Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #2386
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome J90! I think it is great that you are able to make some money off of your Pentax DSLR kit

09-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #2387
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by J90 Quote
Oh hello everyone, this is my first post
Welcome to Pentax Forums!
09-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #2388
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome J90. I feel your pain with the Canikons. Today I had yet another pleasant afternoon's walk on Dartmoor spoiled by a prick with a Canon marching right into my frame while I was lining up a photo, then getting to onanistic work with his carbon fibre tripod and willy-extension zoom lens without so much as acknowledging my pre-existence at the scene with my mere K1000 with Takumar 20mm and Velvia 50. Do Canons give off some sort of digital radiation that turns the people who use them into mutant w******s?

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 09-24-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Pentax Forums doesn'at allow the full spelling of w****s
09-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #2389
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by J90 Quote
Bit of a rant I know but I'm losing patience with Canikon know all's.
The best way to deal with them is to not engage in conversation...

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve

09-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #2390
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Do Canons give off some sort of digital radiation that turns the people who use them into mutant w******s?
Nah, it's not the camera's fault. It's the marketers' fault.

Kind of like white BMW owners being the biggest *&#@s on the road....
(white cars, not drivers)

Last edited by TER-OR; 09-24-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: clarified potentially racist-sounding sentence
09-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #2391
Veteran Member

A little late to the party on this one, but... I've seen more people with Mamiya RB67s/645s than I have with Pentax DSLRs!

I just converted a friend, though, he was about to go with Canon and I stopped him. Explaining:

Yes, lower resolution, but more often better dynamic range when comparing comparable priced bodies

Metering with EVREY lens that you can get on the front of the body.
Image stabilization with EVERY lens you can get on the front of the body.
Weather-Sealing on all but the most basic models
A lot of models take AA's, as do most Speedlites, so you can have one charger and batteries that will work with everything.

... Then the fact that even the lowly K100d with some old M42 lenses had better colors and sharpness than the Canon and kit zoom he was about to buy for more money!

The one Pentax guy I met in the wild was super nice. I don't know what it is, but to me, it seems like the Canikon crowd have the immature level of brand loyalty common with video game fans when comparing Playstations and Xboxes...
09-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #2392
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Nah, it's not the camera's fault. It's the marketers' fault.

(white cars, not drivers)
Round the Atlanta area blue BMWs seem to be the inverted porcupines. That is, the p****s are on the inside.
09-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #2393
Lens Buying Addict

In St. Louis the BMW's are dark blue and sedate, driven by old men in the right lane. It's the Prius'es that are driven by Priapuses at 85mph in the left lane.

Nikon's are shot by couteous (if self-important) old men, Canon by aggressive women and dads shooting children, anything pocketable by hipsters and middle-aged moneyed elite (who constantly photo-bomb), phones by middle schoolers and mothers.

I see lots more Pentax film cameras than digitals and I've had more pleasant conversations in the six months since I started carying an MZ-S around with 2 FA prinmes and 2 F zooms than in all the years I've owned a Pentax dSLR.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-24-2013 at 07:13 PM.
09-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #2394
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
anything pocketable by hipsters and middle-aged moneyed elite
This is true, and I hate it. Driving up the prices of old folding cameras, Russian, Canon, Leica rangefinders. I have been considering supplementing my cameras with a rangefinder, until I discovered I could get a Bronica ETRS for the price of a junky Russian rangefinder and a couple lenses...

I guess an ME Super with the 40mm M series would be sweet, too, but the price definitely outweighs the performance of that lens...

In St. Louis the BMW's are dark blue and sedate, driven by old men in the right lane. It's the Prius'es that are driven by Priapuses at 85mph in the left lane.
Same thing with Arizona. Then they would come into the dealership and complain about not getting 50 MPG when they're trying to drive it like a sports car...
09-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #2395
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
BMWs seem to be the inverted porcupines.
Forum members excluded, of course
09-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #2396
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Forum members excluded, of course
Speaking as a Prius driver who has averaged over 50mpg for the past 9 years, I'll allow the exemption.
09-24-2013, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #2397
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
I guess an ME Super with the 40mm M series would be sweet, too, but the price definitely outweighs the performance of that lens...
MESuper and a K35/3.5 comes close in pocketability, is scary sharp and renders color beautifully. At one time they were rare and people fought over them. More recently they're about $129.
09-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #2398
Veteran Member

MESuper and a K35/3.5 comes close in pocketability, is scary sharp and renders color beautifully. At one time they were rare and people fought over them. More recently they're about $129.
Is the K35/3.5 better than the SMC Takumar 35/3.5 in terms of color and size? If so, I'll have to check it out. I love my SMC Tak 35.

My current portable setup is an ME Super and the SMC Tak 35, or one of my SMC-M 50mm's. The 35 is slow enough that focusing even in shade with a filter on isn't possible with the split prism.

Any other reccomendations on super portable lenses? I usually take the ME Super backpacking, and I've been looking at paring down my kit. Between my GF and I, we usually end up carrying an ME Super, MX, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 58mm, 135mm, extension tubes, filter kit, tripod, occasionally 200mm, occasionally a Spotmatic, and occasionally either a K100d or a K-X and an 18-55... Not exactly portable anymore! Last hike we had 3 film cameras, a digital camera, and 6 lenses!

Back on topic, though-- When factoring film cameras, I do see more Pentax film cameras than Canon for sure, and probably equal to Nikon film cameras. Pentax film shooters (actually almost all film shooters less those with Holgas or other Lomo toys) are always pretty awesome.
09-24-2013, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #2399
What'chu lookin at

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote

The one Pentax guy I met in the wild was super nice. I don't know what it is, but to me, it seems like the Canikon crowd have the immature level of brand loyalty common with video game fans when comparing Playstations and Xboxes...
An excellent comparison. One could even compare Pentax to PC, in the pc/console debate
09-24-2013, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #2400
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
An excellent comparison. One could even compare Pentax to PC, in the pc/console debate
Definitely agree here. Compatibility wise for games, hardware peripherals, etc, is superior on PCs, just like Pentax has such excellent and wide lens compatibility! (Flash compatibility on old cameras, too... Wish they would bring back old school TTL again!)

Plus, with gaming, there are plenty of childish, immature children (and adults!) that play games on PC, but it's definitely less of a ratio to those that are on consoles. Just like how there are less pricks that are Pentax shooters.