Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #2896
What'chu lookin at

Photos: Gallery
Was walking through Queen Elizabeth park this afternoon in Vancouver, and saw a black strap with Pentax lettering. I wasn't close enough to see what the body was, but it was a welcome sight amid a sea of canikon's

06-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #2897
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When people stop asking me what is a Pentax...... Is the day we are not rare
06-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #2898

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
When people stop asking me what is a Pentax...... Is the day we are not rare
do they suspect that it is a portable coffee grinder of sorts or what?
06-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #2899
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by karro Quote
do they suspect that it is a portable coffee grinder of sorts or what?
They think it's a suped up Canikon....... Especially, with all the dedicated buttons ie: iso, white balance ect ect.

06-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #2900

I was in the local TigerDirect computer/electronics store the other day (in Etobicoke; not all that far from Rob Ford Country...) and noticed that they carry quite a few Pentax models:

- WGS-3 ($299)
- WGS-2 ($199)
- Q10 (black and silver) ($399)
- K-50 (which I think was the only DSLR) ($699, I think)

I don't think I've ever seen that many Pentaxes outside a camera store. I personally love the Q system, but I'll admit it's kinda oddball -- that's probably the most surprising of the bunch to see.

If you don't know it, TigerDirect is U.S. discount computer/electronics chain with a few stores in Canada.

A bit off topic, but their adverts for cameras on the outside walls of the store features a Kodak DCS DSLR. Thankfully, the cameras inside a more or less current.
06-14-2014, 11:13 PM   #2901
Loyal Site Supporter

So it's carried by a small, out-of-touch discount store chain? Okay, we'll take that! :-D
06-15-2014, 02:03 AM   #2902
Forum Member

At an astronomy forum I frequent, as far as DSLR's go, Canon is king by a looong mile, Nikon is next, then Sony etc followed by burnt stick. About 500 places down the list from the burnt stick is Pentax.
06-15-2014, 03:22 AM   #2903
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Learjet Quote
At an astronomy forum I frequent, as far as DSLR's go, Canon is king by a looong mile
Not surprising at all to me. The 60Da is probably the cheapest new device that doesn't require aftermarket tinkering to work well for serious astrophotography. I'm also not surprised to hear Pentax cameras are not used widely. Most software seem to only support Canon and maybe Nikon, and Astrotracer is not as useful as a tracking mount if one has both.

But then, for the casual astrophotographer, the Pentax system is probably more than enough. It seems like a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of system.

Last edited by Giklab; 06-15-2014 at 03:30 AM.
06-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #2904
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
I was in the local TigerDirect computer/electronics store the other day
The Tiger Direct "main" store and HQ are here in Miami. They have several stores around town, including one not far from my house. We go in there occasionally, and I have seen a small selection of Pentax cameras, although the only DLSR is typically a K30 or K50. No accessories.

IF -- a big IF -- they happen to have a demo camera on display it typically has no lens attached. You can handle it all you like but without a lens...

The second IF -- if they actually have a camera in-the-box for sale -- you can't event touch the box (never mind the camera) unless you purchase it. I don't think I've seen a "kit" box in the store, ever. They do, I believe, sell kits online.
06-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #2905
Site Supporter

A Lavender Pentax??

We went to the Lavender Festival Saturday in Roswell, Georgia. I saw no Pentaxes, in fact only one or two other DSLRs, but I chatted at length with a guy who had a sales tent with many well done photos. He'd been in graphics and had shut down his darkroom, alas. He knew of and thought well of Pentax. Later Flora and I were enjoying lavender infused iced tea and lavender ice cream when the fellow at the next table asked me if my Pentax were film or digital. He'd had the 42mm Pentaxes, but got tired of slow lens changes and went Nikon. Just couldn't wait for the K mount, I guess.
06-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #2906
Pentaxian

Last week I saw a Pentax in Spain. KxxD, can't remember which one. And a brown (!) Canon. Not sure what happened there... I know they did some dark red ones, but apart from that...
06-16-2014, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #2907
Veteran Member

We are more rarer then Iran winning the World Cup............
06-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #2908
What'chu lookin at

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
We are more rarer then Iran winning the World Cup............
That was a pretty even match up, both seemed at about the same level..
06-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #2909
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Learjet Quote
At an astronomy forum I frequent, as far as DSLR's go, Canon is king by a looong mile, Nikon is next, then Sony etc followed by burnt stick. About 500 places down the list from the burnt stick is Pentax.
Is that the burnt stick with or without the AA filter ?
carbon based sensors are coming along in leaps and bounds
06-17-2014, 01:34 AM   #2910
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Is that the burnt stick with or without the AA filter ?
Full spectrum burnt stick.