Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2013, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #2566
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
HA!! "Mr. Frogoutofwater"... way too funny. Does he know who he is? Now I have this image of a guy walking around New York making croaking noises....

I'm also happy with my new K3...... WAY happy!
He gets called Mr [my last name] a lot because I make most of the travel and restaurant reservations, but I don't think he knows that I call him Mr Frogoutofwater in fora like this. He picked up the domain names frogoutofwater.ca and frogoutofwater.com for me recently, so maybe I'll give him an email address of his own on in my domain, Mrfrogoutofwater@frogoutofwater.ca.

I just noticed that my screen name is rather appropriate for a photographer with a WR system. Clearly, I was destined for Pentax.

12-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #2567
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A friend's photo of a dismantled 645D in the recent Pentax K-3 launch in the Philippines:

marketing here seems active. I wasn't able to go to the event, but my friend who took this photo said during the exhibition (which featured other cameras, because it wasn't a Pentax exclusive), the Pentax demo line was the longest.

Things are picking up very well in the production home base
12-05-2013, 05:03 AM   #2568
Site Supporter

A point that stands out for me. I asked Scott Bourne not long back, jokingly, about some Pentax reviews. His reply, they don't give us cameras for nothing so we don't review. Says it all, if we don't get a freebie then we either don't even mention them or dis them.

I saw a photo of the Canon store room for the London Olympics, all free for the official photographers, row upon row of Canon lenses. We wonder why we are a bit rare.
12-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #2569
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
A point that stands out for me. I asked Scott Bourne not long back, jokingly, about some Pentax reviews. His reply, they don't give us cameras for nothing so we don't review. Says it all, if we don't get a freebie then we either don't even mention them or dis them.

I saw a photo of the Canon store room for the London Olympics, all free for the official photographers, row upon row of Canon lenses. We wonder why we are a bit rare.
Well, you can't really expect reviewers to buy all the gear, especially when you're not a big player. If Canon says no, we won't give you the new 5D, then a reviewer may have to find a way to get it, cause it's such a big deal. But Pentax? Who cares...

12-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #2570
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This shows up the difference between two reveiw philosophies.

1. Reviews of products supplied by producers. These are likely to be somewhat favourable and to focus on issues such as what features and how well the features work.

2. Reviews where the products are bought anonymously from retail shops and even the standard of after sales service is included in the review.

In Australia there was a magazine from the consumers' association, Choice, which did the latter. Their reviews were always fun to read because they looks at things like how securely the cord was fixed into an appliance, or if they looked at cameras - what happens when dropped from a table to the floor - because those are misfortunes that real buyers' products experience during life. As a potential buyer that kind of information is very useful. A bit like the rigorous T&E that is written into defence acquisition contracts. For example: which review magazine has done a comparison of the WR effectiveness of the three big camera brands by taking them outside under the sprinkler? Then we woudl know how much advantage the Pentax advertising feature of WR gives over the other two that do not advertise such a feature.
12-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #2571
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
This shows up the difference between two reveiw philosophies.

1. Reviews of products supplied by producers. These are likely to be somewhat favourable and to focus on issues such as what features and how well the features work.

2. Reviews where the products are bought anonymously from retail shops and even the standard of after sales service is included in the review.

In Australia there was a magazine from the consumers' association, Choice, which did the latter. Their reviews were always fun to read because they looks at things like how securely the cord was fixed into an appliance, or if they looked at cameras - what happens when dropped from a table to the floor - because those are misfortunes that real buyers' products experience during life. As a potential buyer that kind of information is very useful. A bit like the rigorous T&E that is written into defence acquisition contracts. For example: which review magazine has done a comparison of the WR effectiveness of the three big camera brands by taking them outside under the sprinkler? Then we woudl know how much advantage the Pentax advertising feature of WR gives over the other two that do not advertise such a feature.
Yeah, but... in the US there's Consumer Report for that, IIRC. And they had reviews where they tested for example car head units, and gave different models very different results. Except that the models were only different in name and perhaps design... internally they were absolutely identical.

Unless you have a big budget you can't buy cameras for review. Now of course the problem is indeed that to keep getting cameras for review you may have to write favorable reviews.
12-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #2572
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
in the US there's Consumer Report for that, IIRC.

ROFL

CU is great (I am a long-time member), but their camera reviews suck. They basically tally the features into a score and add/substract points based on the "snapshot mode" in-camera JPEGs delivered using default processing.

That being said, they often give high ratings to Pentax cameras, but because of Pentax's lower rate of product roll-out, those high ratings are usually eclipsed within a few months by new product from Canon and Nikon.

Steve
12-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #2573
Site Supporter

I was walking through Sydney yesterday and saw a tourist with a Pentax DSLR.

I exclaimed "My God, someone shooting Pentax!"

He was rather taken aback - I could see his physical reaction.

I had to assure him that I wasn't disapproving and that I also shot Pentax. He probably didn't believe I had a real Pentax - I was carrying my Q.

12-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #2574
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
In Australia there was a magazine from the consumers' association, Choice,
I haven't bothered with Choice for years (They dissed my Konica Autoreflex T - comparing it with non-auto cameras and not even mentioning the auto features!! - about the same time they compared dishwashers and had two at opposite ends of the scale even though both came from the same factory and were just differently name-plated).
I always thought their reviewers were generalists and not experts in given areas.
Perhaps they have improved.
12-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #2575
Site Supporter

Only saw one other person shooting a Pentax while wandering around NYC over the recent holiday weekend - knew it right away by the white body - it was a K-50.
12-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #2576
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I haven't bothered with Choice for years (They dissed my Konica Autoreflex T - comparing it with non-auto cameras and not even mentioning the auto features!! - about the same time they compared dishwashers and had two at opposite ends of the scale even though both came from the same factory and were just differently name-plated).
I always thought their reviewers were generalists and not experts in given areas.
Perhaps they have improved.
I gave up on them years ago, too, for much the same reason.
12-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #2577
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I gave up on them years ago, too, for much the same reason.
You will all note that I said that it was a fun read.

The other point about it is that reviews are useful when they are written by peopole without conflict of interest, as comes if their business model relies on getting a continuing flow of items from suppliers.
12-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #2578
Site Supporter

I am a member of a very large and popular forum (not photography related)... but they have a "Photography and Photoshop" section.
I did a search in the forum, out of hundreds of posts and dozens of pages... no mention of Pentax at all...
12-09-2013, 02:57 PM - 2 Likes   #2579
Pentaxian

Well, you know what to do, don't you?
12-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #2580
Veteran Member

We are rare........

Then fixing the Right to Bear Arms....................Boo yah