Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #3031
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,671
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
That'll be the little exposure compensation button on the D7100 (not far from where it is on the K-5), coupled with the rear wheel (just like the K-5), Norm
And you honestly think I didn't try that..... people

I can't tell from the picture what model she was using... but I did hold something down and scroll the wheel, just the result was not as expected.

08-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #3032
Site Supporter
Cynog Ap Brychan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gloucester
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,091
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I can't tell from the picture what model she was using.
Yeah, she's using a 3xxx or 5xxx. I used to have a D5200, but I don't remember how the exposure compensation worked. More seriously, I collect and use a lot of digital cameras and I honestly prefer the ergonomics and menu system of my Pentaxes. I think Canon is probably the next most intuitive. The Nikon menu system isn't very user-friendly at all.
08-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #3033
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,671
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Yeah, she's using a 3xxx or 5xxx. I used to have a D5200, but I don't remember how the exposure compensation worked. More seriously, I collect and use a lot of digital cameras and I honestly prefer the ergonomics and menu system of my Pentaxes. I think Canon is probably the next most intuitive. The Nikon menu system isn't very user-friendly at all.
It was the second time in two years I've been flummoxed trying to help a Nikon user optimize their system. That has to be darn near 20% of the Nikon users who handed me a camera and asked me to take a picture of them and their group. You wear a DSLR, everyone thinks you know something....
08-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #3034
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,617
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
@stevebrot: I tend to exaggerate
Yes, you do.

BTW...this is not exactly a "Pentax video rant" thread, nor is it a "why Pentax is not a sales leader" thread. It exists because people are interested about sightings of other Pentax cameras in the wild. There are occasional deviations (see above posts regarding Nikon controls), but generally not of the "My Pentax SUCKS!" variety. In short, this is sort of a friendly/funny thread.


Steve

---------- Post added 08-10-14 at 08:44 AM ----------



QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
but I did hold something down and scroll the wheel, just the result was not as expected.
This has been my experience as well when handed a Nikon. The buttons are in the same place, but they seldom do the same thing.


Steve


Last edited by stevebrot; 08-10-2014 at 08:48 AM.
08-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #3035
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Scott Depot, WV
Posts: 1,240
Question about EV compensation: on all of my cameras, when using some form of manual settings (which is the majority of the time), I adjust the exposure to show about -.7 below what the meter says is properly exposed. I usually do this by adjusting shutter speed. Any particular advantage/disadvantage vs. menu diving to change the compensation?
08-10-2014, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #3036
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,989
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Question about EV compensation: on all of my cameras, when using some form of manual settings (which is the majority of the time), I adjust the exposure to show about -.7 below what the meter says is properly exposed. I usually do this by adjusting shutter speed. Any particular advantage/disadvantage vs. menu diving to change the compensation?
Well all the Pentax models have an EV (+/-) button, so you just hit it and spin the wheel -- no menu diving. The effect is the same of course -- it is going to adjust the ISO, shutter speed, or aperture depending on what priority mode you are in...
08-10-2014, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #3037
Pentaxian
Tsuken's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,483
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Question about EV compensation: on all of my cameras, when using some form of manual settings (which is the majority of the time), I adjust the exposure to show about -.7 below what the meter says is properly exposed. I usually do this by adjusting shutter speed. Any particular advantage/disadvantage vs. menu diving to change the compensation?

I use old manual lenses almost exclusively. I've taken to not even bothering with the meter anymore, but on the occasions I do use the stop-down metering, I tend to follow up the green button with a couple of whirls on the shutter speed dial - which would be exactly the -0.7 you mention. I find it seems to work fine.
08-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #3038
YQG
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 23
QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
Unfortunately, in Victoria, its all Canon/Nikon/Sony, and the downtown camera store is closed for the weekend.
Kerrisdale is open seven days, if you're willing to head out to Uptown. =)

08-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #3039
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Blue Ridge Escarpment, North Carolina, US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,316
QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
k-500 seen in Vancouver @ Stanley park. I spoke with them, and they stated that they bought the Pentax because they had an old film camera and lenses, and wanted to use the old lenses.
k-50/500 + k7/5/3 spotted in the Cathedral Forest outside of Port Alberni. When I mentioned that there was a Pentaxian, she said... I have 2.
Unfortunately, in Victoria, its all Canon/Nikon/Sony, and the downtown camera store is closed for the weekend.
You didn't see me? The K-3 with the DA40 on the 25th? We walked from the cruise docks over to Stanley Park, bought the freshest berries ever there, continued up to one of the best Thai restaurants ever, stopped by Leo's Camera to eye the new 645Z which they'll be renting and then drifted back down to the water. Everyone at Leo's was extremely friendly and stocked new and used Pentax. Vancouver was wonderful and so easy to walk in.
08-10-2014, 11:13 PM   #3040
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,614
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Yeah, she's using a 3xxx or 5xxx. I used to have a D5200, but I don't remember how the exposure compensation worked. More seriously, I collect and use a lot of digital cameras and I honestly prefer the ergonomics and menu system of my Pentaxes. I think Canon is probably the next most intuitive. The Nikon menu system isn't very user-friendly at all.
Wow. For me Canon is awful... Nikon seems better. Then again I never tried to go deep down into the menus. Pentax usually seems to have the best UI and button placement (and buttons in general). Even the way the buttons feel when pressed seems better (next comes Nikon, then Canon at the bottom).


Actually to me Sony seems to be above Canon and Nikon for their DSLTs, the A7 confuses me though. I think I'd need some time setting it up the way I like it.


@stevebrot: I know, I know. But someone asked why the K-3 wouldn't be good for video, and I wanted to reply to that. Also it seems to me no one finds us in our little video corner, so a bit of exposure to the issues for the general public might not be a bad thing. You know, like, perhaps eventually someone at Pentax will notice it. It seems to me that Pentax just reacts to reviews of some photography sites, i.e. they criticize MJPEG and say h264 would be better, so Pentax provides it. They say audio could be improved, so Pentax does. And I guess someone complained they could, under some odd circumstance, hear some noises of the SR system, so Pentax put in an effort to "fix" that problem, fully unaware of the awful side effects the fix has. Unfortunately most of these reviewers are pretty clueless when it comes to video.
08-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #3041
Forum Member
Photos-by-Chas's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northwest Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 72
Nary a one

Went on a wildlife and glacier cruise out of Seward, Alaska, today. Out of over 100 people on board there were only two Pentax cameras, my two K-x cameras. One couple each had a Canon. He put on a 600 mm lens while she put on a 200 to 400 zoom with a switch to give it a 1.4 aperture. Then they had camoflage covers on the cameras and lenses, then water proof covers over the lens and camera and used tripods, also with camoflage coverings. Many other canikon users and a few Sony users. I noticed one Nikon shooter looking at my cameras as I went out on deck and stopped to tell him "I'm a Pentaxian." He looked sort of startled and ask what I said, so I told him, "I noticed you looking at my cameras, I am a Pentaxian. His reply? "Oh." I am keeping my attention on what others are shooting but trying to be inconspicuous. Hoping to find a couple other Pentaxians during this trip to the North.
08-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #3042
Site Supporter
Cynog Ap Brychan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gloucester
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,091
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Wow. For me Canon is awful... Nikon seems better.
Of course, personal taste is a big factor here. I use Nikon for full-frame, and I hate its menu system. It's really hard for me to find settings that I don't use often. The tabs in both the Pentax and Canon menus I find much more intuitive, but each to his/her own, I guess. It irks me when I see camera reviewers criticise the Pentax menu for being "old-fashioned". It may not look glitzy, but in my humble (OK, not so humble) opinion, its still far and away the best I've used.
08-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #3043
Senior Member
karro's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Riga
Photos: Albums
Posts: 245
I actually just looked up the D7100 on Teh Interwebs, and really, the button is right there, but when I had to find it Right Then(!!) - it apparently hid under other buttons or something.
08-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #3044
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,322
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I noticed one Nikon shooter looking at my cameras as I went out on deck and stopped to tell him "I'm a Pentaxian." He looked sort of startled and ask what I said, so I told him, "I noticed you looking at my cameras, I am a Pentaxian. His reply? "Oh."
Doesn't sound like he shared your enthusiasm. It must have been hard for him afterwards, trying to avoid running into you on a boat!

Looking forward to seeing your pics, Chas, sounds exciting.

Last edited by clackers; 08-11-2014 at 12:36 PM.
08-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #3045
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 505
QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
You didn't see me? The K-3 with the DA40 on the 25th? We walked from the cruise docks over to Stanley Park, bought the freshest berries ever there, continued up to one of the best Thai restaurants ever, stopped by Leo's Camera to eye the new 645Z which they'll be renting and then drifted back down to the water. Everyone at Leo's was extremely friendly and stocked new and used Pentax. Vancouver was wonderful and so easy to walk in.
Unfortunately, I was only in Vancouver on the 30th, and made my way to Tofino/Victoria/Kelowna/Lake Louise/Banff/Coeur D'Alene

---------- Post added 08-11-14 at 10:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Went on a wildlife and glacier cruise out of Seward, Alaska, today. Out of over 100 people on board there were only two Pentax cameras, my two K-x cameras. One couple each had a Canon. He put on a 600 mm lens while she put on a 200 to 400 zoom with a switch to give it a 1.4 aperture. Then they had camoflage covers on the cameras and lenses, then water proof covers over the lens and camera and used tripods, also with camoflage coverings. Many other canikon users and a few Sony users. I noticed one Nikon shooter looking at my cameras as I went out on deck and stopped to tell him "I'm a Pentaxian." He looked sort of startled and ask what I said, so I told him, "I noticed you looking at my cameras, I am a Pentaxian. His reply? "Oh." I am keeping my attention on what others are shooting but trying to be inconspicuous. Hoping to find a couple other Pentaxians during this trip to the North.
I was lucky enough to see a 645D on my trip in the rain. My red k-x and lens fogged up in Tracy Arm, but I was lucky enough to have another Pentaxian lend my his Sigma 120-400mm.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
brand, camera, canon, cell, choice, companies, domination, dslr, eastman, favor, fear, lens, nikon, pentax, people, phone, photography, pm, post, result, scroll, steve, time, tools, water, wheel, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K 28mm/2 (rare ?, value ?) mactansblue Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 28 08-28-2010 09:57 AM
Landscape Rare Precipitation skid2964 Post Your Photos! 8 12-19-2009 08:50 PM
How rare is this lens? raymeedc Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 11-20-2009 02:31 PM
The rare F50mm f/1.4 coqui Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 05-14-2008 06:09 AM
A rare find indeed... !! Marc Langille Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 19 10-31-2007 01:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top