Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #226
Forum Member

We recently went on a 5-day cruise. DSLR's everywhere! I didn't see any other Pentax, just the other two brands -- mostly Nikons.

A few years ago, I ran into a German guy with a Pentax during a boat tour. His companion pointed me and my camera out to him, then we exchanged the, "Hey there, friend. It sure is nice to see another Pentax user" glance.

08-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #227

I've never seen another Pentax guy in the US, but when I was travelling Europe, I saw at least 10! The majority were K-x's; I saw a couple K20d's, a couple K7's, and a K200d.

The most coolest (is that a word?) was the Canon guy I saw shooting with what looked like a Takumar.

EDIT: Here's a 100% crop with some rather aggressive sharpening to make out lens markings. Looks like a Tak to me!
Attached Images

Last edited by Kryosphinx; 08-30-2010 at 10:28 PM.
08-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #228
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
That has happened to me a few times, especially with teenagers carrying entry level Canikons. The kit lens hood and the big Sigma 530 flash grab their attention. And if I use a flash bracket.... ohh what an exotic rig! Must have cost a fortune!
the hood makes a lot of difference in the world. speaking of which, how many newbies know the importance of a hood? so that alone is true with the notion that the person behind the camera, knows something that a non-hood user doesn't.
same with a flash, especially a macro. also having a bigger lens. anyone who knows the importance of such things are considered above novice level, but not entirely or automatically a pro.

however, the notion of having a bigger camera, is rather an exception or a case to case basis, as it is not an immediate criterium of a person having more knowledge than your average P&S shooter.

as far as experiences goes, Yes, I do get a lot of compliments from novice shooters, especially when I'm using those old MF lenses. since most novice shooters that I had met, never had to use MF or afraid to do so. they are more reliant on AF. the biggest headturners would be, when I borrowed an SMC TAK 300/4 and a Zeiss Jenna 180/2.8. and you know how big, heavy and hard those lenses are. the build alone of those 2 lenses makes the newer lenses look cheap, with the exception of super-tele Sigmas and L lenses which are metal built as well.
09-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #229

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i saw numerous Pentax on a recent holiday.

One guy glanced over at mine, we exchanged looks at lenses, lol (he had his DA* 16-50, i had my FA31mm ltd on)

needless to say pretty much ALL of the Canon/Nikons only had the kit lens.

09-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #230
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used to think we're really rare. However, and a few days ago in an event in Toronto I was surprised that after several P&S, then Nikon & Canon DSLR users, I saw 4 people with Pentax (2 of them were using K-x), the other was K100/200? and the last one was a film camera )
At the same time I just saw one Sony DSLR and no Olympus. I don't count on that specific event as general, but it seems Pentax is not totally uncommon in this part of the world.
09-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help I'm surrounded

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
I used to think we're really rare. However, and a few days ago in an event in Toronto I was surprised that after several P&S, then Nikon & Canon DSLR users, I saw 4 people with Pentax (2 of them were using K-x), the other was K100/200? and the last one was a film camera )
At the same time I just saw one Sony DSLR and no Olympus. I don't count on that specific event as general, but it seems Pentax is not totally uncommon in this part of the world.
I can see 3 pentax DSLRS all within 10 feet of me , an *istD, a K10D and a K7D, in addition there is a PZ-1, a KX and a poor man's pentax (Ricoh XR-2s)
09-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #232
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I can see 3 pentax DSLRS all within 10 feet of me , an *istD, a K10D and a K7D, in addition there is a PZ-1, a KX and a poor man's pentax (Ricoh XR-2s)
I have never seen a K7D in my life; should be a nice camera ;P
Btw, how many Pentaxians behind the wheel? I guess this to be a better meter.

Cheers

09-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #233

I only know 5 people with DSLR's, there are 3 Canons and 2 Pentax's. The 2 Pentax belong to my father in law (K20d) and sister in law (K10d) I think that if I had boughten anything besides a Pentax I would have been disowned lol! I don't regret my decision, I love my little entry level K-m!
09-02-2010, 05:09 AM   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
I have never seen a K7D in my life; should be a nice camera ;PCheers
the K7 is a great camera IMO.

I passed on the K20 because it came out so quickly after the K10 and except for the High ISO I did not see significant changes in the rest, especially metering, that made me want to upgrade.

The K7 was commercially available in local stores the day the shutter failed on my K10D, so perhaps I was a little more motivated to upgrade. I got the K10 repaired and it is back -up camera and principle MF camera, with a split image focusing screen installed.

Fundamentally, there are a few things I really like with the K7, and these are metering, extended dynamic range options, and high ISO performance. Although I have used the other features, these are the three that stand out

It is also the quitest camera I own.
09-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #235

Well, I work in Manhattan on 44th between 6th & 7th. That's only a half block away from Times Square. I walk from Penn Station to 44th Street in the morning at 8:00 AM and back to Penn in the afternoon around 4:30 cutting through Times Square from 42nd street to 44th every day Monday - Friday.
There are always plenty of tourists snapping pictures all over the place. As a form of entertainment and sheer curiosity I've been counting how many Pentax users I spot, since I bought my K7 back in January.
Would you believe that this morning I finally spotted someone with a Pentax? I saw the red PENTAX embroidery on the neck strap from a short distance in front of me. It was a K20, the owner was real happy with the camera- said it takes great shots!
I know there's nothing scientific about my observation but it amazes me that this is the first Pentax I came across.
Could it really be that many people don't know what they're missing?
09-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #236
Veteran Member

It was only a matter of time. Saw a Pentax Kx in white in Ruby's diner at the end of the Oceanside pier.

I had my K-7 and F 135mm with me, but had it on the seat when he walked by :ugh:

Pretty neat looking camera in person I must say!

If that was you hit me up with a PM
09-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #237
Veteran Member

09-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #238
Inactive Account

so were not the "cool kids on the block".

....were with the smart group
09-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #239
Veteran Member

saw one yesterday at a restaurant which appeared to be a k-x. too bad he's too far and was about to walk out the door.
09-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #240

Same here!

I'm a part time pro photographer and I always have to justify why I went for Pentax instead of Canikon. I usually answer ergonomics, affordable weather sealed glass and bodies and affordable but ultra good optics.

Everytime I get some place where there's many photographers, I usually end up being the only one using the K-mount brand!

That said, I'm now considering very seriously going for a D300s or 7D. The IQ will be almost similar, but the AF performance will be much better and the K-7 is starting to hinder my shooting possibilities, especially in the AF departement.

A camera is a tool... if a Pentax fits your need better, why even argue about your choice? I mean, some professionals use Holga and one-time use disposable camera to get certain moods for their photos, photos which make it into nation-wide advertisement campaigns! Next time people ask me what brand I use, I'll say Kodak one-time use cameras!

So the %$#! with the brand... It's the photographer's talent that matters.

However the good thing is, if I switch to Canon or Nikon, I won't have to justify myself anymore!