Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #2656
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
From experience, I will say that the superzooms probably did a lot better than the 70-200 $1500 lenses on the C&N
QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
I recommended a Nikon superzoom for my sister. It has a crazy range of equivalent 28-1000mm! Not the best at lowlight, but would be great for long bird shots in daylight.
I should have taken the Q and Converter with the 55~300.

01-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #2657
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
Way to go Ricoh! Its great to see them actually investing in the brand.
My first SLR was a Ricoh KR5, which I bought in 1980 because it was the closest I could get to having a real but more expensive Pentax. I started buying used Pentax lenses from then on. I still have and use them with my digital cameras. Surely, Ricoh has had an affinity with Pentax for a long, long time.
01-20-2014, 09:01 PM - 2 Likes   #2658
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another week, another shoot, another Pentaxian

Yep, two weeks in a row, I turn up to a shoot (no nudes this time fella's) and find another Pentax shooter with a K-3. I think there were 9 plus the lead guy shooting (too many people in too small a space, but that's another story) I didn't get to do an audit of cameras this time, but there was at least one OMD-4, and one other Olympus mirrorless I think. (I just don't get people holding camera's at arms length to see a LCD screen and expecting good pix... but I digress) with the balance made up of the usual assortment of N and C.

I'm often amazed at people who have equipped themselves with something like a Canon 5d MkIII and a 70-200 L series lens and then ask ME how to set their camera up for a shot. I mean, for that sort of money a genie pops out of a port somewhere and does it for you, doesn't he? Happened twice on Sunday, both females, neither were spring chickens. One of the Olympus guy's couldn't get the dinky thumb rest/support thingy out of the hot shoe socket, because he didn't have an allen key with him. (Really?, you turn up to a shoot with studio flash and you don't prepare the camera first???) So he wasted 20 minutes of my time while I tried to help him. The ignorance, rudeness and general selfishness of some people at photo-shoots is starting to grate on me, but that is something for another thread.

The other K-3 owner I have known for a little while, He had a K20d when I first met him. He is a nice gentle little guy married to one of the aforesaid Canonistas, (who - quote- 'Is only interested in taking award winning shots' - unquote) and really I feel sorry for him. Henpecked as he is, she was even directing him how to take a shot from the back of the room 'Make sure you don't cut her feet off' - 'Yes Dear'. But in the end it was great to be able to talk with another Pentaxian about just how seriously good the K-3 is.

Once again there was the advice about mixed lighting and how it may be better to shoot for B&W results. It makes me wonder just how poor the WB settings of these -ahem- 'better' brands are.
01-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #2659
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Crappy cellphone pic of one of the front windows of a local camera shop.

Wait— the GR gets the first position before even the K-3? Pentax is dooooomed!

Attached Images

Last edited by g026r; 01-25-2014 at 01:21 PM.
01-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #2660
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Wait— the GR gets the first position before even the K-3? Pentax is dooooomed!
Looks like they carry Pentax! How is their selection of used stuff?

- Craig
01-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #2661
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Looks like they carry Pentax! How is their selection of used stuff?
Used Pentax stuff tends to be slim pickings and overpriced. Though I find that they're far more likely to get specialized stuff (macro, shift, and mirror lenses, extension tubes) than the Henry's 'round the corner.
01-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #2662
Veteran Member

We are more rarer then McDonald's bringing back their pizza's.......Which were good by the way

Last edited by Pepe Le Pew; 01-27-2014 at 05:21 PM.
01-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #2663
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
We are more rarer then McDonald's bring back their pizza's.......Which were good by the way
What does the old man with his tractor who does not like Macca's think of Pentax?
01-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #2664
Pentaxian

Over at my parents' place for holiday the last fortnight there were three Pentaxians: me with my K-30; my sister with something I can't recall now; my father with a *istD, MZ-50, and K1000.
01-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #2665
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, its congenital then!

Regards,
01-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #2666
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Ah, its congenital then!

Regards,

Ha! Seems so
01-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #2667
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
What does the old man with his tractor who does not like Macca's think of Pentax?
Guess you never had Mcdonald's pizza before or to young.........
01-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #2668
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
Guess you never had Mcdonald's pizza before or to young.........
No, I did not know their pizza.

Talking about pizza, I took my Pentax to Rome and was walking about and saw some friends eating pizza at one of the restaurants. Took a picture of them and the waiter accused me of be a paparazi. Another night I was eating pizza just near the Vatican , when it was already dark, and got an interesting picture of a priest and someone else talking that I thought looked like the caption should be "plotting church politics".
01-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #2669
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K3 sighting today... where I work we often get groups of tourists, and in one of those today was a Canadian fellow with a K3. Of course I nearly pounced on it (he seemed surprised that anyone would recognize the camera), but we only had a few seconds to chat. A fellow Pentaxian, his previous camera was a K5! Said he liked the K3, was starting to get used to handling it with his existing lens collection.

I suggested he join in here at PF.

Other cameras in the group included some silly Canon Rebel thingy, a whole bunch of itty-bitty P&S and some cel phone cameras. The K3 was the only real camera in the bunch.
01-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #2670
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Again I started teaching my adult school class in photography. 15 students, one Pentax, MINE! All the rest were Canikons, one mirrorless advanced P&S, the rest DSLRs, all ASC-P.

And the search continues.....