Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #2371

Photos: Albums
I think that for some reason CaNikonians are just horrified of going even near to water...

I managed to spot Pentaxian in resent trip to Oulu, guy carried Kx with Sigma 18-50 lens. I think he got it from the same bargain basket as i did. Absolute rare sight, we were quite deligted to meet within scenery where everyone carries Canon with hood-reversed-kit lenses...

09-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #2372
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jan178 Quote
I think that for some reason CaNikonians are just horrified of going even near to water...

I managed to spot Pentaxian in resent trip to Oulu, guy carried Kx with Sigma 18-50 lens. I think he got it from the same bargain basket as i did. Absolute rare sight, we were quite deligted to meet within scenery where everyone carries Canon with hood-reversed-kit lenses...
Did you forget to mention the pop-up flash as well?
09-14-2013, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #2373
Pentaxian

Today I encountered another Takumar user for the first time ever in the real world rather than on-line.

I was looking at a load of cheap old zoom lenses in a charity shop this morning, and another guy who was also there trying to sort the wheat from the chaff mentioned that he liked Takumars. Since Taks are pretty much all I ever use, it felt like meeting a long-lost brother. It turned out that the guy uses his Takumars on Canon, but he clearly knew his stuff. He said, and I'm quoting this word-for-word from a Canon user: "Whenever I see someone using a Pentax I know that he knows what he's doing."

I've always known on a sort of abstract theoretical level there actually are other Takumar users out there in the world. But, wow, it was a joy to actually meet a fellow true-believer for real.
09-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #2374
Site Supporter

Not really a Pentax but....

While Flora and I were enjoying a cold soft drink at the Atlanta Zoo a guy with a red DSLR strolled past. I called out "Is that a Pentax?" He replied, "No, a Nikon." I told him I didn't know Nikon made red DSLRs. Copy cats....

09-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #2375

Saw one yesterday. I was in the hills by an old monument. No one for miles around. Guy and wife turns up and he had has a Pentax!
09-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #2376

Photos: Gallery
Today I was in Venice: I saw a whole lot of Canikon and only ONE Pentax!
09-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #2377
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gian Carlo Quote
Today I was in Venice: I saw a whole lot of Canikon and only ONE Pentax!
Lots of sheep - only one wolf!
09-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #2378
Pentaxian

I feel like Canon is a dying breed too. Was at an event today, there were like 5 or 6 bigger cameras, except for one Canon they were all Nikon. There was one mirrorless, and it was a Nikon 1 camera... (wtf? It's the least interesting mirrorless on the market IMHO). The rest were phones and tablets, point & shoots seem to have vanished. And when it started to rain everyone sought shelter... except for me.

Last edited by kadajawi; 09-14-2013 at 11:12 PM.
09-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #2379
Site Supporter

I was at the Land Rover Expo today and saw a bloke with a Pentax. I spoke to him and mentioned the forum.

It turned out it was squizzytaylor (Geoff) from this forum.

Geoff lives about 200km away.

Last edited by p38arover; 09-24-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Blasted iPad spell check
09-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #2380
Pentaxian

I am currently in Chiang Mai, Thailand, doing basically nothing for the next few months.

Last night I was at the Sunday market.

I saw THREE people shooting Pentax. They weren't in a group either.

This is on top of another person I saw last week shooting with a Pentax.

This is despite the fact that Pentax has nearly zero presence here. Pantip mall is stacked with lots of camera stores, none of them sell any Pentax gear. In the Airport Plaza mall, there is a whole section of one floor dedicated to camera stores, and I only saw one store that had a single Pentax body for sale. There is only one store I've seen so far in the old city that sells Pentax gear, and it's only for Q lenses and bodies.

I've seen more people shooting Pentax here in less than a month than I've seen in Vancouver ever.
09-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #2381

Question: Firstly do Samsung still mke DSLRs? And if they do, did they not utilise a Pentax fit for lenses? If the answer to these questions is 'yes' then surely a real marketing drive by Samsung (given its dominance in smart phones and TVs) would surely do a whole lot of good for Pentax?
09-16-2013, 02:02 AM   #2382
Forum Member

Good feedback from a Canon user

Had a pleasant surprise as a corporate 'gala' day. I often contribute most of the photos of special events, but this time there was an "expert" from "head office publicity" type of guy, complete with 6D and video hood - man that's a serious looking camera, a bit of size envy here - and I braced for the snarky remarks on my k5II - but couldn't have been more wrong.

He actually volunteered that it was a great camera, one of his friends had the k5, and he loved the build, and thought it was an awesome video machine too!! He taught me a few details around video shooting (which I need to re read and revise but atleast he tried )
09-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #2383
Pentaxian

@Richard Briggs:
Nope. They only do mirrorless from what I know, and have their own mount for that.

@Waratah: Yeah, the K-5 is awesome for video, apart from the hot pixels which are a pain in the ***. As for the size of the 6D... it's not the size that matters, it's the technique. To be honest I find the size and weight of those big Canikons very off-putting. I want a camera that gives me a great usability experience and great photos without having to worry about size, weight, weather. I simply wouldn't bring along a 6D if I had one, cause I couldn't be bothered to carry it around. The K-5 is already almost too much, in that respect I miss my *istDS.
09-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #2384
Pentaxian

I was in Charleston last week and saw a lot of Canon shooters. Only a handful of Nikons - mostly mirrorless and superzooms, only one D5000. My Pentaxes were the only ones I saw there.
09-24-2013, 01:45 AM - 2 Likes   #2385
J90

I live in an affluent county in the UK and everyone has a Canikon. I'm often sneered at for my Pentax choice particularly when taking photos at sporting events.
However my reply is "Have you sold any of your photos?" and the answer is always "no". I then ask if they have ever had their photos used as A1 size posters and the answer is "no".

I however have funded my Pentax DSLR kit via sales of my sport photo's.
For example one of the combo's I use is a Pentax K5 with a Sigma EX f4 100-300mm & a matched 1.4x teleconverter for really long shots. On other occasions I'll use my 60-250 instead.

I'm quite happy to be in the minority because I know that full knowledge of your equipment and it's limitations combined with well practised technique will always trump some idiot with a top of the range Canikon with cheap glass or a megapixel counter with a Canikon body and lens combo.

Bit of a rant I know but I'm losing patience with Canikon know all's.

Oh hello everyone, this is my first post