Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #2761
Inactive Account

Spotted an Asian guy with a white Q (didn't see the exact model) and a white zoom lens today

04-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #2762
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Today went to London with family for my Birthday -- I took my 1975 Asahi Pentax KX loaded with Agfa Vista 200 I wanted to use up -- all around Westminster, South Bank, Trafalgar Square area, St Martin's Lane and on the trains I was the only Pentax user I saw -- everyone had Canons, Nikon and Sony -- no other FILM cameras either -- not ONE !
04-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #2763
Veteran Member

While I can't state this for everyone, but in my personal experience in the US, people are typically not going to buy what they don't see at a retail store (Best Buy / Walmart or any other box store / camera store).
Anyone purchasing Pentax gear for the most part in the US is limited to those that know about B&H / Adorama or will purchase a camera system by review only online.

Its sad to see SLRs being Canon/Nikon with mirrorless Sony/Samsung/Olympus and a whole bunch of P&S cameras from Fuji/Panasonic/GE/Polaroid/Kodak/Vivitar
04-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #2764
Inactive Account

I took a introduction to dslr class a few months ago and I was the only one of about 12 students to have a Pentax.

04-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #2765
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do not recall having posted this photo here, though I might have. I was going over older shots and stumbled upon it again. It made me realize I haven't seen any Pentax out in the open since June 2012

04-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #2766
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I do not recall having posted this photo here, though I might have. I was going over older shots and stumbled upon it again. It made me realize I haven't seen any Pentax out in the open since June 2012
Awesome
04-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #2767
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was she taking a photo, or just announcing that she had a Pentax?
"Look what I've got! It's an awesome camera"

04-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #2768
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Cool sighting there. Must be a Tamron 17-50... on a K-7/K-5 classic?
04-11-2014, 01:41 AM   #2769
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Cool sighting there. Must be a Tamron 17-50... on a K-7/K-5 classic?

Looks like it, but the Tamron has zoom restricted from 30-50mm since the reversed hood would hit her fingers and stop.

At least all those dangerous bubbles wont damage the front element of the lens since it well protected by that flare inducing UV filter.
04-11-2014, 02:32 AM   #2770
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
At least in my part of the world we are not so rare any more. My closest camera shop now has a FULL complement of Pentax cameras including a huge array of Q's in various colour combinations.
Yesterday I went to the RAAF airshow commemerating 100 years of military avation in Australia and the number of Pentax cameras there was staggering. As usual for Pentaxians if you see another
Pentax you strike up a conversation with the owner, I spoke to 15 other Pentax users and there were far more that I missed. Sony and Olympus were extremely rare it was almost like it was Pentacanikon!
Of the people I spoke to one had a K3 and a K5, six more had K5's, two more had K3's, two Kx's, two Kr's, one K7 and a istDs. I had my K3 and K5IIs which with the others adds up to quite a haul of Pentaxes.
Glenn
Crikey ! must be a lucky country
04-11-2014, 05:13 AM   #2771
Veteran Member

Yes a classic K-5 (or perhaps a K-7) with Tamron mounted on it. She was shooting
04-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #2772
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, we're in the local "pro photo" store today, Mr. Orchid wanting to purchase a ball head. While he's browsing around in the back of the store, I wandered over to the gadget wall. Lo! Boxes of aftermarket rear lens caps marked "Pentax K"! WTF? This store has NEVER carried anything Pentax, even aftermarket stuff unless it's super generic or universal. ???!!! A sign of things to come?

Over at the sales counter (paying for the ball head), I asked the friendly sales lady about the Pentax K rear lens caps. I asked her straight out, "Is this a sign of things to come?"

She looks startled. "Really? Pentax? Hm,,, good cameras, but we don't have them. Hm... let me find out, because we just started carrying Fuji stuff..."

She goes to the back office, where we can see her talking with one of the bosses. He's at a computer. They're talking, he's looking at stuff on the screen. Couple of minutes go by, they're talking, he's still looking at stuff...finally she comes back out to the counter. "No, sorry, no Pentax on the horizon... we can't get them. [italics mine] Sorry, there's always the internet..."

"Oh, I know, I buy from B&H. I'd rather buy locally..."

She gave me an understanding smile and shrug...

"Can't get them"??
04-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #2773
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Android/IOS
Democrat/Republican
Liberal/Tory
Ford/Chevy
Canon/Nikon
Coke/Pepsi
PC/Mac

People tend to favor the easy choice, even when the choices are virtually identical. I for one, don't favor any of the above binary solutions.

Steve

(...Ok, I do own an Android phone, but that is only because of expense and the Windows Phone sucks...)
Tsk tsk, Steve ... Windows Phone is that third alternative choice you advocate ...

And probably the first for camera ability. LOL.
04-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #2774

I've seen a good few Pentaxians from time to time in Scotland and on my travels abroad, but very few with anything much better than the kit lens stuck to it...
It seems as if their profile is gradually improving and the Ricoh takeover seems so far to be working out alright.

For what it's worth I shoot on some nice video cameras with work such as the Sony F55 and F800 and the Canon C300 with Zeiss CP2 and Superspeed glass.
I have no desire whatsoever to become a Canickon user. I wish the video capabilities of my K5 were a little better at times but that's not why I bought it.
By the end of this summer I should have a trio of 15, 20-40 and 70mm HD limiteds to stick on my K5 and that's me sorted.
That's my perfect small, lightweight, weather sealed and well built travel photography setup. There is no other brand that offers anything close!
04-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #2775
Pentaxian

You might need a plastic bag for the 15 and 70