Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2398 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #2536
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was selling camera gear at a camera fair the other week. Everyone I asked, 'what brands do you shoot?' were: 'canon, nikon, nikon, nikon, leica, nikon, leica, leica.'

There were 2 people there who shot Pentax. Makes for hard sales, I tell you!

11-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #2537
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was nice to see a full page Richoh-Pentax ad for the K-3 in Popular Photography this month. And Outdoor Photographer magazine listed the K-50 as one of their best "under $1000.00" DSLRs with some very nice comments.

Starting to see a little more good press.
11-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #2538
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I noticed a full page K-50 (white?) ad in the Nov 2013 Popular Photography - showing that its available in 120 colours.
11-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #2539
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
First sighting at the zoo!

Back to the Atlanta Zoo Sunday afternoon with the grandkids what should I spot but a neck strap with RED letters! "Pentax!" I shouted, and the gentlemen said, with a grin, "Yes!" He was sporting a K 110 with an impressive zoom. We chatted a bit; he had shot with the MX, and also owned a *Ist, whether digital or film I don't know. We traded Asahi/Pentax firsts for a while, I'd imagine he'd had to defend his system against the Canikonian hordes, as have most of us. This was my first Pentax sighting at the zoo in several years of zoo going. I saw the usual tablets (what an ungainly way to take a pic!), cell phones, and the usual "off brand" DSLRs, some sporting gigonda zooms, all too often sans lens hoods. Some folk have too much money and too little photo sense! Or do Canikon lenses arrive without lens hoods?

11-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #2540
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
In point of fact, I have only met one other Pentax DSLR owner from ABQ. He and I showed up to shoot the same event four years ago (asked by the same person), and both appeared with a K20d.
Not a sighting - but - I attended a conference in New York Friday and was seated for breakfast with a woman from ABQ. I put my Q on the table - we got talking - she said her ex is a professional photographer. I asked her if he shoots Pentax - and she said yes.

We were interrupted and never got beyond that, but, hmmm . . . . . .
11-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #2541
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not a sighting - but - I attended a conference in New York Friday and was seated for breakfast with a woman from ABQ. I put my Q on the table - we got talking - she said her ex is a professional photographer. I asked her if he shoots Pentax - and she said yes.

We were interrupted and never got beyond that, but, hmmm . . . . . .
I was in NYC a few weeks ago and ran into another camera enthusiast. I was about to ask the same question, when he told me he had just plopped down $7,000 to pre-order the latest Leica M.
11-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #2542
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, Leicas are nice too. I can think of some other things to do with the extra $4 or $5K!

11-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #2543

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I saw the usual tablets (what an ungainly way to take a pic!)
That's a bit politer than what I say.

and on the subject of hoods, I need another one for my 18-55WR as I lost mine on a hill.
11-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #2544
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redimp Quote
I need another one for my 18-55WR as I lost mine on a hill.
How the hell did you not keep it on the K-30 :/
11-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #2545

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
How the hell did you not keep it on the K-30 :/
I don't know, it just wasn't there when I got to the bottom of the hill
11-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #2546
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know, it just wasn't there when I got to the bottom of the hill
This reminds me a lot of a certain CoD cutscene.
11-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #2547

Don't know if I've shared this. On our last Disney trip I met two, count 'em TWO Pentax users.

One was a female with a family similar to mine at Magic Kingdom. We chatted a for a few minutes while a parade went by. My wife rolled her eyes at my geeking out over her set up.

Later, during another Parade, I saw and older guy shooting with a pink Kr. I said something to him but I don't think he spoke much English. Saw him again at Hollywood Studios and waved.

Going again in Dec. I'll have my eyes peeled.
11-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #2548
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Little Lost Shooting Hood

That's a bit politer than what I say.

and on the subject of hoods, I need another one for my 18-55WR as I lost mine on a hill.
They do wear to the point that they don't reliably "click" into the locked-on position. All that harsh light, don't you know..... I haven't lost mine - yet - but I did score a replacement at a good price.

Maybe Canikon hoods are easily lost. I rarely see them in use. Not too bright of the Canikonians, but to be expected!
11-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #2549

Last month I went to Salamanca, here in Spain, and I saw an Asian girl with a Pentax DSLR. I couldn't take a good look at it, but I think it was a K100D. I saw her several times while walking around the cathedral.

Pentax is definitely not a common brand here, almost every DSLR user has a Canikon, but you also met pentaxians now and then. I met one in my city, Valencia, while visiting the aquarium on february and another one last year in Córdoba.
11-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #2550

I joined the local camera club and out of the 30+ members I am the only Pentax user - but on the bright side one of the members used to use Pentax and gave me a 50mm lens he had...