Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #271
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Im the rarest of the rare in pentax land.... a 16 year old with a pentax using 90% film glass!
You may be the only person in the US that fits that description. Well played!

09-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #272
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been shooting with my K-x for almost a year now. My office is on Wall St. I see dSLRs by the scores. I like to camera watch and see what people shoot with. Mostly Canikon, a alot of Leica. Actually a surprising amount. I usually see at least 1 peson most every day.

How many Pentax aside from me when I bring it out? 1. Saw him with it this past Friday. I think it was a K-7, but I'm not 100% sure. Had a prime on it. Looked like the FA 43.
09-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #273
Veteran Member

in Australia , canon/Nikon are available from every high street vendor, these include all the white goods box movers , that offer interest free deals for 4-5years....this im sure is the reason that canon / Nikon are much more popular than the Pentax...if you want Pentax...you have to visit a proper camera shop and pay real money there and then.

id say the box movers {from white goods stores} are shifting more cameras than the camera shops , people may visit a camera store to try them out..then go to JB HIFI and purchase..

25 years ago when the box movers didn't sell SLRS..the pentax was seen as much as a canon or Nikon ...in UK that is
09-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #274
Veteran Member

Honestly the only person I know in my area that uses Pentax is the person I gave my K10D to.

09-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #275
Forum Member

Yesterday I went to a second hand camera market in Box Hill (Melbourne - Aus) and there were plenty of interested parties in the second hand Pentax lenses and cameras. I even saw a chap bring out his K7 at one point. So I can't be sure of the actual number but there must be quite a few Pentax users around my area.
09-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #276
Veteran Member

almost a month ago, a chap in a resto had his k-x with me. too bad he was done before I barely started.

a week ago, a chap in a camera shop bought a new white k-x, so technically a Pentax user nonetheless.
09-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #277
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/109990-we-really-r...ml#post1176807

I've seen many pictures from Pentax cameras, but never that many Pentax cameras in a picture.

09-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #278
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/109990-we-really-r...ml#post1176807

I've seen many pictures from Pentax cameras, but never that many Pentax cameras in a picture.
That's not even our largest gathering...
Singapore Pentax users will be converging once again for a workshop at the end of the week... we got 40+ Pentax users signed up already... will post photos soon.
09-20-2010, 01:31 AM   #279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pixley Quote
Yesterday I went to a second hand camera market in Box Hill (Melbourne - Aus) and there were plenty of interested parties in the second hand Pentax lenses and cameras. I even saw a chap bring out his K7 at one point. So I can't be sure of the actual number but there must be quite a few Pentax users around my area.
Pixley, My K-7 was one of them! I saw another fellow with a K-7 and we had a quick exchange. It was nice to see another one in the wild.
09-20-2010, 02:27 AM   #280

There was a photomarathon here in Zagreb, Croatia and I was surprised how many pentaxians there are. A LOT

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the 1st prize was a new K-7 and Pentax Croatia was the main sponsor
09-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #281
Veteran Member

More hopeful news....

At a car show, I saw a kid carrying a Spottie. I asked him if it was his...it's his school's. He's in a photography class.

I also ran into a vietnam vet. He had a K200D. He got it for his birthday, because before the war he had a Pentax and his wife decided he'd like a new one.
09-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #282
Veteran Member

Been at Disney World for the past 3 days. I have seen scores of Canikon, one Olympus, one Panasonic, and no other Pentax
09-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #283

Went to the town to sort out some college stuff, saw 2 Pentaxians and a Canon. Pentax wins again
09-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #284
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
id say the box movers {from white goods stores} are shifting more cameras than the camera shops , people may visit a camera store to try them out..then go to JB HIFI and purchase..
This is exactly what I did with my K200D and K-x (now sold). JB had the best deals, with the local Camerahouse wanting nearly half as much again for just the basic camera + kit lens.

As for buying lenses... forget it. Even the local Camerahouse doesnt stock Pentax lenses: they have old stock for huge prices and prefer to push Canon instead. Newcastle AU appears to be a Canon town.
09-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #285

While at Burning Man I saw a wide variety of Cannikons, and various lenses. There was one older guy I met while playing Black Jack who was carrying around an old Kodak DCS Pro with a Sigma 18-250mm lens....that was cool as I had never seen a Kodak body before that. As for Pentax....they seemed really under represented, and only saw what looked like a K-7 with some kind of zoom lens. Also, I saw one Optio W90. There had to be more out there that wasn't seen, but I counted 3 Pentax cameras (mine included) during the whole week....made me feel kind of unique.