Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2398 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #2821
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
they just can't resist Pentax nowadays huh? I hope that's the case

anyway I was browsing Facebook just now and this came up....

05-15-2014, 01:34 AM   #2822
Pentaxian

Last week in Astorga in the north of Spain I saw a guy with a Pentax DSLR. It was either a K7, K5 or K3, but I couldn't see which.
05-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #2823
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Might be off topic here....
Friend of mine just got himself K-50. Asked me why they changed the body design? k-30
05-16-2014, 02:04 AM   #2824
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
Might be off topic here....
Friend of mine just got himself K-50. Asked me why they changed the body design? k-30
Probably should be asked in the K-50 forum.

05-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #2825
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So you guys probably aren't going to believe this, but I came across not one, but two other pentax uses today on a walk, and all because I was carrying my tripod (camera was in my backpack, not even visible). They were friends, and were super excited to find someone else who used the P-system
05-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #2826
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had my 18-55m WR lens for sale, for some months now. I was contacted few days ago from a potential buyer. She came by yesterday to have a closer look and we small talked. She owned a K-5, which she purchased only the day before and before that she was used to shoot with (older) Canon. I couldn't help but to ask how come she went with the Pentax - after all, it's not a popular brand.

She was already familiar with Pentax through a friend of hers, and she felt Pentax cams have some certain appeal (features, quality etc.). She mostly shoots surfers.

And yes, she bought the lens
05-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #2827
Veteran Member

Travelling around London and Paris right now, saw 4-5 K-5s, a K3, a couple of white K-rs, and even a film ME in Hyde Park! He was shooting with a K50/1.2,cool guy.

05-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #2828
Forum Member

I went to the Photography Show at the NEC in the UK - and only saw one other gentleman with a Pentax camera. Ricoh/Pentax's stand was a tiny patch to the side of a retail shop - a very small showing compared to the vastness of the Canikon empires! It was a shame, but they were a friendly, engaging bunch - and the gentleman I met was a hardcore Pentax lover who was delighted that I complimented him on his K5!

(I should add, for balance, that I had a Canon 30D hanging round my neck...albeit with an SMC Pentax-M (or A? I forget) 50mm lens mounted on it!)

The major reason I went was to decide whether to save up vastly more and plump for the Canon 6D or 5Dmk3, or get the Pentax K3...I've not got enough saved for either decision, but right now I am very firmly in the Pentax camp. I think it might be time to say bye-bye Canikon.
05-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #2829

You can`t imagine how rare we are... I`m camera salesman in Innsbruck, Austria. Guess what, we`ve got nothing on stock. Sure we have some new bodies with kit optics, and some original pentax gadgets, but no lenses... I mean it! One or two WR Zoom lenses, but thats all.
And all because of one m**********r(sorry for my french) who manages the whole company in Europe. That guy does ZERO advertisement, and the service is as customerunfriendly, as it could be. Belive me, I tried already to order a split focus screen for my K-x... no chance.
I really like pentax, and it really has potential. there is not a single Camera that can match the quality especial in the hobby/semi professional price class. But if the situation doesnt change in the future, pentax will slowly die out in Europe.
05-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #2830
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vitalii Quote
You can`t imagine how rare we are... I`m camera salesman in Innsbruck, Austria. Guess what, we`ve got nothing on stock. Sure we have some new bodies with kit optics, and some original pentax gadgets, but no lenses... I mean it! One or two WR Zoom lenses, but thats all.
And all because of one m**********r(sorry for my french) who manages the whole company in Europe. That guy does ZERO advertisement, and the service is as customerunfriendly, as it could be. Belive me, I tried already to order a split focus screen for my K-x... no chance.
I really like pentax, and it really has potential. there is not a single Camera that can match the quality especial in the hobby/semi professional price class. But if the situation doesnt change in the future, pentax will slowly die out in Europe.
Vitalii's post needs to be seen by the higher-ups at Ricoh in Japan. !! Pentax always had a strong following in Europe going way back.

Bob
05-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #2831
Inactive Account

In Lithuania Pentax sells 1 lens for every 4 CaNikon. Pretty good I'd say. Even though, Pentax probably sells more kit/lower grade lenses than the competitors.
05-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #2832
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vitalii Quote
Sure we have some new bodies with kit optics, and some original pentax gadgets, but no lenses... I mean it! .
I queried the owner of a shop in Melbourne as to why he had some cameras but no additional lenses.

He had no axe to grind, still having affection for his days shooting film on Pentax.

But his perception, whether right or wrong, was that the occasional customers who do buy Pentax from him do so because of value.

He claimed such people wanted features but were price sensitive, not especially knowledgeable and were bemused by lenses of similar cost to or more expensive than the bodies.

He may have been right about the walk-ins for his own store - this was the outer burbs, not more sophisticated downtown, after all - but it shows how difficult challenging a duopoly and making a living can be.

Last edited by clackers; 05-19-2014 at 10:33 PM.
05-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #2833

I was in Nagoya int'l and finally ran into a Pentax shooter w/ a K-r and 18-55 AL II. Although I hadn't brought mine on the trip, I struck up a conversation with him and told him I had a K-30 at the time, to which he immediately told his buddies - oh that's the one that's completely waterproof, super high-end! I didn't want to correct him in front of his buddies, plus I'd hardly slept in 2 days, so just continued on with the conversation. At least he's helping Pentax's reputation for tough stuff!
05-21-2014, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #2834
Inactive Account

My little girl sees a Pentax user everyday!

My little girl sees a Pentax user everyday! Not the sharpest photo, but she's very happy.
Attached Images

05-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #2835

Lack of promotional efforts from Ricoh.

It is no surprise that Nikon is doing well with all this promotional gigs. See this. BTY, I am not trying to make anyone here to purchase any NIkon goods at all.

Have a great day.

Norberto