Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #2401
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,436
QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
Is the K35/3.5 better than the SMC Takumar 35/3.5 in terms of color and size? If so, I'll have to check it out. I love my SMC Tak 35.

My current portable setup is an ME Super and the SMC Tak 35, or one of my SMC-M 50mm's. The 35 is slow enough that focusing even in shade with a filter on isn't possible with the split prism.
They're both sharp, wonderful lenses. I believe the K version is identical in optiocal design to the M42 SMC and probably larger in diameter.. Coatings may be slightly different. I've sold most of my film cameras now and the MESuper has catastrophically died, but in the past I often carried just the MESuper and the K35 since the FL was so versatile.

09-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #2402
Veteran Member
fretlessdavis's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Benson, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 496
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They're both sharp, wonderful lenses. I believe the K version is identical in optiocal design to the M42 SMC and probably larger in diameter.. Coatings may be slightly different. I've sold most of my film cameras now and the MESuper has catastrophically died, but in the past I often carried just the MESuper and the K35 since the FL was so versatile.
Thanks for the info on the K35, I was just scoping some out. Not worth it considering I got my SMC Tak for $40 shipped with an extra filter, case, and caps!

I love that 35mm, although I'd rather have something in the true normal range for taking nothing but one lens. My favorite everyday lens on digital is a 28mm....

so I guess I'm stuck saving up for an FA 43mm, then!
09-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #2403
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,167
QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
I do see more Pentax film cameras than Canon for sure
Absolutely! I have seen the following brands of film cameras in the wild over the last couple of years:
  • Pentax
  • Nikon
  • Olympus
  • Miranda
  • Ricoh
  • Mamiya
  • Hasselblad
  • Holga*
  • Diana*
The only Canon film camera I have seen was the Canon P rangefinder hanging around my own neck. Sadly, no Konica or Minolta either.


Steve

* After all this is the Portland area and everyone knows that cheap plastic cameras go well with skinny jeans.
09-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #2404
Veteran Member
fretlessdavis's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Benson, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 496
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Absolutely! I have seen the following brands of film cameras in the wild over the last couple of years:
  • Pentax
  • Nikon
  • Olympus
  • Miranda
  • Ricoh
  • Mamiya
  • Hasselblad
  • Holga*
  • Diana*
The only Canon film camera I have seen was the Canon P rangefinder hanging around my own neck. Sadly, no Konica or Minolta either.


Steve

* After all this is the Portland area and everyone knows that cheap plastic cameras go well with skinny jeans.
Flagstaff is much the same. Excluding film cameras I use, this is what I've seen (in descending order of frequency)

Pentax
Nikon
Olympus (always an old rangefinder, never an SLR!)
Mamiya (saw 2 different people with M645 1000s's in one day at the Grand Canyon)
Ricoh
Bronica

If you include what I have used and haven't seen others with, add:
Graflex
Miranda
Yashica
Zenit

There's also an awesome display at the one film photography gallery downtown here with everything from an Instamatic to an 11x14 camera in the window, from every era and every brand. The center of the display, which is I think what the guy uses most often, is an 8x10, Mamiya 7, and Nikon F6. I still have yet to make it down there when the guy is around... I'd love to chat him up.

Also, would anyone else agree that (EXCLUDING plastic/toy cameras), when you encounter someone shooting film, they're generally friendlier than most digital shooters?

Also, has anyone noticed that there's hardly any photo courtesy anymore? I had some lady who had obviously seen me snapping a shot walk right in front of me with her Canon. I asked her what her deal was and her response was "Why do you care? It's not like it wastes anything, just take another picture." To which my response was, "Actually, between film, developing, and scanning or printing, you just wasted $0.50 worth." She looked confused.

Anyway... Sorry for the tangent, but we were on the topic of encountering other shooters in the wild... I'll spare everyone the future facepalm and not tell the story of the one D3X shooter I met, that was also a Smithsonian photographer.

09-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #2405
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,609
Some friends used Canon SLR cameras, but mostly cause they were inherited, and the cameras weren't anything special. Modern-ish SLRs only.

There are lots of Pentaxians in Johor Bahru, Malaysia it seems.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.641416532559646.1073741843.130044220363549&type=1

I wanted to go too, but was I was too late with the registration.

Oh and when I went to my Pentax store to buy try... well, buy the DA 50 1.8 I saw they had a ton of Qs in all sorts of colors (all dummies though), and of course everything else Pentax, including a 645D. They also have everything Nikon, Olympus, ...
09-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #2406
Veteran Member
hongzhibin1987's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 441
I know this is a long-term discussion. But yes, I think Pentaxians are rare.
But one fact we all need to notice is that, rare doesn't mean superior. Most of us can't afford a 645D, and lack of FF just makes us "incapable" when talking to Canikons.
Pentax did make tons nice cameras/lenses back to film era; plus the nice build and prime-lenses are the reason why I stick to it, even my loyalty is lowered after years waiting.
Cons of Pentax are just too many to say: sizes, build quality of bodies, very friendly to old PK lenses and M42s, but I really don't know how to make Canikons shut up when talking about "regula digital FF". We just don't have it.
Sigh.
09-25-2013, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #2407
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,144
QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
...but I really don't know how to make Canikons shut up when talking about "regular digital FF". We just don't have it. Sigh.
You could always just change the subject to digital medium format and ask them what Canikon has to offer in that.
09-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #2408
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,436
QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
I really don't know how to make Canikons shut up when talking about "regular digital FF
It's sort of like arguing about sports cars. They all go over the speed limit and they get there in 4.5 seconds or less - but so what? A 6 cyl. Acura sedan gets there in 6.5 seconds, has all the same adult toys and I saved $50M - $80M dollars.

Eventually, like most of the threads here, all conversations with a Canon shooter go there.

I just shrug my shoulders, agree and say, "Yeah, sure, but I don't care. I don't want it, I don't need it. I don't print big and I like what I have. And I saved $20,000 on lenses" They can't really argue with that and I just don't care what they think about it.

Nikon guys seem to get it.


Last edited by monochrome; 09-25-2013 at 03:19 PM.
09-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #2409
Veteran Member
fretlessdavis's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Benson, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 496
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Eventually, like most of the threads here, all conversations with a Canon shooter go there.
Then just point out that a K-5 is 75% cheaper than a 5D MKIII, and has 2.5 more stops of dynamic range, built in image stabilization that works with all of our lenses. Also, who cares about 6 extra megapixels, when the K-5 will definitely look better up to 11x14, and the 5DIII will have better 'resolution' at 16x20 under magnification, but we still would probably win with overall image quality =)

However, they don't seem to listen to reason, and their responses usually go like this "but...... full frame!!!"
09-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #2410
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,436
QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
However, they don't seem to listen to reason, and their responses usually go like this "but...... full frame!!!"
Which is why I just shrug my shoulders. The Nikon guys at least grin when I reach in my bag and grab my new-to-me FF MZ-S and FA35/2.
09-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #2411
Veteran Member
fretlessdavis's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Benson, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 496
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Which is why I just shrug my shoulders. The Nikon guys at least grin when I reach in my bag and grab my new-to-me FF MZ-S and FA35/2.
Hmm. I guess to continue the console analogy, that would make the Canon guys just like the XBox fans....
09-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #2412
Veteran Member
hongzhibin1987's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 441
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
You could always just change the subject to digital medium format and ask them what Canikon has to offer in that.
nice attitude, but how to act like "yo kiddo I do have a medium DSLR"? probably it is time to get a 645D bag
09-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #2413
Veteran Member
hongzhibin1987's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 441
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Which is why I just shrug my shoulders. The Nikon guys at least grin when I reach in my bag and grab my new-to-me FF MZ-S and FA35/2.
Bump for your signature
09-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #2414
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,609
QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
I know this is a long-term discussion. But yes, I think Pentaxians are rare.
But one fact we all need to notice is that, rare doesn't mean superior. Most of us can't afford a 645D, and lack of FF just makes us "incapable" when talking to Canikons.
Pentax did make tons nice cameras/lenses back to film era; plus the nice build and prime-lenses are the reason why I stick to it, even my loyalty is lowered after years waiting.
Cons of Pentax are just too many to say: sizes, build quality of bodies, very friendly to old PK lenses and M42s, but I really don't know how to make Canikons shut up when talking about "regula digital FF". We just don't have it.
Sigh.
Wait a minute. In APS-C terms I do think Pentax is very competitive. The build quality of the bodies is superior to what Canon builds (unless you go for high end models like the 7D, but if Thor sees them he'll throw Mjölnir away and start using the 7D to smash his enemies. Way too big and heavy). To be honest I haven't had a Canonian come to me trying to thrash my Pentax, if they did, we'll, I think I could fight back. No image stabilization, no sensor shift function (i.e. half a tilt shift lens built in, working with any lens), no stabilization during video shooting (you can immediately see if someone uses a Canon or Nikon to shoot video... *wobble*). Also, will the Canonian really have a FF body? Most likely not. I rarely ever see a pro body from Canon in the wild, not even the APS-C ones.
09-26-2013, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #2415
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,167
So, how about those rare Pentaxes, eh?


Steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
brand, camera, canon, cell, choice, companies, domination, dslr, eastman, favor, fear, lens, nikon, pentax, people, phone, photography, pm, post, result, scroll, steve, time, tools, water, wheel, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K 28mm/2 (rare ?, value ?) mactansblue Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 28 08-28-2010 09:57 AM
Landscape Rare Precipitation skid2964 Post Your Photos! 8 12-19-2009 08:50 PM
How rare is this lens? raymeedc Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 11-20-2009 02:31 PM
The rare F50mm f/1.4 coqui Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 05-14-2008 06:09 AM
A rare find indeed... !! Marc Langille Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 19 10-31-2007 01:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:54 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top