Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #2806

Photos: Albums
Was at Niagara falls a couple of weeks ago and spotted possibly three white Pentaxes. Possibly the first two times it was the same camera being held by a different person (same general time and vicinity). But it was definitely Pentax since it had the matching white kit lens.

The other time the camera was too close and covered up and the person moving too fast, so I could only tell it was a white DSLR. Might have been a Samsung NX...

05-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #2807
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
Was at Niagara falls a couple of weeks ago and spotted possibly three white Pentaxes. Possibly the first two times it was the same camera being held by a different person (same general time and vicinity). But it was definitely Pentax since it had the matching white kit lens.

The other time the camera was too close and covered up and the person moving too fast, so I could only tell it was a white DSLR. Might have been a Samsung NX...
Surely it hasn't come to this, NotSteve - possible sightings a la Bigfoot!
05-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #2808

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote

White DSLRs? Wow. One would be no surprise, but more than one really is.
05-08-2014, 07:21 AM   #2809

Absolutely -- I've even got a blurry photo taken from a distance, to which a skeptic would say, "Well it could be ANY white camera."

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Surely it hasn't come to this, NotSteve - possible sightings a la Bigfoot!

05-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #2810
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I believe that is debatable. I worked with a lady a couple years ago who takes outstanding photos with her DSLR. She also has take numerous excellent photos (composition, color, exposure, clarity, focus, etc.) with her cell phone. In the hands of someone with expertise the outcome will be remarkable quality. However the camera can be the best in the world, but in the hands of a novice the photos will show the lack of experience due to poor technical settings, composition, focus and a myriad of other factors.

Just MHO.
I'm in your camp on this one !

To add to your post, I also have a couple of fine examples of people using different gear and obtaining very different results in this manner:

My two daugthers ...

Daugther one is using a "almost like new" (hardly used) Pentax K-r with the DA55-300 lens which I think is a great setup. Her pictures lack effective composition; most of her shots are "soft" -- she seems never to wait for the SR to settle before taking the shot -- and that she does with the camera set on "Green Mode".
Of course, I would love to teach her a few basic techniques but she is unfortunately 3000 Km away!

Daugther two is an artist who never touched a SLR - DSLR in her life .... she nonetheless takes absolutely good/great images with anything that has a lens on it ... a cheap cell phone, a simple low-end P&S or even with her iPad. The majority of her shots have superb composition and the results are most often amazing, considering the type of gear she uses.

This is a bit disconnected from the main subject of this thread .... sorry about that.

JP
05-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #2811

QuoteQuote:
"...most of her shots are "soft" -- she seems never to wait for the SR to settle before taking the shot
She doesn't have to. The SR is for all intents and purposes is instantaneous. The SR also doesn't activate until you are taking the shutter release from half press to full press. Her image softness is most likely due to the same issues my wife has.

A) Not using good camera handling techniques (elbows in, keeping the shutter half pressed, etc.)
B) Not holding still through the shot (is already dropping the camera down to chimp the image before the camera may be done taking the shot)
C) Putting too much faith in the "beep" of the AF and not enough in what she sees for herself as to what is in focus
D) Not being patient enough to make sure they are focused on what they really want to be in focus
E) Letting the lens shoot wide open too much instead of consciously stopping it down one stop or so from the widest aperture
05-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #2812
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
She doesn't have to. The SR is for all intents and purposes is instantaneous. The SR also doesn't activate until you are taking the shutter release from half press to full press. Her image softness is most likely due to the same issues my wife has.

A) Not using good camera handling techniques (elbows in, keeping the shutter half pressed, etc.)
B) Not holding still through the shot (is already dropping the camera down to chimp the image before the camera may be done taking the shot)
C) Putting too much faith in the "beep" of the AF and not enough in what she sees for herself as to what is in focus
D) Not being patient enough to make sure they are focused on what they really want to be in focus
E) Letting the lens shoot wide open too much instead of consciously stopping it down one stop or so from the widest aperture
Sure seems that way ... at least for the first four items.

JP
05-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #2813
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Panasonic GH4 Final Impressions –

As the saying goes: When you see it...

05-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #2814
Veteran Member

Looks like camerastoretv really likes Pentax
05-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #2815
Pentaxian

Nice 8)
05-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #2816
Pentaxian

I need to get myself up to Calgary.
05-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #2817
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
As the saying goes: When you see it...
Seems they put a K-5/II/IIs or K-3 on display with a ...DA560? whoa..
05-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #2818
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Yup. Looking at the grip, I'd say K-3.
05-12-2014, 03:51 AM   #2819
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I like how they are purposely promoting Pentax. When the shot gets tighter on the hosts, suddenly the camera is in frame with them.
05-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #2820
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
I like how they are purposely promoting Pentax. When the shot gets tighter on the hosts, suddenly the camera is in frame with them.

I think the little exchange in the beginning about the t-shirt, is there mostly as a nod to the actual product placement: the Pentax awesomeness.