Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #2311

Photos: Albums
I was in Seattle this weekend, and while I wasn't looking at cameras the whole time, I didn't see any Pentax when I was. I saw a ton of Canon and Sony (mainly the mega zoom kind) and a a few Nikon and Olympus.

07-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #2312
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Henry's is paid by Canon and Nikon to preferentially advertise, teach with, display, and promote their products. Nikon actually pays more for a better place in the store while Canon supposedly has better employee discounts. This is how chains make money. They are not, and never have been, independent advisors. It's just how the sales incentive market works.
08-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #2313
Veteran Member

I have just spotted a Pentax...

Also a Canon with a Pentax strap. It's good that he used the Canon for the risky stuff.

And... what an awesome product he reviews!
08-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #2314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I witnessed a Pentax camera purchase today. I was in the St. Johns area of Portland, OR at Blue Moon Camera and Machine (a great little shop BTW) browsing and buying and a woman came in with her daughter and asked to look at a used camera for her son for school. The clerk asked if she had any lenses or access to them and what brand they might be. She said they had some Pentax lenses but no camera. The clerk then recommended a nice used K1000 since he was learning photography. I didn't get in on the entire conversation, but it's a smallish shop so eavesdropping wasn't too difficult. Due to the receipt printer running out of paper we got bunched up while paying and I commented that I had a couple of Pentax cameras and I thought she would be very happy with the one she was buying. I also threw in that it was easy to find other lenses used that were reasonably inexpensive. From there the clerk elaborated on the benefits of the many Pentax lenses that will fit the K1000.

08-14-2013, 08:52 AM - 2 Likes   #2315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Doing a little tourism today in Carcassonne in southern France. Beautiful mediaeval walled city which brought the cameras out. The canikons were mostly in evidence, of course; mostly entry level models, some with the built-in flash permanently up, and none that I saw with a lens hood attached. There was one C*non FF, loaded up with a grip, a long zoom (+hood) and a huh-yuge flashgun attached, so that the owner was doing a passable impression of the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Two Sonys, one Olympus - and six Pentaxes! Three K30s, two K-5s (including mine) and a X-90 bridge. Not a bad haul, methinks.

08-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #2316

In France I have also seen a Pentax at the Pont du Gard. It was a k10d. In the rest of my holidays I've only seen CaNiSo. But I haven't seen a lot of cams in my hole holidays, one week.
This weekend in the swiss alps (near Zermatt) I have seen a white Pentax k?? I have took my K7 in the mountain, and I have lost my lens cap.
08-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #2317

Saw a K-5ii at Monsal Dale in Derbyshire

08-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #2318
Veteran Member

Saw my first Pentax user at the Kitchener Blues Fest............

Had to give him a hug :P

K-r with a zoom lense that I have never seen..............
08-15-2013, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #2319
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With promotions like this:

Pentaxians should boom soon in our little archipelago.
08-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #2320
Veteran Member

I'm so excited for what ever is coming very soon.
08-16-2013, 05:09 AM   #2321
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote

I was down in Mindanao last Friday, & there was a wedding reception at the hotel i was staying at.
They had 3 photographers working together but 2 had Canon the other a Nikon. (i wonder how they'll match up the white balance properly)

They we doing some of the incidental shots without that bride or groom that usually get thrown in the album editing, you know closeup of the the shoes, jewelry, flowers in the hotel staircase, decorations etc etc
As I had to step over his setup in the stairway,, half jokingly I mentioned to one of them, "Hey you guys should be shooting Pentax being patriotic and all that"..... he took a look at the Nikon in hand and said "errrr.....I've got a K-5 at home " <sir>.
08-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #2322

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote

Hey Alizarine,
I am from Mexico but had the chance to visit your beautiful island of Cebú (Mactan) as well as Makati this past month July. Great experience to be there and wanting to come back again. I took my K-x for the ride but didn't see any other DSLR. Regards.
08-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #2323
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Henry's is paid by Canon and Nikon to preferentially advertise, teach with, display, and promote their products. Nikon actually pays more for a better place in the store while Canon supposedly has better employee discounts. This is how chains make money. They are not, and never have been, independent advisors. It's just how the sales incentive market works.
I tend to agree with you.... that's why I don't like to shop at Henrys, I would rather shop from online retailers like Prodigital2000 in Canada.
08-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #2324
Veteran Member

Okay, today I was shooting my town's parade with fellow photoclub members, in the middle of the show my Nikonian friend rush to me and told me that he spotted a foreigner shooting Pentax with a really huge lens some 1000 meters away down the road. I went searching, but I guess the odds of finding someone in the middle of a swarm of thousand of people...
08-17-2013, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #2325
Forum Member

As far as I can remember, I haven't seen any pentax in my life. The first one I am going to see is the one arriving home next week, the Pentax K30.

I only see the canon straps everywhere (and sometimes I can spot a Nikon one)