Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #2701
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I do hope Pentax increases the number of their service centers worldwide. This will give them more leverage in customers' minds. Recently the Pentax plant here in the Philippines opened up its own repair shop but all repairs are filtered through the local distributor. No direct sending.

As for technology nobody near my neighborhood and work range (except Pentaxians) can shrug at its technology level, especially weathersealing. Being a tropical country with all the humidity, dust, sand, salty air, and all, Pentax WR cameras and lenses make a perfect niche here. 'cept that many still don't get that. I still can't forget the faces of my colleagues when they saw me showering with my camera, by the beach, checking photos under the spraying water, with sand everywhere on my body and on my cam. I should've taken a shot of them!
Haha, that would have made for a great Pentax ad. Use a beautiful model and do some sort of candid camera thing at the beach. Could go viral... and if it does, instant win for Pentax. I could even see the faces as a magazine ad. It just has to be clear from the photo that it was taken from under the shower. And maybe a Pentax covered in sand and water next to the brand name.

02-19-2014, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #2702
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Haha, that would have made for a great Pentax ad. Use a beautiful model and do some sort of candid camera thing at the beach. ...
Are you suggesting that Alizarine is not a "beautiful model?"
02-19-2014, 12:58 AM   #2703
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Are you suggesting that Alizarine is not a "beautiful model?"
I don't know her, so I can't comment on that I also don't know if she would want to be all over the internet
02-19-2014, 06:24 AM   #2704
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess the name is to blame haha this ain't the first time it was taken for a girl's pseudonym. :P sorry to break it but I'm a guy lol but yeah I would definitely try that "beautiful model with Pentax under a shower" approach at the next local photo convention where we can invite models!

02-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #2705

Photos: Albums
On Tuesday, I was on the Great Ridge in Derbyshire and saw three DSLRs in addition to my K3. A Nikon, a Canon and a K10. A Pentax win!
02-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #2706
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine was the only Pentax ... alas!

We went to the Atlanta Zoo Tuesday with the granddaughters. Wonderful weather, sunny and in the very low seventies. Saw no Pentaxes (Pentacies?), a few DSLRs with undeployed lens shades on humongous zooms. When will they ever learn? I got along with my walkabout kit: the 189 - 55 WR, 50 - 200 WR and the Sigma 10 - 20 f4. Wonderful lens,that! Did see two young women deploying a Cambo monorail 4 x 5, and some sort of lovely field camera, also 4 x 5. Big Manfrotto tripods. We chatted, they were students at the Savannah College of Arts and Design; They seemed to feel that the cost of chemicals would be a deterrent to film use. Would that film and paper were cheaper than D 76!! Our daughter, born in 1978, thought that the cameras were some sort of digital device! Imagine the cost of a 4 x 5 sensor!

We'd enjoyed lunch at Dakota Blue, a little neighborhood "joint", their own description, not far from the zoo. Good food, and a pleasantly funky vibe. The manager saw my Pentax and approved even though he was a Nikonian. A man of excellent taste! He'd worked at Wolf Camera before they circled the drain.
02-21-2014, 04:22 AM   #2707
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Spied a Pentax neck strap on a visitor to my workplace yesterday... tourist gentleman with a K7. I chatted with him for a few minutes, and he said he'd had Pentax cameras for decades. The K7 was his first/only digital, the others were film.

He's only the third or fourth Pentax user I've seen come in over a period of years. There might have been others -- I don't see every visitor who comes in -- but for sure the vast majority of cameras are other brands.

02-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #2708
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax History

Does anyone know if there has ever been published a definitive history of Asahi Pentax? There must have been a Pentax super enthusiast or company insider in Japan who has written the book on the rise and fall of the company. I'd love to learn the detailed history and prominent personalities of the company. Anybody know??
02-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #2709
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Does anyone know if there has ever been published a definitive history of Asahi Pentax?
I think someone has recently completed his collection of the annual Asahi Pentax booklet/magazine or something. Try browsing throughout the forums, but of course it only runs up to the late 90's or early 2000's I think.
02-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #2710

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Does anyone know if there has ever been published a definitive history of Asahi Pentax? There must have been a Pentax super enthusiast or company insider in Japan who has written the book on the rise and fall of the company. I'd love to learn the detailed history and prominent personalities of the company. Anybody know??
Here is a blog post on the book list of Pentax. Some of it is written in English. Most are a little bit old.

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/aoco_japan/archive/2011/08/03
02-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #2711
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I think someone has recently completed his collection of the annual Asahi Pentax booklet/magazine or something. Try browsing throughout the forums, but of course it only runs up to the late 90's or early 2000's I think.
Daikokuya
Here is a blog post on the book list of Pentax. Some of it is written in English. Most are a little bit old.

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/aoco_japan/archive/2011/08/03

Thanks to both Alizarine and Daikokuya for your leads on old Pentax books. There are two or three on that list that appear to be in English so I have a project now... Still... I know there are people in Japan who live and die Asahi/Pentax fans as well as the many people who worked there over half a century who know all about the company and interesting people who worked there. It would be interesting to know...
02-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #2712

I see a bunch of people with Pentax, but they are people I talked into getting them.....One was an old KM user (like film era) who wanted a camera for a trip, and was into a red K50 during Christmas. My girlfriend has a Kx she had for college.

In her photography class, only 2 of 20 had Pentax, there were like two more Nikons, and the rest Rebels. The instructor (a Canon snob) did not believe that the Pentax had HDR, did not believe it had wireless flash capabilities, did not believe you needed no software to connect it to a computer......
02-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #2713
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daedbird Quote
The instructor (a Canon snob) did not believe that the Pentax had HDR, did not believe it had wireless flash capabilities, did not believe you needed no software to connect it to a computer......
I got one word for that person.........
MORON!!
03-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #2714
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At least in my part of the world we are not so rare any more. My closest camera shop now has a FULL complement of Pentax cameras including a huge array of Q's in various colour combinations.
Yesterday I went to the RAAF airshow commemerating 100 years of military avation in Australia and the number of Pentax cameras there was staggering. As usual for Pentaxians if you see another
Pentax you strike up a conversation with the owner, I spoke to 15 other Pentax users and there were far more that I missed. Sony and Olympus were extremely rare it was almost like it was Pentacanikon!
Of the people I spoke to one had a K3 and a K5, six more had K5's, two more had K3's, two Kx's, two Kr's, one K7 and a istDs. I had my K3 and K5IIs which with the others adds up to quite a haul of Pentaxes.
Glenn
03-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #2715
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
As usual for Pentaxians if you see another
Pentax you strike up a conversation with the owner,

but I'm sure, true