Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #2236
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
I have only seen two pentax shooters in the past year around my area, I know of 5 locals that have Pentax camera's (population around 7,000). Wish I was still one myself, but when the ex took the K-5, and still no FF released.. I know I made the right choice... but I sure do miss the size and layout of the K-5, I just wouldn't trade my D800 for it... ever.
Some entry level shooters that are not too sure of what they want and such I talk to them about camera brands and what they need/want from the gear.. I honestly hold nothing back about trying to steer people away from Canon gear, I'm just not a fan of their convoluted menu systems and button layout.. less of a fan of their archaic sensors (keep flogging the dead horse Canon!). But I do try to push Pentax a little.. unless they know people with Nikon gear, because face it.. being able to "borrow" and try some lenses/flashes etc for free is sure hard to beat!
This is a great little bit about popularity of Pentax and it's ability, I'm sure many have seen this already..
Nikon D7100 vs Pentax K-5 II S - YouTube
The YouTube was amusing, but the way those young guys wandered about, waving the cameras without neck/shoulder/wrist strap made me cringe! I think everyone at some time or another drops a camera, I know I did. Only a foot or so onto a table, but ... why would anyone with an ounce or two of sense run the risk? Or is this just my Old F**T nature coming through.

06-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #2237

Photos: Gallery
I've watched several of the videos and the guy admits that he's drop a few. In fact, I remember one where he did drop one.
06-16-2013, 05:41 PM - 3 Likes   #2238

I've been working as a cheesy souvenir photo photographer at a major tourist attraction here in Atlanta since late May. About every week or every other week, I will always see 1 or 2 tourists (among thousands each day) with a Pentax. However, yesterday something extremely rare happened. I saw over 10 Pentax users in 1 day. I saw several K-x's, K-r's, K200D, K100d, and etc. I walked over to a gentleman from Europe and complimented him on his K100d. He called it a very good friend that has been all over the world with him throughout the 6 years that he's owned it. I never thought I would see this happen!

By the way, at work we have to use a Nikon D60. Not my cup of tea. I feel like my K-r outperforms it n every way possible.

Last edited by amayers3; 06-16-2013 at 06:24 PM.
06-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #2239
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amayers3 Quote
By the way, at work we have to use a Nikon D60. Not my cup of tea. I feel like my K-r outperforms it n every way possible.
It should, being newer, and it does.

06-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #2240
Veteran Member

By the way, at work we have to use a Nikon D60. Not my cup of tea. I feel like my K-r outperforms it n every way possible
Why doesn't your place of work allow you to use your k-r?
06-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #2241
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I forgot to mention it when it was current, but Pentax pro and occasional poster here on PF, Kerrick James was recently featured in an article in the Landscape Issue (May) of Outdoor Photographer magazine. No mention of Pentax but a nice selection of his photos, along with his commentary on including people in landscape images to emphasize scale.
06-19-2013, 02:26 AM   #2242
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, except flash sync
If Pentax had even just 1/250s, it would be awesome... but 1/500s in manual or TTL is FTW

06-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #2243
Veteran Member

I've seen a rapid growing of Pentax user in my country in recent months, not just new, first timers, but switchers.
We are no longer a cult, guys. If FF did materialize, we would be nothing but common people..
06-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #2244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Yup, except flash sync
If Pentax had even just 1/250s, it would be awesome... but 1/500s in manual or TTL is FTW
FTW? I tried to find it online but the references don't make sense in a photographic context.
06-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #2245

I think "For the Win" makes sense based on the post.
06-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #2246
Veteran Member

Pentax Malaysia is actually doing some work to promote the brand... they just posted this on facebook:

Seems to be some bird watching event...
06-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #2247
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
Why doesn't your place of work allow you to use your k-r?
I have a D80 at work... the "company" camera. Much prefer my K-r, to be honest. I suppose that the boss wouldn't care which camera I use, but I choose NOT to subject my personal gear to the work environment. If something goes wrong, it's the company gear that will be repaired or replaced or whatever... I am 100% certain that my boss would not pay a penny towards repair, wear-and-tear, etc. on my personal gear. The tripod is mine (couldn't do the work without it, but it walks out with me when I'm finished with this employment), so are a a few odds and ends of kit, but on company time, I use the company camera.

Now, if the D80 should meet its maker and a new camera be in the offing, I would of course recommend replacing it with Pentax...
06-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #2248

I just posted a new thread on this, before I saw this one, but yes, we're rare. And I don't really get it.

I have loved Pentax since the 35mm film days and my DSLR Pentax takes great photos. I couldn't expect more out of a DSLR. But my Pentax is the only one I ever see.

Recently I was in Maui and saw a lot of DSLRs, but not one other Pentax. Not one. I just don't get it.
06-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #2249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the record: this is my favorite Thread.
06-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #2250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
For the record: this is my favorite Thread.
+1.
Also, I seem to get e-mail notifications only about this thread.