Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #2881
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
As a note - make sure you bring some fresh Energizer lithium AA's
You make a good point, however, I have sufficient NiMH rechargeables for both cameras and four flash attachments, plus I have extra batteries. I'll be staying with a son and daughter-in-law where I can recharge with my Ray-O-Vac one-hour chargers (3 of them) which charge each cell indivudually. I don't anticipate a shortage of power for anything. Thanks for the tip.

On a different note, any suggestions for photo ops in and around Anchorage would be appreciated. Although my son and daughter-in-law have been there for almost a year and a half, they may not have the same ideas as some of you professionals (and amateurs) on the forum. They are not extremely avid photographers, though they do take a significant number of photographs.

Thanks in advance for ideas.

06-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #2882
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
If you look at old Beatles stills photos you will see all of them with Pentax cameras hanging around their necks in lots of shots. They were all into photography as well as music in the early to mid 60's and possibly influenced by the daughter of the founder of the Eastman Kodak company who was a photo-journalist at the time and hung around with the band. That lady was Linda Eastman who went on to become the first Mrs. Paul McCartney.
This might be of interest: Act Naturally: The Photography Of Ringo Starr | MOJO
06-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #2883
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Due to some uncertainty in the employment arena for the spousal unit after our return
Huh? You lost me......
06-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #2884
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
Huh? You lost me......
Translation -> His wife lost her job or needs to find a new one, thus finances could be better.

06-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #2885
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Translation -> His wife lost her job or needs to find a new one, thus finances could be better.
That clears things
06-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #2886
DAZ
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
On a different note, any suggestions for photo ops in and around Anchorage would be appreciated. Although my son and daughter-in-law have been there for almost a year and a half, they may not have the same ideas as some of you professionals (and amateurs) on the forum. They are not extremely avid photographers, though they do take a significant number of photographs.

There is a wide spot in the road up to a place called the Arctic Valley Ski Bowl Area. The road on the map is “Arctic Valley Road” but the locals call it “Ski Bowl Road”. On a clear day you can see all of Anchorage, the Air base and the Army Fort. There is a mountain behind (as you are looking at the valley) and more mountains on the other side of the valley. If the weather is good the sun sets can be a treat. The problem is if you go in the summer the weather may be good but it will be very late at night until the sun sets.

DAZ
06-05-2014, 12:55 AM   #2887
Pentaxian

You make a good point, however, I have sufficient NiMH rechargeables for both cameras and four flash attachments, plus I have extra batteries. I'll be staying with a son and daughter-in-law where I can recharge with my Ray-O-Vac one-hour chargers (3 of them) which charge each cell indivudually. I don't anticipate a shortage of power for anything. Thanks for the tip.

NIMH batteries can have problems in the cold though. When I was in Finland I had NIMHs that could usually get around 150 shots perhaps (they were a bit worn out). But on a cold day in Helsinki outside I got maybe 10 shots out of them...
06-05-2014, 03:40 AM   #2888
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I assume that the stuff you saw was HOYA stuff.
Very possible, but I didn't see Hoya's name anywhere. Could have been on the plates/decals on the back, but I didn't muscle the machines around to look But for sure, it was the familiar red logo, so people seeing that logo would (I hope) recognize it later.

06-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #2889
Pentaxian

The Pentax name is split among four different corporations now I think. Ricoh for cameras, Hoya for medical, another one for surveying, and another one for eyewear optics (I think it is).
06-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #2890
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yep, close enough

Jim
06-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #2891
Veteran Member

Blue Jays sweeped Detroit........
Who can stop them?
06-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #2892
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
There is a wide spot in the road up to a place called the Arctic Valley Ski Bowl Area. The road on the map is “Arctic Valley Road” but the locals call it “Ski Bowl Road”. On a clear day you can see all of Anchorage, the Air base and the Army Fort. There is a mountain behind (as you are looking at the valley) and more mountains on the other side of the valley. If the weather is good the sun sets can be a treat. The problem is if you go in the summer the weather may be good but it will be very late at night until the sun sets.

DAZ
Thanks for the tip. I looked for that road on googleearth and it appears to be within an easy drive, so I'll check it out. Depending on the clarity of the weather, I may try for a few sunset photos, too.

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
NIMH batteries can have problems in the cold though. When I was in Finland I had NIMHs that could usually get around 150 shots perhaps (they were a bit worn out). But on a cold day in Helsinki outside I got maybe 10 shots out of them...

Thanks for the reminder of the cold. I had not really given the temperature much thought, since I'll be there in August. However, I've had pretty good results with NiMHs over the past couple of years. I really do like the Eneloops as they seem to hold their charge very well. Since I have several extra batteries and can have them charged up each day, I feel okay with them. Also, I have a nice little pouch for them which I can keep inside my coat, close to my body for heat. That should help.
06-06-2014, 04:22 AM   #2893
Site Supporter

I had not really given the temperature much thought, since I'll be there in August.
In Fairbanks in August the temps use to be in the 80's. Anchorage If I remember right was about the same.. So temp should not be much of an issue. It is a beautiful state. We hope to get back there some day.
06-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #2894

I was in Charleston, S.C. for three days not too long ago, and I only saw one other Pentax user and no Olympus users.
06-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #2895

3 Pentax SLRs in 35 years

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Are we really that sparse out in the world?
Yes, we are. Until yesterday I saw 2 (two) Pentax SLRs; an MX in ~1979 (Venice, Italy) and a K-r (Nara, Japan) in 2011. Yesterday I spotted a K-3 (+DA★ 16–50) dangling from the shoulder of a German tourist in my hometown (Vienna, Austria). I said “Hey, a pentaxian! Rare view those days…” With a big grin he replied “What else?”
Pentax is not doomed.