Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 05:14 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Call me basis but I think Pentax aren't popular in the US for good reason - Americans are simply too obsessed of the size. Don't believe me? Look at all the big bulky heavy cars that they have built, the most fuel hungry jet engine powered tanks, the way jumbo-sized fat filled fast foods, and not to mention those God knows why any sane people would go for big ugly fake implants. The reason is really simply - if it is big, we love it. Small Pentax? FAILED!

08-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #17
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think that pentaxian are not so unusual in France.
08-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #18
Inactive Account

I see plenty of Pentax DSLR's in Ontario, Canada - mind you it is far less than Canon or Nikon (but significantly more than Olympus or Sony).

If you really want to see rare...try to find someone still shooting film in a crowd of camera users...

c[_]
08-06-2010, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #19
Inactive Account

We seem to have to alot of Pentaxians from NZ and AUS represented well on the forum.
I think it to do with the whole underdog mentality here.

08-06-2010, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was at the Toronto Zoo a few weeks ago with my family and over by the gorilla exhibit I was surrounded by Canikon everywhere. I wasn't surprised, but I felt a little self conscious with my K20D and 55-300mm lens. All the other guys had bigger lenses and I was feeling a bit inadequate.

Then, I whipped around to change my angle on the subject and I practically ran into a guy holding a K20D with a 55-300 on it. We kinda chuckled at each other and then went about our business. No bragging necessary.
08-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Well, I was in China a month ago, while I was traveling, I saw a few Pentax shooters among all the tourists in Beijing, but it was good to see them. I went to a used camera and lens shop, the owner told me that there are some hardcore Pentax shooters, there was a guy that bought over 25 classic(A*, FA*, FA limited) lenses from them, and the guy also have the big Pentax glasses as well...
I've been introduced Pentax(some new users; some who had used Pentax 35mm film and didn't not know they can still use their old glasses on the new DSLR); I think I got at least 16 people buying the K-x after I talk to them about Pentax around Central Iowa area... I think Pentax shooter are growing, Pentax really need to change its marketing strategy to let more older Pentax 35mm shooters know that they are still existing and well made...
08-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #22

I recently spent a week in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and only saw canikons. I was there with my Olympus (new to forum--haven't purchased my Pentax dslr yet--hopefully soon) looking for Oly, Pentax, and Sony--saw none.

I was visiting Space Center Houston earlier in the summer, however, and met a man with a K-7. He gave me a quick tour and I fell in love with it!

08-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I think I don't really want Pentax to be too famous as we might be paying Canikon prices once there becomes too much a demand for Pentax.
..remember the law of supply and demand.
08-06-2010, 06:50 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

A while back a guy who ended up being my teacher for a while back invited me to a talk session he does with inexperienced wanna be photographers. In front of him on the table he had about 20 cameras including several SLR's and DSLR's of various types. At the end of his talk we were all invited up to view the cameras and to talk about them informally.

He did this little exercise where he asked us all to pick a camera and to explain why we went there. Something like 75% of the people there went to stand by the Nikon and Canon DSLR cameras. I was the lone Pentax fan.

He then asked what camera they thought was his favorite of the whole batch, the one he preferred. Of course, nearly everyone there pointed at the best Nikon which must have cost the guy a small fortune.

Much to the astonishment of nearly everyone there he shook his head, reached over to grab an old Pentax SLR, and put his hand on another, a Pentax DSLR, which I believe was the K10 or K100. (This was back when they were new.)

It was all I could do not to snicker because the looks he got were just priceless. FYI, this guy could afford any camera he wanted. He shoots for major magazines and is pretty high profile, has been in the business for many, many years. He does use Nikon, Canon, several other brands too, but he admits he just plain likes Pentax cameras and always has.

Afterward he invited me and one other guy back to his studio and we got to see his whole shelf of cameras and then we got to play with them for a bit. I was a Pentax fan before that, but honestly getting to look at his Pentax DSLR's and the rest, that was what did it for me.

Even if I could afford a 5K camera I'm still not too sure I wouldn't choose to get a K7 or a K-x. There are Nikons out there that I like too, but the Pentax is just "my" camera and I really think I'd be most comfortable with a Pentax DSLR.

It didn't bug me when all those people looked at me like I was nuts though, and honestly I don't care much when people give me heck for shooting with my SPII now. "I" know what a Pentax can do. I know how good the lenses are and that's enough of a reason for me to like and use them.

I have actually run into very few people who shoot Pentax, and yeah, I've had the Nikon and Canon people snicker at me, more than once, but it just rolls off. All I have to do is look at pics taken by any good Takumar and I know exactly "why" I'm saving up for a Pentax DSLR versus say a Canon or Nikon.

But you know I also figure if a guy who has been in the business since before I was born, a photographer who is probably making 100K plus a year has a Pentax or three on his shelf and likes them well enough to call them his favorite cameras? I must be doing something right in going with one. This guy can afford anything, and he does, but he still makes room on the shelf for his Pentax cameras. That really says something to me.
08-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #25

Photos: Albums
Pinoy Pentaxian

here are the few Pentaxians here in the philippines
I am proud to say that I am one of them (Rafael de Leon)

lol

---

yes I attended a photoshoot just recently then the official photographer asked me "why pentax?"

i just dont want to join the CaNikon bandwagon
I wanted to be interesting

--

I also went to Rizal Park
last time and I was surprised to see some people using the Kx in different colors

I must say that the Kx can really bring out "PENTAX" back in the market.
08-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #26
Veteran Member

While most cameras you see here are Nikon or Canon, Pentax has a fairly good following, especially from people that gre up in the 60s/70s/80s. While unusual, I was at a weekend event last spring and there was only Pentax....no Canon or Nikon.
08-06-2010, 09:18 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
. . . . . . Pentax has a fairly good following, especially from people that gre up in the 60s/70s/80s. . . . .
You mean those of us (including me) that are no longer rare, but decidely well done?

Jer
08-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm game

I like being the odd man out. I get weird looks when I'm out with the k100d and my old and 1st camera a Sears TLS But I don't payto much what other people think
08-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I know exactly 2 other people with DSLRs, so I can't really comment on the presence of Pentax photographers, but I do know that every time I have ever shown my DSLR to someone they had no clue what Pentax was, which was weird, because when I started looking for my first camera the only company I didn't know made DSLRs was Sony.
08-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I was in Washington DC a few weeks ago and I saw 2 other K-7s and someone with a K200D. Perhaps it was just a good day for Pentax