Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2013, 01:40 AM   #2581
Senior Member
bluefoam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 106
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
We are rare........

Then fixing the Right to Bear Arms....................Boo yah
Can you repeat that in English please.

12-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #2582
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DMV
Photos: Albums
Posts: 431
QuoteOriginally posted by bluefoam Quote
Can you repeat that in English please.
I second that
12-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #2583
Site Supporter
grhazelton's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro, GA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,816
At a local mall Sunday the young man at the frozen yogurt stand commented "Nice camera." Turned out he was majoring in photography at a local college, and shot Sony. What a lonely guy! He knew of Pentax and its glorious history.

Leaving the mall a guy handing out soap samples called out and wanted to look at the lens. It was a WR kit lens, perhaps the lens shade startled him. He mentioned that he shot some Nikon, I didn't catch the model. Being a polite sort I said, "Good camera." He replied, "Not as good as yours!" Probably should have bought some soap.....
12-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #2584
Veteran Member
Pepe Le Pew's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 589
QuoteOriginally posted by photoleet Quote
I second that

Should say.........

Canada fixing the right to bear arms

12-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #2585
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Scott Depot, WV
Posts: 1,240
I started in digital ILCs with a Sony Nex-5R. It is a great camera, and an important component of my system. I particularly love being able to use old legacy lenses on it. However, I found the lack of a viewfinder to be a hindrance at times, so I began researching. I knew about Pentax, and once had a Pentax Optio P&S. The more I read, the more I kept coming back to the K-30 as the best dollar value for the features I wanted. So I now have a crystal blue one in my arsenal . . . complete with several old Pentax lenses. I love the old stuff still.

Tony
12-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #2586
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,614
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
At a local mall Sunday the young man at the frozen yogurt stand commented "Nice camera." Turned out he was majoring in photography at a local college, and shot Sony. What a lonely guy! He knew of Pentax and its glorious history.

Leaving the mall a guy handing out soap samples called out and wanted to look at the lens. It was a WR kit lens, perhaps the lens shade startled him. He mentioned that he shot some Nikon, I didn't catch the model. Being a polite sort I said, "Good camera." He replied, "Not as good as yours!" Probably should have bought some soap.....
Lonely guy? Where I am Sony is everywhere. Easily number 3 after Canon and Nikon... and perhaps they may overtake Canon in a year or two.
01-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #2587
Loyal Site Supporter
OrchidJulie's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magic City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,286
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Lonely guy? Where I am Sony is everywhere. Easily number 3 after Canon and Nikon... and perhaps they may overtake Canon in a year or two.
The local "pro" camera store here -- which has never sold Pentax -- does sell Sony as well as Nikon and Canon.

Years ago, if I went in there and mentioned Pentax, the temperature in the room would drop about 20 degrees. Some of their staff were openly hostile and/or dismissive. But I have to say that in the last year or two that attitude has shifted a bit... a couple of their sales staff have even admitted to using Pentax in the past. However, they still don't sell any Pentax products.
01-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #2588
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,614
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
The local "pro" camera store here -- which has never sold Pentax -- does sell Sony as well as Nikon and Canon.

Years ago, if I went in there and mentioned Pentax, the temperature in the room would drop about 20 degrees. Some of their staff were openly hostile and/or dismissive. But I have to say that in the last year or two that attitude has shifted a bit... a couple of their sales staff have even admitted to using Pentax in the past. However, they still don't sell any Pentax products.
Hm. There are 2 camera stores (both belonging together) here that sell Pentax. They are also the best stocked store and have pretty much everything the photographer/videographer might need. Including a 645D. They also know what they talk about, I'd say half the staff shoots Pentax (though they sell other brands too). Most other shops are nowhere near as good. But I do occasionally come across shop employees who go like "oooooh, isn't that a Pentax? Nice!". That particular girl started a sales pitch of sorts to her clueless colleague Should have asked for her phone number (The shop doesn't sell Pentax DSLRs, only point & shoot ones). And I've met a sales guy in a Fujifilm "store" (they only show and explain the cameras, they don't sell...) who said that Pentax is quite recognized amongst pro photographers... one was about to go on a trip with a Fuji and a Pentax. I think here in SE Asia there is respect for Pentax. It's just not very common. But I've never heard someone talk bad about Pentax when I was around.

01-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #2589
Loyal Site Supporter
OrchidJulie's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magic City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,286
Oh, I never heard them "talk bad", but the attitude was often "don't bother us" or "why would WE have anything of that brand here?" or "Are you serious?" if I happened to ask about some item or other that might be compatible (I learned early on that there was no Pentax-branded stuff in the store). At the time, there were actually two or three camera stores reasonably nearby that did stock and sell Pentax, so it wasn't a big deal, all things considered. But today, they are pretty much the only game in town (within reasonable travel distance, anyway). Fortunately they are less dismissive of my gear, but they still don't carry any Pentax-branded stuff.
01-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #2590
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,614
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Oh, I never heard them "talk bad", but the attitude was often "don't bother us" or "why would WE have anything of that brand here?" or "Are you serious?" if I happened to ask about some item or other that might be compatible (I learned early on that there was no Pentax-branded stuff in the store). At the time, there were actually two or three camera stores reasonably nearby that did stock and sell Pentax, so it wasn't a big deal, all things considered. But today, they are pretty much the only game in town (within reasonable travel distance, anyway). Fortunately they are less dismissive of my gear, but they still don't carry any Pentax-branded stuff.
Ah, ok.

Taken in Beijing, November 2013.
Attached Images
 
01-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #2591
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,049
N.B. this post in the signs thread.


QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
A sign of life....
A small town in Holland
01-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #2592
New Member
hastingd's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 17
I feel like an outcast.

My family and I had a long-awaited holiday planned involving 7 days in Ho Chi Minh City & 4 in Kuala Lumpur. I was excited about the chance to find some retailers who would carry a variety on lenses to try, and possible buy, especially in KL.

I took my trusty K-5 and DA* 16-50. Also took my Sigma 70-200 2.8 but didn't expect to use it a lot due to its weight.

Can't count the number of retailers I visited in an attempt find some Pentax gear to try. Found nothing, except a used 50-135 in HCMC, which despite being tempted, was not brave enough to consider seriously. This is one of the lenses in my current wish list.

All retailers had the predictable Canikon selections, and most had a selection from either Fujifilm, Panasonic & Sony. Nothing from Pentax. Nothing. Even from some of the larger retailers in KL. This has strengthened my consideration to switch to another brand. It is bad enough that I am unable to try gear out before I buy in Adelaide. I was surprised that I found myself in the same position in KL & HCMC.

I tested a 70D, and was close to pulling the trigger, until I heard the shutter - hardly a discrete sound. Also looked at D7100 but I love the way the Pentax sits in my hands.

The K-5 and 16-50 performed perfectly, as expected. Interestingly when we were in the hotel elevator on our way to check out, a fellow joined us carrying a K-5 with kit 18-55. I don't know which of us was more surprised that we had actually seen someone else with a Pentax. We are not completely alone, but damn close to it....

Cheers,
Darren.
01-06-2014, 12:14 AM   #2593
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,614
QuoteOriginally posted by hastingd Quote
I feel like an outcast.

My family and I had a long-awaited holiday planned involving 7 days in Ho Chi Minh City & 4 in Kuala Lumpur. I was excited about the chance to find some retailers who would carry a variety on lenses to try, and possible buy, especially in KL.

I took my trusty K-5 and DA* 16-50. Also took my Sigma 70-200 2.8 but didn't expect to use it a lot due to its weight.

Can't count the number of retailers I visited in an attempt find some Pentax gear to try. Found nothing, except a used 50-135 in HCMC, which despite being tempted, was not brave enough to consider seriously. This is one of the lenses in my current wish list.

All retailers had the predictable Canikon selections, and most had a selection from either Fujifilm, Panasonic & Sony. Nothing from Pentax. Nothing. Even from some of the larger retailers in KL. This has strengthened my consideration to switch to another brand. It is bad enough that I am unable to try gear out before I buy in Adelaide. I was surprised that I found myself in the same position in KL & HCMC.

I tested a 70D, and was close to pulling the trigger, until I heard the shutter - hardly a discrete sound. Also looked at D7100 but I love the way the Pentax sits in my hands.

The K-5 and 16-50 performed perfectly, as expected. Interestingly when we were in the hotel elevator on our way to check out, a fellow joined us carrying a K-5 with kit 18-55. I don't know which of us was more surprised that we had actually seen someone else with a Pentax. We are not completely alone, but damn close to it....

Cheers,
Darren.
There are 2 shops that have Pentax gear in Johor Bahru (down South), and there are AFAIK also ones in KL. But you would have had to research where they are first. The Pentax distributor in Malaysia is doing a fairly decent job at promoting the brand, offering free workshops to Pentaxians and Ricohnians, having special deals etc. (you could have picked up the DA 50mm 1.8 for RM 499 (little over 100 Euro)).

Pentax Malaysia just posted this (list of dealers in and around KL):
1. DSLR (Koolstuff) - Subang Parade (DSLR / Lenses)
2. Foto Flash - KLCC (DSLR /Lenses)
3. Foto Flash (ICT) - Low Yat (DSLR / Lenses)
4. DC Pro - Amcorp Mall (DSLR)
5. YL Camera - Jaya 33 (DSLR / Lenses)

So both the most popular tech mall in KL as well as the big shopping mall underneath the Twin Towers do have shops that have Pentax gear. In JB it is btw. CLS in Sutera Mall and (their main shop) in KSL.

Last edited by kadajawi; 01-06-2014 at 02:24 AM.
01-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #2594
New Member
hastingd's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 17
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
There are 2 shops that have Pentax gear in Johor Bahru (down South), and there are AFAIK also ones in KL. But you would have had to research where they are first. The Pentax distributor in Malaysia is doing a fairly decent job at promoting the brand, offering free workshops to Pentaxians and Ricohnians, having special deals etc. (you could have picked up the DA 50mm 1.8 for RM 499 (little over 100 Euro)).

Pentax Malaysia just posted this (list of dealers in and around KL):
1. DSLR (Koolstuff) - Subang Parade (DSLR / Lenses)
2. Foto Flash - KLCC (DSLR /Lenses)
3. Foto Flash (ICT) - Low Yat (DSLR / Lenses)
4. DC Pro - Amcorp Mall (DSLR)
5. YL Camera - Jaya 33 (DSLR / Lenses)

So both the most popular tech mall in KL as well as the big shopping mall underneath the Twin Towers do have shops that have Pentax gear. In JB it is btw. CLS in Sutera Mall and (their main shop) in KSL.
Thanks for the response.

I went into every retailer I could find in KLCC, Low Yat, Pavillion and Berjaya Times Square. Didn't get out of KL itself so can't speak for other stores. None of the places I went into had Pentax gear on display (that I could find), except for some that had a couple of cameras on show. I expect that if I had asked to order lenses they would have got them in specifically for me. Didn't have a lot of time to research before going but was just surprised at the lack of obvious promotion in the sites I did visit.

Cheers.
01-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #2595
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Far North Qld, Australia
Posts: 179
Pentax used to be well known and highly regarded in the photography world. Then Hoya took over and drove it into the ground. Im watching the APIA tennis tournament in Sydney right now on TV and its great to see Ricoh advertising on the court. Spend money on marketing and distribution so that the Pentax brand doesnt seem like such a risk to the uneducated everyday Joe and more people will start using them.

Its very rare to actually see a Pentax camera in a brick and mortar store these days, at least where i live in Australia. Its good to see Ricoh taking the brand in a positive direction.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
brand, camera, canon, cell, choice, companies, domination, dslr, eastman, favor, fear, lens, nikon, pentax, people, phone, photography, pm, post, result, scroll, steve, time, tools, water, wheel, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K 28mm/2 (rare ?, value ?) mactansblue Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 28 08-28-2010 09:57 AM
Landscape Rare Precipitation skid2964 Post Your Photos! 8 12-19-2009 08:50 PM
How rare is this lens? raymeedc Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 11-20-2009 02:31 PM
The rare F50mm f/1.4 coqui Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 05-14-2008 06:09 AM
A rare find indeed... !! Marc Langille Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 19 10-31-2007 01:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top