Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #3031
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
That'll be the little exposure compensation button on the D7100 (not far from where it is on the K-5), coupled with the rear wheel (just like the K-5), Norm
And you honestly think I didn't try that..... people

I can't tell from the picture what model she was using... but I did hold something down and scroll the wheel, just the result was not as expected.

08-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #3032
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I can't tell from the picture what model she was using.
Yeah, she's using a 3xxx or 5xxx. I used to have a D5200, but I don't remember how the exposure compensation worked. More seriously, I collect and use a lot of digital cameras and I honestly prefer the ergonomics and menu system of my Pentaxes. I think Canon is probably the next most intuitive. The Nikon menu system isn't very user-friendly at all.
08-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #3033
Pentaxian

Yeah, she's using a 3xxx or 5xxx. I used to have a D5200, but I don't remember how the exposure compensation worked. More seriously, I collect and use a lot of digital cameras and I honestly prefer the ergonomics and menu system of my Pentaxes. I think Canon is probably the next most intuitive. The Nikon menu system isn't very user-friendly at all.
It was the second time in two years I've been flummoxed trying to help a Nikon user optimize their system. That has to be darn near 20% of the Nikon users who handed me a camera and asked me to take a picture of them and their group. You wear a DSLR, everyone thinks you know something....
08-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #3034
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
@stevebrot: I tend to exaggerate
Yes, you do.

BTW...this is not exactly a "Pentax video rant" thread, nor is it a "why Pentax is not a sales leader" thread. It exists because people are interested about sightings of other Pentax cameras in the wild. There are occasional deviations (see above posts regarding Nikon controls), but generally not of the "My Pentax SUCKS!" variety. In short, this is sort of a friendly/funny thread.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-10-14 at 08:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
but I did hold something down and scroll the wheel, just the result was not as expected.
This has been my experience as well when handed a Nikon. The buttons are in the same place, but they seldom do the same thing.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-10-2014 at 08:48 AM.
08-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #3035
Veteran Member

Question about EV compensation: on all of my cameras, when using some form of manual settings (which is the majority of the time), I adjust the exposure to show about -.7 below what the meter says is properly exposed. I usually do this by adjusting shutter speed. Any particular advantage/disadvantage vs. menu diving to change the compensation?
08-10-2014, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #3036
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Question about EV compensation: on all of my cameras, when using some form of manual settings (which is the majority of the time), I adjust the exposure to show about -.7 below what the meter says is properly exposed. I usually do this by adjusting shutter speed. Any particular advantage/disadvantage vs. menu diving to change the compensation?
Well all the Pentax models have an EV (+/-) button, so you just hit it and spin the wheel -- no menu diving. The effect is the same of course -- it is going to adjust the ISO, shutter speed, or aperture depending on what priority mode you are in...
08-10-2014, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #3037
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote

I use old manual lenses almost exclusively. I've taken to not even bothering with the meter anymore, but on the occasions I do use the stop-down metering, I tend to follow up the green button with a couple of whirls on the shutter speed dial - which would be exactly the -0.7 you mention. I find it seems to work fine.
08-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #3038
YQG

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
Unfortunately, in Victoria, its all Canon/Nikon/Sony, and the downtown camera store is closed for the weekend.
Kerrisdale is open seven days, if you're willing to head out to Uptown. =)

08-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #3039
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
k-500 seen in Vancouver @ Stanley park. I spoke with them, and they stated that they bought the Pentax because they had an old film camera and lenses, and wanted to use the old lenses.
k-50/500 + k7/5/3 spotted in the Cathedral Forest outside of Port Alberni. When I mentioned that there was a Pentaxian, she said... I have 2.
Unfortunately, in Victoria, its all Canon/Nikon/Sony, and the downtown camera store is closed for the weekend.
You didn't see me? The K-3 with the DA40 on the 25th? We walked from the cruise docks over to Stanley Park, bought the freshest berries ever there, continued up to one of the best Thai restaurants ever, stopped by Leo's Camera to eye the new 645Z which they'll be renting and then drifted back down to the water. Everyone at Leo's was extremely friendly and stocked new and used Pentax. Vancouver was wonderful and so easy to walk in.
08-10-2014, 11:13 PM   #3040
Pentaxian

Wow. For me Canon is awful... Nikon seems better. Then again I never tried to go deep down into the menus. Pentax usually seems to have the best UI and button placement (and buttons in general). Even the way the buttons feel when pressed seems better (next comes Nikon, then Canon at the bottom).

Actually to me Sony seems to be above Canon and Nikon for their DSLTs, the A7 confuses me though. I think I'd need some time setting it up the way I like it.

@stevebrot: I know, I know. But someone asked why the K-3 wouldn't be good for video, and I wanted to reply to that. Also it seems to me no one finds us in our little video corner, so a bit of exposure to the issues for the general public might not be a bad thing. You know, like, perhaps eventually someone at Pentax will notice it. It seems to me that Pentax just reacts to reviews of some photography sites, i.e. they criticize MJPEG and say h264 would be better, so Pentax provides it. They say audio could be improved, so Pentax does. And I guess someone complained they could, under some odd circumstance, hear some noises of the SR system, so Pentax put in an effort to "fix" that problem, fully unaware of the awful side effects the fix has. Unfortunately most of these reviewers are pretty clueless when it comes to video.
08-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #3041
Forum Member

Nary a one

Went on a wildlife and glacier cruise out of Seward, Alaska, today. Out of over 100 people on board there were only two Pentax cameras, my two K-x cameras. One couple each had a Canon. He put on a 600 mm lens while she put on a 200 to 400 zoom with a switch to give it a 1.4 aperture. Then they had camoflage covers on the cameras and lenses, then water proof covers over the lens and camera and used tripods, also with camoflage coverings. Many other canikon users and a few Sony users. I noticed one Nikon shooter looking at my cameras as I went out on deck and stopped to tell him "I'm a Pentaxian." He looked sort of startled and ask what I said, so I told him, "I noticed you looking at my cameras, I am a Pentaxian. His reply? "Oh." I am keeping my attention on what others are shooting but trying to be inconspicuous. Hoping to find a couple other Pentaxians during this trip to the North.
08-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #3042
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Wow. For me Canon is awful... Nikon seems better.
Of course, personal taste is a big factor here. I use Nikon for full-frame, and I hate its menu system. It's really hard for me to find settings that I don't use often. The tabs in both the Pentax and Canon menus I find much more intuitive, but each to his/her own, I guess. It irks me when I see camera reviewers criticise the Pentax menu for being "old-fashioned". It may not look glitzy, but in my humble (OK, not so humble) opinion, its still far and away the best I've used.
08-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #3043

Photos: Albums
I actually just looked up the D7100 on Teh Interwebs, and really, the button is right there, but when I had to find it Right Then(!!) - it apparently hid under other buttons or something.
08-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #3044
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I noticed one Nikon shooter looking at my cameras as I went out on deck and stopped to tell him "I'm a Pentaxian." He looked sort of startled and ask what I said, so I told him, "I noticed you looking at my cameras, I am a Pentaxian. His reply? "Oh."
Doesn't sound like he shared your enthusiasm. It must have been hard for him afterwards, trying to avoid running into you on a boat!

Looking forward to seeing your pics, Chas, sounds exciting.

Last edited by clackers; 08-11-2014 at 12:36 PM.
08-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #3045
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
You didn't see me? The K-3 with the DA40 on the 25th? We walked from the cruise docks over to Stanley Park, bought the freshest berries ever there, continued up to one of the best Thai restaurants ever, stopped by Leo's Camera to eye the new 645Z which they'll be renting and then drifted back down to the water. Everyone at Leo's was extremely friendly and stocked new and used Pentax. Vancouver was wonderful and so easy to walk in.
Unfortunately, I was only in Vancouver on the 30th, and made my way to Tofino/Victoria/Kelowna/Lake Louise/Banff/Coeur D'Alene

---------- Post added 08-11-14 at 10:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Went on a wildlife and glacier cruise out of Seward, Alaska, today. Out of over 100 people on board there were only two Pentax cameras, my two K-x cameras. One couple each had a Canon. He put on a 600 mm lens while she put on a 200 to 400 zoom with a switch to give it a 1.4 aperture. Then they had camoflage covers on the cameras and lenses, then water proof covers over the lens and camera and used tripods, also with camoflage coverings. Many other canikon users and a few Sony users. I noticed one Nikon shooter looking at my cameras as I went out on deck and stopped to tell him "I'm a Pentaxian." He looked sort of startled and ask what I said, so I told him, "I noticed you looking at my cameras, I am a Pentaxian. His reply? "Oh." I am keeping my attention on what others are shooting but trying to be inconspicuous. Hoping to find a couple other Pentaxians during this trip to the North.
I was lucky enough to see a 645D on my trip in the rain. My red k-x and lens fogged up in Tracy Arm, but I was lucky enough to have another Pentaxian lend my his Sigma 120-400mm.