Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #2521
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,643
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
People coming up to me asking how to use their own Camera properly...............................
Yep...happens to me too. They see the Pentax name and assume you are a pro.


Steve

11-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #2522
Senior Member
FoTom's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 165
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep...happens to me too. They see the Pentax name and assume you are a pro.


Steve
Well, 8-9/10 they're going to be right, no? I know exactly zero Pentaxians in real life, but when I meet one, I'm pretty sure he or she is going to know what's what with their camera. I think that, going back to what the thread is about, yes, we are that rare, and at least in my opinion and what I can observe is that the Pentax brand is reserved for those who love the art and craft of photography, even pros who shoot Canikon.. they'll save their Pentax for their personal stuff [even when the Pentax is capable of shooting a professional work].
11-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #2523
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,622
I'm happy to help people learn. The only difficult part is digging through menus - hell, I can't remember where half the stuff is in the K-5's menu! Just because they're using an entry-level DSLR doesn't mean they don't want to know more about the hobby. I usually recommend they join an online forum, too.
11-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #2524
Senior Member
devouges's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 189
In Quebec, Canada, I have come across ONE Pentaxian at a beer festival.

11-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #2525
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,643
QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote
In Quebec, Canada, I have come across ONE Pentaxian at a beer festival.
Try the wine festival...
11-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #2526
Site Supporter
grhazelton's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro, GA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,817
We recently spent a week in the Smokey Mountains in Western North Carolina enjoying the crisp, clear fall weather and the fall colors. Of the dozens of Canikons, cell phones and tablet shooters I saw exactly one Pentax, a K 100 I think. He was not a native from his accent, so he may have bought his camera abroad. BTW the K 5 did very nicely shooting a guy in a kayak practicing white water work at Nantahala, the scene of national competitions.
11-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #2527
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,772
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Try the wine festival...
Funny you should mention that, since the other board I frequent is a wine board. I do think I am the only Pentaxian in any of my wine groups, though.
11-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #2528
Veteran Member
Pepe Le Pew's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 589
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Funny you should mention that, since the other board I frequent is a wine board. I do think I am the only Pentaxian in any of my wine groups, though.

That stinks

11-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #2529
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 85
In a local camera store today, they have a modest Pentax section (4-5 k30s plus a few bits), overheard the sales team having a lugh, one was on the phone to a customer "Yeah yeah its ordered, sweet, and when you ring up to see if it's in yet, you have to remember ask if the RICOH k3 is in, not the PENTAX k3, the Richoh k3! Got it? Yeah we've got ten of them coming in" - I took that a as good sign.

Last edited by Waratah; 11-08-2013 at 04:12 PM.
11-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #2530
Site Supporter
BigDave's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,581
Sorry, its the Pentax K3 from Ricoh. Like the Chevy Malibu, from GM!

Regards,
11-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #2531
Veteran Member
abmj's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central California
Posts: 600
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Waratah Quote
"... you have to remember ask if the RICOH k3 is in, not the PENTAX k3, the Richoh k3! Got it? ..."
I would have a difficult time thinking this person knows what he is talking about - or trusting him.
11-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #2532
Site Supporter
BigDave's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,581
Executives and marketing people at Ricoh better understand the importance of Branding and Brand loyalty. If they think they can muscle in their name and make Brand awareness, with the little money they are spending on it, they will certainly have some surprises coming. Ricoh was NEVER a brand that anyone beyond amateurs accepted. Mamayia had a name (gone but for Medium format), Exacta had a name (gone), Minolta had a name (now Sony, and Ricoh is not a Sony), Olympus has a name, but has decided to stick in the small sensor realm. Nikon and Canon have names. Pentax still has a name, but it has been ignored for the past 10-15 years, mostly because of poor marketing. There are others, but they are either non-existent or far outside the reach of most people's spending thresholds (e.g. Leica).

Push the name people know. Pentax is not that far gone (or I have gotten too old!).

Regards,
11-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #2533
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 85
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Executives and marketing people at Ricoh better understand the importance of Branding and Brand loyalty. If they think they can muscle in their name and make Brand awareness, with the little money they are spending on it, they will certainly have some surprises coming. Ricoh was NEVER a brand that anyone beyond amateurs accepted. Mamayia had a name (gone but for Medium format), Exacta had a name (gone), Minolta had a name (now Sony, and Ricoh is not a Sony), Olympus has a name, but has decided to stick in the small sensor realm. Nikon and Canon have names. Pentax still has a name, but it has been ignored for the past 10-15 years, mostly because of poor marketing. There are others, but they are either non-existent or far outside the reach of most people's spending thresholds (e.g. Leica).

Push the name people know. Pentax is not that far gone (or I have gotten too old!).

Regards,
Yes and know. Gotyo say so far Ricoh's attitude to quality and consistency are as important to me right now as 'Pentax loyalty' - ultimately if we can keep the best 75% of each partner in this conumation I truely think this thread will become redundant.
11-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #2534
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,772
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
That stinks
In point of fact, I have only met one other Pentax DSLR owner from ABQ. He and I showed up to shoot the same event four years ago (asked by the same person), and both appeared with a K20d.
11-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #2535
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,190
Minolta (with their mount owned by Sony) is pretty much dead now also thanks to the E-mount and NEX. Pentax and the K-mount, after being bought twice in a few years, is still very much alive and giving a good punch at Canikon sometimes.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
brand, camera, canon, cell, choice, companies, domination, dslr, eastman, favor, fear, lens, nikon, pentax, people, phone, photography, pm, post, result, scroll, steve, time, tools, water, wheel, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K 28mm/2 (rare ?, value ?) mactansblue Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 28 08-28-2010 09:57 AM
Landscape Rare Precipitation skid2964 Post Your Photos! 8 12-19-2009 08:50 PM
How rare is this lens? raymeedc Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 11-20-2009 02:31 PM
The rare F50mm f/1.4 coqui Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 05-14-2008 06:09 AM
A rare find indeed... !! Marc Langille Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 19 10-31-2007 01:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top