Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #3001
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Gratified to see two you East Asian woman with a Pentax DSLR on Bloor near Palmerston in Toronto (perhaps a K 30?).
There's a handful of us in Toronto. (Pentax shooters that is. Young East Asian women are more numerous.)

I've run into one guy with a K-5 (II?) a few times, and only last week ran into someone else with a K-5 or K-3 and grip.

07-31-2014, 02:37 AM   #3002

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would blame Vitalli's bosses. They are the ones that quit stocking Pentax.
Not even I would blame them. Meanwhile we are paying for selling Pentax. we are just recellers and if there is absolutely no profit i can`t blame them. sometimes we even sale under the buying price sooo ... ... ... we`ve done our best.

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I wonder if some of the big brands offer dealers good deals to not stock smaller players like Pentax. e.g. product discounts, or delayed payment terms (even consignment) or shop fitout conditional on ... - and the shops are not as brazen as I have heard of in China with drinks sellers stocking all brands including Pepsi in a Coke labelled fridge. For example, it is very rare to see a shop other than big supermarkets selling drinks from both the major competing brands - even not directly competing products.
i heven`t heard of such a thing. about china i think there may be no merchendising company for small shops at all.
normaly every big company has their own merchendising department - there are merchendisers who look that their product are stored propperly onse a week/month/quartal/year. sometimes companies pay for a special place where their product must be stored - eyeheight/ middle of the rack etc.

on other hand distributors can offer you a better deal, depending on order quantity/ marketing importance/ advertising etc selling you products under the normal prices(i mean even under real distribution prices).

and at last the advertising, all kinds of sales, special offers, cash backs, booklets, posters etc. - the distributors are making the prices, not the recellers.
07-31-2014, 11:17 PM   #3003
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I think you pretty much got my point. But on the car when I talked of it as independent I meant:
If my current car is brand X model Y, and even if I bought a few accessories for it (they would be worn out a bit and would go with the car)
My next car choice is independent of the previous one because I am not carrying over any accessories which need to be compatible.

I wonder if some of the big brands offer dealers good deals to not stock smaller players like Pentax. e.g. product discounts, or delayed payment terms (even consignment) or shop fitout conditional on ... - and the shops are not as brazen as I have heard of in China with drinks sellers stocking all brands including Pepsi in a Coke labelled fridge. For example, it is very rare to see a shop other than big supermarkets selling drinks from both the major competing brands - even not directly competing products.
Intel was known to do that... You could get better intel price if you didn't sell any AMD processor. It is of course illegal... and so it was not official... it just did happen that you would get better prices and that you do not sell AMD...

I don't know what the big players do or not... I'am not sure they need to do much in fact. Just to have a good choice for Canikon on a physical store take some space... Having even more gear cost money! You have to store it, display it and so own. And if your selling volume doesn't justify that... Why do so?
08-01-2014, 12:55 AM   #3004

I have been following this thread since the beginning, a lot of people are scared about the future of Pentax so I am a bit. Not of Ricoh but more about human nature, the biggest percentage of the people are followers, like a river they follow the flow. Something Canon understands very well.

Pentax has one of the best, if not the best starter camera on the market, but people are still buying those cheap low grade rebel Canon that feel that are going to break if you squeeze them too much...they follow the flow.

Ricoh which is #1 Canon competitor for office printer knew that already before buying Pentax, they enter a major war with Canon, which they must not lose. Otherwise they would loose the face toward the office printer market and that could sign the end of Ricoh.
I doubt that Ricoh did not think about that.

I talked to a lot of photography beginner that I meet and often asked them why did they choose the other brand over Pentax, the answer I often get is that other brand has a bigger choice of lens. I don't really know why one would need five, 50mm lens, but it is the way it is. Since Ricoh bought Pentax we can see that they are building inventory.

So in conclusion I believe that Ricoh has not started any publicity to try to put Pentax back on the shelve yet.
But before they lose they will try, just wait for the big bang. The market war has not just started yet...

08-01-2014, 03:38 AM   #3005
Pentaxian

The question may be seen differently. Why would you go to Pentax. That obvious for many of us here. But not from the outside or if you are not an expert, this is not obvious when in most shop you'll see the Nikon/Canon gear everywhere and no Pentax at all...

And if you give advice to somebody, there is no risk to say Canon or Nikon... If something go wrong you given advice for the major player... You are safe. If you say Pentax and something go bad, it is very easy to wonder why you didn't advice for the leaders...
08-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #3006

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Last week I went to Finland (from Sweden). First I saw a Polish guy at a road side restaurant in Sweden with a Pentax strap. On the ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki I saw one (1) Chinese guy with a Pentax camera, I think it was a K50. More interesting: I saw a lot of mid aged (I'm 56, so to me mid age is 60+) beer bellied men with Canon 5D MkII, and a few with a Nikon 600. What's interesting about that? Well, shooting technique revealed that most of them would have done just as well with their cellphone. Probably the seller had told them "this is the thang, if you want to be a real photographer". The one guy who seemed knowing how to use the full potential of his camera, was a young Chinese with an Olympus 4/3. Just an observation, for what it's worth.

Kjell
08-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #3007
Veteran Member

k-500 seen in Vancouver @ Stanley park. I spoke with them, and they stated that they bought the Pentax because they had an old film camera and lenses, and wanted to use the old lenses.
k-50/500 + k7/5/3 spotted in the Cathedral Forest outside of Port Alberni. When I mentioned that there was a Pentaxian, she said... I have 2.
Unfortunately, in Victoria, its all Canon/Nikon/Sony, and the downtown camera store is closed for the weekend.
08-03-2014, 11:50 PM   #3008
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
... wanted to use the old lenses. ...
One of the better reasons.

08-04-2014, 04:18 AM   #3009
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
One of the better reasons.
If you really use them in place of new lenses...

But if you want to invest on the system in the long run... Well you have to see if this system match your needs.
08-05-2014, 01:45 AM   #3010
Pentaxian

Funny that they say lenses when most will not have more than 1 lens.

Pentax needs to get the cameras in the hands of people. Touch one, and you'll want one. The problem is that it seems to get even worse, stores are taking Pentax off the shelves!

On an employer rating site Pentax Germany is doing really bad. Awful managers who don't listen or care etc.
08-05-2014, 03:31 AM   #3011

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Pentax needs to get the cameras in the hands of people. Touch one, and you'll want one. The problem is that it seems to get even worse, stores are taking Pentax off the shelves!
I don't know what magical dust they put on Pentax but every time I try to use Nikon, my fingers can't find anything, not even a good shakeless grip. On the other hand when I give my ME Super to someone else worthy of manual film SLR I usually get it back with feedback "That was easy to use. I think I got focus right and the shutter speed was.." And think about that. ME has design of 2by4.

So the sellers should get truck show on the road and let people touch only once Pentax. Second touch is allowed after purchase.
08-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #3012
What'chu lookin at

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
k-500 seen in Vancouver @ Stanley park. I spoke with them, and they stated that they bought the Pentax because they had an old film camera and lenses, and wanted to use the old lenses.
k-50/500 + k7/5/3 spotted in the Cathedral Forest outside of Port Alberni. When I mentioned that there was a Pentaxian, she said... I have 2.
Unfortunately, in Victoria, its all Canon/Nikon/Sony, and the downtown camera store is closed for the weekend.
Don't you worry, my bro has his k30 and ME in vic, and once I move back from van, I'll have my k50 and MX
08-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #3013
Veteran Member

London Drugs in Vic as well as Lens and Shutter have a decent supply.
08-05-2014, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #3014

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
I don't know what magical dust they put on Pentax but every time I try to use Nikon, my fingers can't find anything, not even a good shakeless grip.
I was asked to snap a photo with friend's D7100 and I figured I need to have exp.compensation applied. my thought process at the moment: "ok, let's adjust! wait.. wha?.. ugh. no, really? where.. oh, whatever, they'll do the PP"
08-05-2014, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #3015

QuoteOriginally posted by karro Quote
I was asked to snap a photo with friend's D7100 and I figured I need to have exp.compensation applied. my thought process at the moment: "ok, let's adjust! wait.. wha?.. ugh. no, really? where.. oh, whatever, they'll do the PP"
True.......

Same goes to the ISO, change JPEG to RAW... And finally when you finish taking the shot and on playback....... I can't figure out how to zoom in.

Cheers...........