ive seen quite a few Pentaxians where I live, especially with the K200D. Which I used. (Before selling a few weeks ago, oh god it hurts.)

Funniest/coolest memory being when I was selling some prints at an outdoor art show, and two guys swung by and said to their wives, 'Hey, he has the same camera as me'.

Heh.

Love you Pentax.
08-30-2010, 03:40 AM   #217
Veteran Member

I think the rarity is nice since it brings closeness and the feeling of proudness of having someone that is the same as you. it's like a tourist lost in France that is as glad as finding himself a fellow tourist.

if majority of the people have the same brand, it would feel common or generic already and feel less special. just imagine if most people drive a ferrari or for all women wearing the high end Vera Wang.

08-30-2010, 04:28 AM   #218

I forgot to mention that the girl who ran the show held some photography degree from Toronto or something crazy like that.

At the end of the show she said that after seeing my photos she 'Has to get a Pentax'.

08-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #219

spotted a few more in the wild

Also in Vancouver and live near Granville island. I've spotted a K100, K20, K-x, K-7 and a K-m in the past say month or two. With all the tourists in the area, i have seen D90s, 7D's, tons of Rebels (and the various spawn of Rebel) and a few Sony's.

I myself am trying to make myself obvious with my own K-7. =)

While all of the local shops carry Pentax, i have to admit that one particular store (L&S) derides the Pentax product to a point that I would not return there for any reason.

Surprised to see more zooms than limiteds out there tho. I suppose the local pricing kinda makes it a bit difficult to justify one of those. I myself only have the value oriented DA40
08-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #220
Pentaxian

Saw YACP (yet another canadian Pentaxian) in the Porter Airlines lounge at YTZ this weekend. Young guy with a white K-x and what looked suspiciously like an SMC-A 35-105mm, taking pictures of the new baby. Not in my nature to intrude on new parents when the kid is actually quiet for a while...

So we're not that rare, even with manual glass!

_
08-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #221

The funny thing that happens nowadays are that people take me to be a real pro.

I'm the guy with two cameras and several lenses of a brand that nobody else are using... some people makes the assumption that my Pentax gear are some special costly equipment.

When somebody feel the K10 or K7 body and compare with the plastic they are carrying themselves it usually only adds to the "pro" impression. (Yep, K7 with 50-135, KatzEye, batt.grip and ME-53 look kind'a cool...)
08-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tiltman Quote
The funny thing that happens nowadays are that people take me to be a real pro.

I'm the guy with two cameras and several lenses of a brand that nobody else are using... some people makes the assumption that my Pentax gear are some special costly equipment.

When somebody feel the K10 or K7 body and compare with the plastic they are carrying themselves it usually only adds to the "pro" impression. (Yep, K7 with 50-135, KatzEye, batt.grip and ME-53 look kind'a cool...)

That has happened to me a few times, especially with teenagers carrying entry level Canikons. The kit lens hood and the big Sigma 530 flash grab their attention. And if I use a flash bracket.... ohh what an exotic rig! Must have cost a fortune!
08-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #223
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
. . .especially with teenagers carrying entry level Canikons. . . .
Don't even get me started on that! When I was planning on buying a K-x, I told a friend who shoots Nikon and she automatically assumed it was because I couldn't afford a "better" brand. I actually got a few compliments in my newspaper class after shooting portraits of some of the staff members for our website. One girl said my camera took much sharper photos than another person's Nikon. I just told her it wasn't the camera; its the photographer. I was using an M 50/1.7
08-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #224
Forum Member

I shot a wedding over a week ago, I actually have co-workers that brought a Canon Ti1. I do not dis their camera, as they do not dis mine either. but surprising, a lot of people say it is a nice camera. as odd as it is, shooting with a black K100D and a white K-X was odd, but I used the K-X for most of the 770 shots. in my region, Pentax is extremly rare, staples and walmart do not carry Pentax cameras, but do carry Nikon and canon. funny enough, I found walmart carried the Ti1 for $799. I ordered mine from beachcamera.com for $508, I can afford a telephoto lens and lots of extra batteries. my nearest camera store ran an ad for other DSLR cameras, no pentax, not even in their store, but yet have the lens to fit it. go figure.
08-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
....especially with teenagers carrying entry level Canikons.
Im the rarest of the rare in pentax land.... a 16 year old with a pentax using 90% film glass!