Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #2506
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would be thrilled to use the official strap, but I find it waaaay too short. So I've (reluctantly) had to swap it out for an aftermarket strap that's more comfortable.

Hm... a DIY project...convert the official strap somehow to wear with my fanny pack, or somesuch rube goldberg contraption...

11-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #2507
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't used the "official" strap in years. It is just too narrow, hard and slippery. I replaced it with a really good neoprene "Smugmug Pro" strap I got in a workshop swag bag awhile back. Wide, soft and a little stretchy, I can carry it for hours comfortably and it is tacky so does not slip off my shoulder.

If Pentax had decent branded straps - even after-market - I'd happily advertise for them but I won't burden myself with that nasty little toy strap they provide.
11-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #2508
Veteran Member

For a camera with liveview, the strap is too short. I can't get my eyes to focus on the screen...
11-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #2509
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOtherRob Quote
Really guys... where are you all living? I haven't posted in a while (this is one of my favourite threads), but I keep seeing Pentaxes all over the place. Was walking across King George Square today and saw a white K-r on a tripod being operated by a young bloke. His girlfriend had a red one.

Make no mistake... I see ten or twenty times as many other brands.... but that still means about five or ten percent of cameras is a Pentax, so I see one every few days. Then there is the K1000 thing that was happening with the hipsters round here a while ago...
2nd Largest Oktoberfest is in Kitchener, Ontario Canada.

I live in Toronto

I know I've seen only 1 Pentax traveling........sad I know

11-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #2510
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
enough to drive one to drink
No kidding

People coming up to me asking how to use their own Camera properly...............................
11-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #2511

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
No kidding

People coming up to me asking how to use their own Camera properly...............................
Last weekend, Halloween party, EXTREMELY cute girl, first time I saw her, comes to ask me how to use her recently acquired camera, asked about mine and asked me for advice and whatnot.. Oooooh... yeah.
11-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #2512
Pentaxian

Just talked to a colleague who said he had a box of Pentax M lenses he nearly disposed of because he did not know he could use them with currnet bodies. I saved him taht sadness and suggested he look at getting a currnet body to go with them. He will talk some more.

11-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #2513
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FoTom Quote
Last weekend, Halloween party, EXTREMELY cute girl, first time I saw her, comes to ask me how to use her recently acquired camera, asked about mine and asked me for advice and whatnot.. Oooooh... yeah.
Were you wearing the Batman mask? Might have been that.
11-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #2514
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Nice idea, but they do give us a nice camera strap with "PENTAX" in big, friendly, red letters on it. I wear mine with pride, as I like to be different from the unknowing herd who, poor things, have never experienced the delights of our brand. But sometimes I think I ought to fit a Canon strap, so my camera doesn't get stolen
Not really... what thief would be stupid enough to steal a Pentax? How on earth is he going to sell it? Unless he doesn't know about cameras, but otherwise he'd be targetting Canon or Nikon. Easy to sell.

Saw a tripod in a big shopping street in Beijing yesterday... camera mounted on top. Noted a red strap. Thought... mh... Pentax?! Got closer, saw that it was a 645D. The owner noticed me staring at the camera in disbelief, then after a moment started to smile. Maybe he saw my red strap... now I can claim the biggest baddest mofo of a camera I saw during my China trip was a Pentax. Plenty of D300, D600, 5D, ... and also quite a few Sony. Easily more than there are Pentax, Olympus or Panasonic (Olympus and Panasonic are also more common than Pentax...).
11-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #2515
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Not really... what thief would be stupid enough to steal a Pentax? How on earth is he going to sell it? Unless he doesn't know about cameras, but otherwise he'd be targetting Canon or Nikon. Easy to sell.
errr... It was a joke: I was having a friendly little dig at Canon. But thieves will steal anything. To most of them, I imagine, a camera is a camera.
11-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #2516
Veteran Member

Saw a tripod in a big shopping street in Beijing yesterday... camera mounted on top. Noted a red strap. Thought... mh... Pentax?! Got closer, saw that it was a 645D. The owner noticed me staring at the camera in disbelief, then after a moment started to smile. Maybe he saw my red strap... now I can claim the biggest baddest mofo of a camera I saw during my China trip was a Pentax. Plenty of D300, D600, 5D, ... and also quite a few Sony. Easily more than there are Pentax, Olympus or Panasonic (Olympus and Panasonic are also more common than Pentax...).
That reminds me of my Alaskan cruise... most interesting thing besides the glaciers was seeing someone on the deck (in the drizzle) with a 645D (I took a shot of him taking a shot!).
Outside of that - it was someone nice enough to lend me his jumbo zoom (my 18-200mm fogged up on my red K-x). I'm not sure - but I think it was a 60-250mm Pentax... either way the short end was a few feet away for focusing, and it was heavy.
11-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #2517
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SirBismuth Quote
Was the only Pentax I saw at a road race this weekend, just saw Canikons. Some guy came over to me and asked me what camera I had, I told him a Pentax K-30, he looked confused, said he had a Nikon, had never heard of Pentax, and walked away.... never got to find out which Nikon, and where it was.

B

Yeah. Get that sometimes myself
11-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #2518
Veteran Member

I feel like Canon is a dying breed too. Was at an event today, there were like 5 or 6 bigger cameras, except for one Canon they were all Nikon. There was one mirrorless, and it was a Nikon 1 camera... (wtf? It's the least interesting mirrorless on the market IMHO). The rest were phones and tablets, point & shoots seem to have vanished. And when it started to rain everyone sought shelter... except for me.

What can you say about the Rebel Series...............Trust me I got tons to say about that brand of Canon's

Haven't seen/tried one of those Mirror less ones yet.........Guess I should

I love the rain............(Down in Africa)
11-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #2519

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Were you wearing the Batman mask? Might have been that.
Dammit, I knew I was missing something.. =P
11-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #2520
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I have the hat, but I paid for it.
I got the hat for free at a K7 promo tour...

Steve