Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 06:53 PM - 2 Likes   #2551

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you think it's hard being a Pentax owner, try shooting with Samsung! Nobody ever take me serious with my Samsung until they see my shots and even then most are sceptical.

I do get fed up of the 'Why don't you buy a Canon/Nikon?' comments though. Usually from the Canon/Nikon people who buy the entry level body with a single kit lens who then go on to think they are David Bailey after a month of ownership.

I've been loyal to the k-mount for 20yrs and can't see it changing anytime soon. Shoot with what you know, get to know its strengths and work with it, and work around it weaknesses!

11-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #2552

Eh lad, been loyal to the k-mount for 37 years! And ye tell young folk that these days....

Richard
11-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #2553
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My bro and I went to see some celebrity signing books down at one of the book stores and my brother stumbled across a guy with a K-r. Oh, and here's my best shot, bloody people kept getting in the way

11-17-2013, 05:59 AM - 2 Likes   #2554
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
If you think it's hard being a Pentax owner, try shooting with Samsung!
I'm sad to confess that I've ended up painting over the Samsung logo on my GX-10. Things had reached the point where, if one more Canikon had marched up and sneered at me about what he assumed was a bridge camera, the twerp would have ended up waddling away with a tripod inserted where the Slik Corporation had never intended it to be used.

I've generally found that the best way to terminate an impromptu lecture from a Canikon is to pull out my beloved old Weston Master IV light meter, take a casual incident reading, and adjust the aperture ring on whichever of my Takumars I happen to be using.

11-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #2555
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
.... if one more Canikon had marched up and sneered at me about what he assumed was a bridge camera, the twerp would have ended up waddling away with a tripod inserted where the Slik Corporation had never intended it to be used..

11-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #2556
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I arrived at the Worldwide Photo walk this year carrying my K20 I noticed one person in the room with a red camera, and several others huddled around looking at it. I thought 'Aha! another Pentaxian!', but when I got closer I noticed that it was a Nikon D5200 and everyone was making such a fuss at how Nikon was cutting edge offering the camera in THREE different colors. I mentioned that Pentax has offered colors for certain models for several years and that they were available in over 100 colors. I got a lot of blank stares and one "Pentax still makes cameras?". I said yes for serious photographers and got no response.

Needless to say I was the only non-Canikon in the room, oh well.
11-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #2557
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rare indeed

A week ago I was at a convention, where I was one of the staff. There was another staff member who was the official photographer and videographer who used his K7 for stills (he also sometimes uses a K10). I took several photographs also with my K100DS. As I was on duty, I saw a convention attendee walk by with a Pentax DSLR, so I ran up to him with my K100DS and saw that he had a K2000. We had a nice 15-minute conversation about cameras and lenses, and he expressed how much he likes his Pentax. A lady came up and said she wants to buy a better camera (she was using some kind of point-and-shoot or cell phone, I'm not sure which), and asked what was the best brand. We both told her to fully research the market to see what might fulfill her needs, but DEFINITELY look at Pentax as well as Canon & Nikon & Sony & Olympus, etc. We told her that our opinion is that Pentax provides the best features per price. She was thankful that we advised her in that way.

There were about 4500+ attendees, and other than the official photographer, I only saw that one other fellow with a Pentax, but MANY others with other brands, mostly Canons.

-Joe-

11-22-2013, 08:39 PM - 2 Likes   #2558
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A buddy at work asked me advice on buying a camera, mostly what's the best bang for the buck he could get. Here he is below with his new K-50 in "Storm Trooper" white, he got in on one of the recent Adorama deals. By the way the hoods haven't arrived yet so that why he looks uneducated. (Why are they still selling them that way?). Here's a rarity, yesterday I ordered a Tamron 70-200 2.8 lens for my K30 from a store that doesn't sell Pentax. Why? On their website they actually list Tamron and Sigma lenses in Pentax mount; "call or email for availability". And in September they host a decent sized three day photography expo. They have online entries for their photo contest (which was sponsored by Canon printers) in the month leading up to it, their staff picked 10 finalists, they printed them, displayed the large prints at the expo, and then had attendees vote at the expo, and my photo won. The winning prize of a gift card will buy a third of that lens, maybe it gets them thinking about Pentax a little.

11-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #2559
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ramsey, Good work on spreading the Pentax love!

My daughter (has a K200D) just bought a red K-50 in the Adorama deal, and is loving it! The K200D is now her backup body.

-Joe-

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
A buddy at work asked me advice on buying a camera, mostly what's the best bang for the buck he could get. Here he is below with his new K-50 in "Storm Trooper" white, he got in on one of the recent Adorama deals. ...
11-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #2560
Veteran Member

Been on a Shanghai City Sightseeing Tour bus recently, and then a guy sat next to me... carrying a K-r Stormtrooper edition. Don't know if he noticed my Pentax, we didn't talk (he speaking Chinese, and I... not speaking Chinese), but I thought it was a big coincidence. Very few Pentaxes in China it seems. Oh, and Jackie Chan makes ads for Canon.

I wish people would come to me and ask me why I didn't buy Canikon, but sadly they don't. I'd loooove to talk their camera into the ground and leave them destroyed.
11-24-2013, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #2561
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
... I'd loooove to talk their camera into the ground and leave them destroyed.
How to win friends and influence people.
11-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #2562
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

way to go tom!!!! awesome!!!
11-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #2563
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In my recent trip to Cambodia and Thailand I probably ran across 10 Pentax shooters - honestly I was completely shocked. but it's great to see more Pentax DSLR's out in the wild.
11-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #2564
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see at least one Pentax shooter everyday (in bed with me)

As the shopper in our family, I did the research last year when we decided to give each other ILCs for Christmas. I chose a K-30 for Mr frogoutofwater (partly because of the WR, because he's a mountain climber, but also because of the excellent reviews) and a Sony NEX for myself (because I wanted a small camera). I still love and use my NEX, but when I decided to add a DSLR to my camera bag, I stuck with Pentax and am now the happy owner of a K-3.
11-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #2565
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
I see at least one Pentax shooter everyday (in bed with me)

As the shopper in our family, I did the research last year when we decided to give each other ILCs for Christmas. I chose a K-30 for Mr frogoutofwater (partly because of the WR, because he's a mountain climber, but also because of the excellent reviews) and a Sony NEX for myself (because I wanted a small camera). I still love and use my NEX, but when I decided to add a DSLR to my camera bag, I stuck with Pentax and am now the happy owner of a K-3.
HA!! "Mr. Frogoutofwater"... way too funny. Does he know who he is? Now I have this image of a guy walking around New York making croaking noises....

I'm also happy with my new K3...... WAY happy!