Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #241
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
However the good thing is, if I switch to Canon or Nikon, I won't have to justify myself anymore!
Only to yourself - when you wake up at 3 AM in a cold sweat.

09-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
Same here!

I'm a part time pro photographer and I always have to justify why I went for Pentax instead of Canikon. I usually answer ergonomics, affordable weather sealed glass and bodies and affordable but ultra good optics.

Everytime I get some place where there's many photographers, I usually end up being the only one using the K-mount brand!

That said, I'm now considering very seriously going for a D300s or 7D. The IQ will be almost similar, but the AF performance will be much better and the K-7 is starting to hinder my shooting possibilities, especially in the AF departement.

A camera is a tool... if a Pentax fits your need better, why even argue about your choice? I mean, some professionals use Holga and one-time use disposable camera to get certain moods for their photos, photos which make it into nation-wide advertisement campaigns! Next time people ask me what brand I use, I'll say Kodak one-time use cameras!

So the %$#! with the brand... It's the photographer's talent that matters.

However the good thing is, if I switch to Canon or Nikon, I won't have to justify myself anymore!
there is one very important thing that I would surely miss if I ditch Pentax, and that would be the Pentax glass. before I went Pentax, all I wanted was a different kind of camera. a new innovation that is unique, before the dawn of the M4/3s. that was Pentax ergo, WR capability, and in-body SR. but what really sold me are the affordable glasses that produces astounding and unique images.

I can switch again anytime if I wanted to but will miss the images that made me fell inlove with Pentax.
09-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #243
Veteran Member

I was at the Saanich fair yesterday and about 25% of the cameras I saw were Pentax. I can't say there are always that many per capita, but they aren't that uncommon here.
09-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #244
Veteran Member

Went to Steveston Village, Vancouver, BC and the first camera I saw was a Pentax guy walking around. Had to do a double take because he had a big lens that I never saw before. I figured it would have to have been the 60-250 mm...I would say that Vancouver, BC is the Pentax Capital of the world in my opinion. I have literally seen people with the Pentax strap more often than I should. Also the Craigs list here used to have nice Pentax M and K style lenses...but now there aren't many of the good stuff.

09-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #245
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
Went to Steveston Village, Vancouver, BC and the first camera I saw was a Pentax guy walking around. Had to do a double take because he had a big lens that I never saw before. I figured it would have to have been the 60-250 mm...I would say that Vancouver, BC is the Pentax Capital of the world in my opinion. I have literally seen people with the Pentax strap more often than I should. Also the Craigs list here used to have nice Pentax M and K style lenses...but now there aren't many of the good stuff.
So true! I saw a guy on the bus with TWO large pentax cameras (or at least one of them was, didn't get a look at the second one), looked like a K20D with a battery grip or something. Also had what looked like a tripod and reflectors in a rather large camera bag; maybe he's a pro heading to a gig! If so, score another for professionals using pentax. And saw another old guy on Grouse Mountain a few weeks ago, also using pentax.
09-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #246
Veteran Member

in Korea, I'm close to the only one. A couple weeks ago I saw another foreigner with a KM same as me (she had a colored body) but I've never seen another pentax here. Pentax has almost no presence here and the prices show. You still can't get the W90 here, and when I bought my KM in Japan over a year ago the price difference was like $200-$300. Canon is everywhere here, and DSLR penetration in Korea is very high.
09-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #247

I was at our local exhibition today and there was a booth set up for a photography business... I took a peek at it, the pictures were great.. I was thinking to myself.. Shes probably got a Canon, just like every other professional photographer in my area.. I was ready just to walk away from the display until I saw her PENTAX K20 set on the table for everyone to see I didnt get to stop and talk to her about it but I was very pleased, you could tell she was thinking "Ha!, take that Canikon!"

09-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #248

Festival Canikons

I was shooting at a music festival last month, and most of the pit photographers had Canons with 70-200 2.8 etc, lots of Nikons too. A bit disappointing, but people go with what they know, don't they?

For the first three songs of each act we were allowed to be in the pit for, most of the others would stand around like statues with their huge zooms, occasionally shifting position; meanwhile I took the grand tour with my FA 50. (Such behaviour suits me, as I'm small and slim and can weave through crowds easily.)
I only took the 50 off once in two days and ~1000 shots - to take a wide shot of the main stage...
09-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #249

Photos: Albums
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in my photo program with a pentax, which my professor always thinks is a sony alpha. It kinda makes me laugh, also I kinda want a sony 850. But, I'm sure I'll stick with my k20d till the k5 (or whatever it is) is available on ebay. Either way, I'm standing out.
09-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
On a recent trip to the Las Vegas strip I spent some time camera watching. I spotted more Leicas (2) than Pentax (0).
Sooo, Pentax is a more exclusive brand than Leica.
Good to know.

Especially when I show people my "new" old camera. Pentax ME.
I take it with me during vacations, along with either k20 or k200.

Octav
09-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #251
Veteran Member

Those Leicas were probably just Pannys in disguise.
09-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #252
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Americans are simply too obsessed of the size. Don't believe me? Look at all the big bulky heavy cars that they have built Small Pentax? FAILED!
This is so true. I belong to several photo groups and the canon photographers love bragging about their huge 80-200 lens. Bigger is better is the idea here in America. I really like a small camera it works for me without weighing me down and hindering my creativity or my ability to capture. Try shooting a full frame with one hand...not going to happen.
09-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #253
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Really, the average American consumer would be happy to shoot with cameras like the KX and K7 and put the extra money they would otherwise spend on Canikons in their pocket. That type of person is not rare. What is rare is a place to put your hands on the gear, touch it, peer through it and "kick the tires" so to speak. I would bet that a very large percentage of us on this forum have bought our gear sight unseen ( I ordered my K100D, K10D, K20D and K7 without ever touching a real copy) and that just isn't the way people spend 500 dollars or more on cameras.

I argue that if Americans could see Pentax gear along side the Canikons at places like Best Buy, we'd find shooters like us to be more common.

germar
They just opened a boutique in a camera shop in New York..so pentax is slowly getting out there. Further more...just like soda shelf space instores that is monpolized by coke and pepsi...it might be hard for Pentax to get gear in stores where there is already nikon canon sony olympus...
09-10-2010, 01:49 AM   #254
Forum Member

I was at a children's farm yesterday in Melbourne and I saw another K-x. I was going to go chat to the guy as I had my K-x but they got on the tractor to do a tour of the farm and I didn't get a chance. If you are the guy from the farm hello!
09-10-2010, 01:55 AM   #255
Veteran Member

Tomorrow Pentax Singapore users will have a big group outing planned.
Gonna mingle with more than 40 other Pentax shooters and counting. Will post a group photo later.