Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #2596
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you watch old film footage of F1 races at Monaco in the 70's and early 80's, There is normally a large Pentax sign in the area around the swimming pool corner of the track.

If Pentax would do this again and also supply lenses to photographers at the track, I think that would change the way a lot of people look at Pentax.

01-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #2597
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
If you watch old film footage of F1 races at Monaco in the 70's and early 80's, There is normally a large Pentax sign in the area around the swimming pool corner of the track.

If Pentax would do this again and also supply lenses to photographers at the track, I think that would change the way a lot of people look at Pentax.
Pentax isn't exactly the camera of choice for sports photographers though, and to be honest when I watch F1 I never notice what cameras whoever is working there is using. I suppose product placement in movies, TV shows etc. would make more sense. Say if there is a character who likes to take photos he/she may use an appropriately colored Pentax. Or if there are pros, they may use the K-3 or 645D.
01-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #2598
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Pentax isn't exactly the camera of choice for sports photographers though, and to be honest when I watch F1 I never notice what cameras whoever is working there is using. I suppose product placement in movies, TV shows etc. would make more sense. Say if there is a character who likes to take photos he/she may use an appropriately colored Pentax. Or if there are pros, they may use the K-3 or 645D.

Normally most sport photographers use Canon, but part of that is due to the fact that Canon supplies the lenses for the photographers. I don't remember where I saw this, but I saw a photograph of the Canon room I believe at an American football game and it was full of all the big glass (400 mm - 1200 mm) that the photographers that were assigned to that game could use for free.

I agree that Pentax isn't the camera of choice now when it comes to racing photography. I have had trouble myself photographing Indy cars at 200 mph at IMS with my K7. Actually my 1stDL seems to do better at the race track then my K7.

Most photographers at racing tracks are independent photographers and use there own equipment or go and rent the big lenses. I also know that the Indianapolis motor speedway does hire a lot of photographers but I don't think they give them the cameras and lenses, I think they still have to use there own stuff.

Hopefully the K3 is the game changer in the world of sports photography.

edit: here is the link http://www.popphoto.com/2012/08/check-out-insane-canon-gear-room-london-2012 also it was the Olympics in London not a football game.

Last edited by bigdavephoto; 01-08-2014 at 10:31 AM. Reason: found the photos of the canon room.
01-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #2599

I might be misunderstanding something here, but I think all of that canon gear is there just in case one of the pro photographers in CPS has a lens or body that they bought go bad. I don't think they get to use them for free.

01-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #2600
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Members only: Canon Professional Services - Equipment Loans
I can't comprehend the dollar value of that room.
01-09-2014, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #2601

Well, I have just been revived from fainting in our local newsagent. I picked up the January edition of 'What Digital Camera' here in the UK. I noticed there was a comparison of DSLRs that included the K3. But when I opened the magazine a 24 page insert fell out covering the complete Pentax DSLR product range! Amazing. Could it be that Ricoh muscle is at last being used to push Pentax?
01-09-2014, 04:17 AM   #2602
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Briggs Quote
Well, I have just been revived from fainting in our local newsagent. I picked up the January edition of 'What Digital Camera' here in the UK. I noticed there was a comparison of DSLRs that included the K3. But when I opened the magazine a 24 page insert fell out covering the complete Pentax DSLR product range! Amazing. Could it be that Ricoh muscle is at last being used to push Pentax?

It was also included with a recent copy of Amateur Photographer magazine (which I think is owned by the same publishing company). Ricoh/Pentax have been doing a lot of promotions with in conjunction with AP recently.

01-09-2014, 04:22 AM   #2603

Photos: Albums
I have just bought (and sent back due to a fault!!) my first pentax. I'm now after my second (and hopefully working!) one

From what I have observed over the years, it's not the camera, it's the person behind it. I have lost count of how many people I have seen walking around with massive Nikons and Cannons at tourist sites, just pointing and clicking, then walking on. Makes me laugh. I've taken perfectly good photos using my old Fuji s5500 bridge camera that puts these people to shame. Still, would love to have a nice expensive camera (k3!!) but I'm not at that end of the market.

Anyone walking up to me and "talking cameras" makes me cringe. Luckily, with an old bridge camera, people who have bought the latest and greatest tend to ignore me. Gives me more time to take better photos than these people walking around with their latest toys slung over their necks with branded camera straps (argh!!)

I'm happy that these people don't buy pentax and inflate the prices to match their snobbery!
01-09-2014, 05:43 AM   #2604

Way to go Ricoh! Its great to see them actually investing in the brand.
01-09-2014, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #2605
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I've read the "pros dissing Pentax" thread and had a bit of a laugh. I shot high-end Canon for 30 years in my film days but am at a more laidback place now during semi-retirement. For the switch to DSLR, I couldn't justify the expense - particularly for good glass - that Canon entailed and went with Pentax. I am very happy with that choice despite the occasional sneer from my former Canon compatriots.

Now, my topic. During the recent Worldwide Photo Walk, I joined 40+ area photographers for a fun day of shooting followed by a group lunch and wrap-up. In that group, I saw exactly zero Pentax DSLRs - aside from my own. I found myself "justifying" my choice not to go with Canikon during good natured discussions. Not so much distain but more "why in the world would a serious photographer NOT buy Canikon??"

Are we really that sparse out in the world?
I've always chosen products that are different and not mainstream. I used a Macintosh for years and now I use Ubuntu Linux. I like having something that everyone else doesn't have. It's like having a unique car that people ask about. When someone asks why I use Ubuntu, I tell them that I've used their operating system for years and see it as an opportunity to explain why I feel Ubuntu is better. When someone asks you why you use Pentax, take it as an opportunity to tell them you used Canon for 30 years and explain why you like Pentax better - shake reduction built into the body, Pentax has used the same lenses since 1975 and you can pick up superior older glass for much less money, etc....
01-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #2606
Veteran Member

Interesting. I also use Ubuntu on both my desktop and laptop. It loads so much faster than any WinXX version I've ever used. There are a few Win programs that don't have Linux analogs, but for the most part, I get along just fine. I use RawTherapee and Fotoxx for all my photo work . . . works like a charm.

Tony
01-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #2607
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Interesting. I also use Ubuntu on both my desktop and laptop. It loads so much faster than any WinXX version I've ever used. There are a few Win programs that don't have Linux analogs, but for the most part, I get along just fine. I use RawTherapee and Fotoxx for all my photo work . . . works like a charm.

Tony
We both live in WV, use Pentax, & use Ubuntu. What are the chances of this happening - like getting struck by lightning ! LOL
01-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #2608
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
We both live in WV, use Pentax, & use Ubuntu. What are the chances of this happening - like getting struck by lightning ! LOL
We WV boys have to stick together.
01-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #2609
Pentaxian

We WV boys have to stick together.
Yep, in a thread about how rare Pentax is, we took rare a step further.
01-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #2610
Veteran Member

There are a few Win programs that don't have Linux analogs, but for the most part, I get along just fine.
Tony
The programs that don't have a Linux alternative can be run easily using Wine. Win-Win (no pun intended ).