Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #2866
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kentishrev Quote
Interestingly, it was only those with the D4 and D7***s that gave knowing nods to my Pentax.
D7000 series aren't bad

06-03-2014, 05:30 AM   #2867
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I ran into a fellow Pentaxian at Wonderfest this weekend. We chatted for a while, and I let him know about this great resource. He had a K20D he obtained through an employee points system a few years ago.
06-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #2868
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Taking a cruise to Alaska next week. It will be interesting to see if there are any other Pentax users out there on deck in the rain or out on the whale-watching boats in the salt... WR was one of the prime reasons for upgrading my rig from K100D to K30/18-135 Hoping for some good close-up time with our cetacean buddies!

Jim
My wife and I will be going to Alaska in August to visit family. We have never been there. I already told my son, I am bringing every memory card I have, formatted, and I plan to try filling each one with photos. I have at least two of each size SD card; 2, 4, 8, 16, and 32 Gb. I use two K-x DSLRs and will be using each. Lenses are the 18-55 kit lens, 35-80 f/4-5.6, 55-300 f/4-5.8, and a 50mm f/2 and a 28mm f/2 from my film camera. Hopefully I will see a few other Pentaxians there.
06-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #2869
Veteran Member

You might! My last trip to Alaska (2 years ago in July on Princess from San Francisco), I was able to spot a Pentax 645D in the wild (drizzle/fog actually), and another fellow was nice enough to lend me his Sigma 120-400mm after my Sigma 18-200mm fogged up internally on my red K-x. You'll want to keep the 55-300mm handy if you're on a cruise or in Juneau to see Mendenhall glacier unless you're taking the hike to the waterfall. As a note - make sure you bring some fresh Energizer lithium AA's

06-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #2870
Site Supporter

Enjoyed watching again "Hard Day's Night" (1964) with the Beatles last night. I noticed that Ringo was shooting with a black Pentax! Yes, indeedy! At one point he managed to topple it in a river, probably the Thames. Oops! Very shallow water, fortunately. He retrieved it and kept on shooting. Tough cameras, Pentax, as shown in this thoroughly amusing movie.

I didn't see a single Canikon, although there were a number of Rolleis and Speed Graphics, used by the press.
06-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #2871
Site Supporter

If you look at old Beatles stills photos you will see all of them with Pentax cameras hanging around their necks in lots of shots. They were all into photography as well as music in the early to mid 60's and possibly influenced by the daughter of the founder of the Eastman Kodak company who was a photo-journalist at the time and hung around with the band. That lady was Linda Eastman who went on to become the first Mrs. Paul McCartney.
06-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #2872
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
If you look at old Beatles stills photos you will see all of them with Pentax cameras hanging around their necks in lots of shots. They were all into photography as well as music in the early to mid 60's and possibly influenced by the daughter of the founder of the Eastman Kodak company who was a photo-journalist at the time and hung around with the band. That lady was Linda Eastman who went on to become the first Mrs. Paul McCartney.

Interesting. When I went to Rochester NY there was a note at the Eastman Museum, in the old family house that said that when the founder passed the estate executor found his philanthropic notes, including some huge amount (I have the idea of $500M) that he had donated to local universities. My boss at the time came away saying that the founder had not married and did not have inheritors. He must have got it wrong, even though he always thinks he is right. Still, that issue led to my objection, which I have told him to his face, which got embedded in a major educational project I worked on from 2009 to 2012 - and we delivered the results 1 day earlier that schedule. The originating organisation of the project is not used to that!
06-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #2873
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I'm not sure about the situation with spectacle lenses.
I think they were sold to Seiko and I'm not certain the Pentax brand is used any more. There is an old Pentax vision test card at my optometrist, though.

06-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #2874

well..
I guess..
PentaxIsDoomed!™
06-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #2875
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That lady was Linda Eastman who went on to become the first Mrs. Paul McCartney.
It's a common misconception, but there's no relation between Linda McCartney (née Eastman) and George Eastman.
06-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #2876
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Enjoyed watching again "Hard Day's Night" (1964) with the Beatles last night. I noticed that Ringo was shooting with a black Pentax!
With all the angst and bitter self-criticism, of course The Beatles were Pentax guys!

In fact, they could have *been* Pentaxes.

Paul a K3, John a 645D, George a K50, Ringo a Q. Everyone likes the Q!
06-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #2877
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
It's a common misconception, but there's no relation between Linda McCartney (née Eastman) and George Eastman.
I stand corrected on that fact and it's a misapprehension I've been under for many years, thank you for correcting my error.

I still think she had a big influence on the photographic interests of the Beatles in that time period though, and they certainly were fans of Pentax cameras.

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2014 at 17:17 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Ringo a Q. Everyone likes the Q!
Surely Paul should be a Q based on your theory after all he was always the most popular at the time (especially with the girls).
06-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #2878
Lens Buying Addict

Linda Eastman was not an heir to Eastman Kodak - that is an untrue urban legend. Her father's name was Leopold Epstein, son of Rusiian Jewish immigrants. He changed his name to Eastman. Linda was a pretty much amateur photographer who got lucky and became the house photographer at the Fillmore East. She met an photographed virtually all the hot acts of the time.

See Wikipedia Linda Eastman McCartney Good reading.
06-03-2014, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #2879
Loyal Site Supporter

Surely Paul should be a Q based on your theory after all he was always the most popular at the time (especially with the girls).
George was the real pantsman, apparently.

Paul couldn't have been the Q, he did a lot of superb serious work as well as the throwaway stuff. (Kidding, Q fans, kidding! )
06-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #2880
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
My wife and I will be going to Alaska in August to visit family. We have never been there. I already told my son, I am bringing every memory card I have, formatted, and I plan to try filling each one with photos. I have at least two of each size SD card; 2, 4, 8, 16, and 32 Gb. I use two K-x DSLRs and will be using each. Lenses are the 18-55 kit lens, 35-80 f/4-5.6, 55-300 f/4-5.8, and a 50mm f/2 and a 28mm f/2 from my film camera. Hopefully I will see a few other Pentaxians there.
Due to some uncertainty in the employment arena for the spousal unit after our return, I opted for a minimal outlay... Updated the K100D to the K-30 with the 18-135, and I will take along my DA 12-24 for scenic days (when it's not wet). For longer reach, my Promaster 70-300 and an ancient 2x TC from my wife's old ME Super. Not greatest on the IQ, but easiest on the wallet (even compared to a long lens rental). I've been pretty impressed with the results the K-30 can get with the old glass I have on hand...

(edit) Lithium battery for K-30, plus the AA adapter and four sets of Eneloops plus chargers for both :-) And Oly XZ-1 pocketable camera and supplies...

Jim

Last edited by RoxnDox; 06-04-2014 at 09:33 AM.