Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #2941
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
yes we are and that is because of Pentax marketing strategy not because of the actual products
I am really interested in the strategy !!! Can u tell me more??!

07-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #2942
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mjason Quote
I am really interested in the strategy !!! Can u tell me more??!
It didn't exist until recently.
07-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #2943
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
I don't want to hear nay more complaints from you lot about lack of marketing for PENTAX.

I'm thinking of a career change, I think I could do just a good a job in the marketing department at Ricoh. I wonder if they have any openings where it might fit in.
Ricoh has changed that view over the recent years. Things have picked up well in the marketing area worldwide, I believe, and Pentax is getting more and more visible these days. Good times yes.
07-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #2944

I had some pentax till I was a child.. pocket and then DSLR till now
1 year ago, a Friend surprised me by telling me he also bought a Pentax DSLR.
Here in Argentina I saw some shooters with Pentax, but most common to see canikoners.

During Rugby Wolrd Cup 2011 in NZ, a japanese guy was very happy to see me shooting with my old K200D

happy to be weird pentaxian!

07-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #2945
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Ricoh has changed that view over the recent years. Things have picked up well in the marketing area worldwide, I believe, and Pentax is getting more and more visible these days. Good times yes.
There's so much potential for marketing the Pentax brand, it's kind of ridiculous. A clever jab at Canikon users during the SuperBowl, for example, would do great things for the brand, and they don't have to spend loads on ads and marketing. It's so sad that Pentax has no presence in some places, though. Like here in Mexico, it's sold NOWHERE, and nobody knows what a Pentax is. There's probably less than 1000 Pentax users in all of Mexico, and that's optimistic. Flip side is, we're few but we're proud owners, and we know our equipment well, which can't be said for the vast majority of Canikon and Sony users.

Last edited by axelm7; 07-17-2014 at 02:49 PM.
07-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #2946
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One somewhat frustrating thing I have noticed is numerous cases where Ricoh sponsors an event or activity, even to producing elaborate television ads, and never mentions Pentax. I saw a golf pro playing on TV a few years back with a Pentax logo on her cap but of late all I see is Ricoh ads.
07-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #2947
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
One somewhat frustrating thing I have noticed is numerous cases where Ricoh sponsors an event or activity, even to producing elaborate television ads, and never mentions Pentax. I saw a golf pro playing on TV a few years back with a Pentax logo on her cap but of late all I see is Ricoh ads.
Ricoh was been sponsoring sporting events, etc long before they acquired Pentax, which is after all still a minor part of the company. If they've got long-term sponsorship contracts in place, they may not even be able to just start throwing around the Pentax name wherever, even if they wanted to...
07-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #2948
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Ricoh was been sponsoring sporting events, etc long before they acquired Pentax, which is after all still a minor part of the company. If they've got long-term sponsorship contracts in place, they may not even be able to just start throwing around the Pentax name wherever, even if they wanted to...
And we all know what happens around here when they put a little Ricoh on the back of the camera. The Pentaxians on this board want to be included in Ricoh advertising, they might want to let the Ricoh name on the camera get a little bigger. Oh wait, we want them to start a whole new advertising division just for Pentax..... you know like Sony does for Konika/Minolta cameras.

I better bite my tongue now. <runs for the door ducking>

07-18-2014, 06:11 AM   #2949
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axelm7 Quote
...Like here in Mexico, it's sold NOWHERE, and nobody knows what a Pentax is. There's probably less than 1000 Pentax users in all of Mexico, and that's optimistic. Flip side is, we're few but we're proud owners, and we know our equipment well, which can't be said for the vast majority of Canikon and Sony users.
Being from Mexico also, I agree with your appreciation, except for two things, I wouldn't underestimate the number of pentaxians in Mexico, and also, old time photographers know very well the brand. They were typically using Pentax Spotmatics and K1000 as their work horses. Pentax had an excellent reputation among these people for its ruggedness. If and when Ricoh decides to promote the Pentax brand globally, I believe we will see many people digging into their memories and come back to the brand bringing with them many other new users. Well, at least that are my good wishes. Cheers.

Norberto
07-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #2950
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trevinon Quote
Being from Mexico also, I agree with your appreciation, except for two things, I wouldn't underestimate the number of pentaxians in Mexico, and also, old time photographers know very well the brand. They were typically using Pentax Spotmatics and K1000 as their work horses. Pentax had an excellent reputation among these people for its ruggedness. If and when Ricoh decides to promote the Pentax brand globally, I believe we will see many people digging into their memories and come back to the brand bringing with them many other new users. Well, at least that are my good wishes. Cheers.

Norberto
Ah, but I meant DSLR users. I have seen 2 pentax bodies in the wild, I believe, both film. I think they did sell Pentax in the 80's, but then stopped for some reason.
07-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #2951
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had a part-time job were I shot assembly line portraits of youth sports teams. This was back in the film days, so we used Pentax K1000's. These cameras could take a licking, but I got to admit it was easier to load my Nikon FM2 which I had at home. My supervisor had a special edition gold K1000 model with leather trimmings. When we switched to digital we went with the Canon 30D then the 40D. We sure could have used an all weather camera back then since we shot mostly outdoors. Along with the Pentax cameras we used Norman Lighting equipment which is also known for its ruggedness. When I was in school everybody had to bring in their cameras on certain days. Out of a class of 20, there was one student with a Pentax K7, one student with an Olympus 520, two students had Sony's I forget which model and everybody else had Canon or Nikon.
07-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #2952
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axelm7 Quote
Like here in Mexico, it's sold NOWHERE, and nobody knows what a Pentax is. There's probably less than 1000 Pentax users in all of Mexico, and that's optimistic. Flip side is, we're few but we're proud owners, and we know our equipment well, which can't be said for the vast majority of Canikon and Sony users.
In terms of population the case is similar in the Philippines... but in recent years, developments like this:

signaled a very good rise in Pentax users in the country. That above is the PH distributor for Pentax, and aside from an entire WALL of Pentax stuff, they also have a small but permanent (or at least as long as space is paid!) area for showcasing Pentax products (sort of a test-and-ogle gallery)
07-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #2953
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Was at a Rib and Beer Fest.....
We are so rare? Had to teach a canon user (70D) how to use a feature on his camera.....

---------- Post added 07-19-14 at 10:27 PM ----------

He was a Pro

---------- Post added 07-19-14 at 10:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
In terms of population the case is similar in the Philippines... but in recent years, developments like this:

signaled a very good rise in Pentax users in the country. That above is the PH distributor for Pentax, and aside from an entire WALL of Pentax stuff, they also have a small but permanent (or at least as long as space is paid!) area for showcasing Pentax products (sort of a test-and-ogle gallery)
Love it.....
07-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #2954
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another sighting... a K10D in the hands of a visitor to my workplace yesterday. I invited him to visit PF and join us, I think he might.
07-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #2955
Pentaxian

Been in NW Washington state for a week and Seattle specifically for the past few days and have yet to see another Pentax. Seems like this wet, outdoorsy region would be a prime area for them. Well, I guess I've just been seeing tourists' cams. Will check out a Seattle camera shop soon and see what's going on there.