Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #3061
Site Supporter

I was on a trip to the UK and Europe with my university and I ran into one other Pentax shooter in London with a K-7. In Rome I met a man who saw my Kx and said to me with a bewildered look "Pentax?" to which I replied, yes, sir. He then looked at me and smiled then said "Have not seen one in a while. Good camera."

So hey, at least some people appreciate greatness

08-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #3062
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never contributed to this thread but I do have a good find:
(read on the short story below ...)

It happens that the wearer of the Pentax gear (white Kr with the DA 55-300 lens) is my "older" daughter, with my "older" son (the fellow with the denim shirt, and my son in law ... the gentle giant in the middle).
This was at a short trip at the Ile aux Basques, in the middle of the St Lawrence River in Trois-Pistoles, Québec.

This shot was taken with "another" camera since I had only my K5 + DA*300/4.
08-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #3063

Photos: Albums
I met a Pentaxer on the top of Mt.Dana, of all places; he was using an older Pentax IQ film compact - still, this counts!
08-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #3064
Veteran Member

Earlier this year I was on my way back from a Baseball game. We took public transformation and there was a lot of construction going on inside the train tunnels. During various shuffles and switches from one bus to another, I ended up sitting across from an older lady who had a K5( I believe) and a 18-135 hanging off her neck. Other than myself and a friend who I convinced to get a k100, she has been the only Pentaxian I've seen in ~7 years.

08-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #3065

Bumped into an old geezer yesterday who was shooting with a Samsung GX-1L (*ist DL clone). Was happy to see one in use as it was my first DSLR and have never seen anyone else using one.
08-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #3066
Pentaxian

So my father always used Pentax and I decided for pentax independantly at a time I didn't even remember what he had. I convinced 2 friend to buy a Pentax. They liked the incredible quality/price ratio of the K30. One just use the kit lens, the other the kit lens, 1 tripod and 2 manual lenses.

While in Zion I found an old couple with something like 3-4 Pentax bodies, don't remember. 1 at least had 2 body on himself with 1UGA zomm and another zoom. Don't remember the detail it was some time ago !

A friend recently wanted me to confirm that the K30 was a very good camera and offered one to his girlfriend.

Another friend don't know. He was puzzled to see nobody having Pentax and everybody wanting Canikon, but he recognized the qualities of Pentax. Now he want to buy a K3! He is not sure yet and has to wait for the money. We will see.

In the end I know many Pentaxians. I mean for the collegues, friends and familly I know, almost all that have a DSLR have a Pentax (2 have a Nikon).

In the end most of the people I know are engineers. They tend to check the review for a long time before buying and to look for what really offer what they are after. Another collegue is looking after an Olympus m4/3 and was looking for a good lens to fit it. She want to stay light as she we travel for 1 year visiting south America and Asia just with a backpack.

That maybe overall different to many people that don't really check buy something at the nearest store from the advices of the vendor. Not that the gear might not be as great, but there far less chance for they to take Fuji, Pentax, Olympus...

Last edited by Nicolas06; 08-20-2014 at 12:14 PM.
08-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #3067
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've actually seen five or six in the past month or so, and I rarely have in the past. Last week a young guy had (I think) a K-50 with a manual lens. Today I saw a K2000. I work in NYC, so lots of tourists.
08-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #3068
Pentaxian

BuskerFest is going on here this weekend and I was (briefly) out on Friday night.

As expected, mostly Canons and Nikons (plus one person with an Olympus DSLR and one with an old manual focus Minolta 35mm) but I did spot 3 or 4 people with Pentaxes, including one guy who appeared to be shooting video with a K-01 and one of the DA* lenses.

08-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #3069

We are. But it's always a good conversation starter when you do meet another one..."It's not often you meet someone else who shoots Pentax, how'd you get into it?" I've had several interesting and productive conversations starting with that line!
08-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #3070
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
So my father always used Pentax and I decided for pentax independantly at a time I didn't even remember what he had. I convinced 2 friend to buy a Pentax. They liked the incredible quality/price ratio of the K30. One just use the kit lens, the other the kit lens, 1 tripod and 2 manual lenses.

While in Zion I found an old couple with something like 3-4 Pentax bodies, don't remember. 1 at least had 2 body on himself with 1UGA zomm and another zoom. Don't remember the detail it was some time ago !

A friend recently wanted me to confirm that the K30 was a very good camera and offered one to his girlfriend.

Another friend don't know. He was puzzled to see nobody having Pentax and everybody wanting Canikon, but he recognized the qualities of Pentax. Now he want to buy a K3! He is not sure yet and has to wait for the money. We will see.

In the end I know many Pentaxians. I mean for the collegues, friends and familly I know, almost all that have a DSLR have a Pentax (2 have a Nikon).

In the end most of the people I know are engineers. They tend to check the review for a long time before buying and to look for what really offer what they are after. Another collegue is looking after an Olympus m4/3 and was looking for a good lens to fit it. She want to stay light as she we travel for 1 year visiting south America and Asia just with a backpack.

That maybe overall different to many people that don't really check buy something at the nearest store from the advices of the vendor. Not that the gear might not be as great, but there far less chance for they to take Fuji, Pentax, Olympus...
Yes, I agree. People who make informed and well thought out decisions tend to go for Pentax over Canikon. It is usually the impulse buyer who will buy Canikon. I have 2 IT/engineer friends... one had Canon (40D), then moved to Nikon (D7100, he almost went for Pentax were it not for the choice of lenses), one Nikon (a D40 that was on sale...). The Canon/Nikon guy just recently switched to a Sony A7s, being bitterly disappointed what Canon, Nikon and Pentax had to offer (none takes video serious enough), while Panasonic had a too small sensor in the GH4, the other one switched to the Panasonic GH3 a while ago, also after considering Pentax (they didn't have the sort of lenses he wanted, let alone the video quality).

To be honest, I might switch to a Sony A7s too if I could. As great as my K-5 is, the K-3 isn't, and I don't see Pentax moving into a direction I'd like. And if I really wanted a stills only camera, why on earth would I not buy a Fuji?! Pentax is doing a great job offering something that is better than Canikon, too bad though that Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji are even better.
08-24-2014, 11:17 PM   #3071
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji are even better.
Better at what, exactly?
08-25-2014, 12:33 AM   #3072
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Better at what, exactly?
The haptics game? Fuji. Pentax feel great in my hands, and are fun to shoot with. But Fuji cameras are magnitudes better. Such a joy to use. Smaller too. Bigger, clearer viewfinder (obviously). Sony have great ideas and are daring, though their lens line up is limited. The A7 series is pretty nice... I'm not a big fan of their ergonomics perhaps (though give me one and some time with it and the menus to set it up the way I like that might change), and the idea of offering the same camera with different sensors to cater to different user groups is quite brilliant. Keeps cost down probably (just one case has to be produced, the same processor and everything might be used etc.), and you don't have to settle with a compromise that you don't actually want.

Panasonic takes video seriously. Olympus is able to activate shake reduction in video mode, and it has the superior shake reduction in the first place. They both offer cameras that are great for travellers, though the sensors are a bit of a let down. But at least the small sensors lead to small lenses, and they really make use of that advantage, whereas with APS-C cameras the lenses are often not that much smaller and lighter... There's also a great choice of lenses.

Anyway, this should be a yay Pentax thread, not a yay other brands thread. (Oh and btw., if my friend who bought the A7s had bought a Pentax K-5 back then, instead of the Nikon, he might not have bought the A7s. He thought (on paper) the Nikon was better for video, but it wasn't. And the stabilizer would have kept him with Pentax... alas Pentax doesn't have a stabilizer anymore, and now he is practicing with a glidecam-ish rig.

No camera system is perfect, but unless all you really want is a Canikon DSLR that is a bit better at stills (and more rugged and smaller), the other brands have more niche options that cater to the different needs better. IMHO.

Last edited by kadajawi; 08-25-2014 at 12:39 AM.
08-25-2014, 04:58 AM   #3073
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
the idea of offering the same camera with different sensors to cater to different user groups is quite brilliant
For me this is pure marketing and client segmentation. You could sell all the body for 1500€ as they are the same and the sensor is the same (let me explain).

The client that don't want to spend much, you sell him an A7 for 1200€...

The client that want the best resolution you ask 2000€ for the same box with a more pixelized sensor that cost the same to produce (production cost is dependant of sensor size, not number of pixels).

The client that want the best possible high iso, you sell him a sensor with improved photosites that will be available soon in all Sony sensors for all kind of MP but you sell that a premium now and restrict it to 12MP... You gain 1/3 of a stop but restrict it to the slow lenses available in the new Sony mount (f/4 for zoom, one f/2.8 and one f/1.8 prime).

For practical purposes, a €400 APSC body with a €300 f/2.8 tamron zoom will need half the isos for the same deph of field and noise levels.

Anyway that is not really the debate in this thread, but it is just to say that Sony motivations may not be to have 3 sensors to better match they clients. It is more a way to maximize the money they make out their A7 familly of cameras.
08-26-2014, 02:03 AM   #3074
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
For me this is pure marketing and client segmentation. You could sell all the body for 1500€ as they are the same and the sensor is the same (let me explain).

The client that don't want to spend much, you sell him an A7 for 1200€...

The client that want the best resolution you ask 2000€ for the same box with a more pixelized sensor that cost the same to produce (production cost is dependant of sensor size, not number of pixels).

The client that want the best possible high iso, you sell him a sensor with improved photosites that will be available soon in all Sony sensors for all kind of MP but you sell that a premium now and restrict it to 12MP... You gain 1/3 of a stop but restrict it to the slow lenses available in the new Sony mount (f/4 for zoom, one f/2.8 and one f/1.8 prime).

For practical purposes, a €400 APSC body with a €300 f/2.8 tamron zoom will need half the isos for the same deph of field and noise levels.

Anyway that is not really the debate in this thread, but it is just to say that Sony motivations may not be to have 3 sensors to better match they clients. It is more a way to maximize the money they make out their A7 familly of cameras.
No matter what the reason is, offering different sensors in essentially the same camera is brilliant, and a move Pentax could (should?) adopt too. Imagine a K-3 for those who want good high ISO performance... 12 MP. And one for people who are more into resolution... 24 or 36 MP. And if it's 36, then something with 20 MP would slot in nicely for people who want a compromise.

(Also, I doubt the improved photosites are all that turns the A7s into a low light monster... I think it's more the pixel count, though having better photosites would be nice, because that would benefit everyone. And the A7s does have better video capabilities, not all of them coming from the better sensor).
08-26-2014, 05:57 AM   #3075
Pentaxian

It may run contrary to the prevailing theme in this thread, (scarcity) but it seems that down here in Oz we are blessed (?) with the highest concentration of Pentaxians around (perhaps excluding Japan). This seems to be borne out by the numbers on this site and elsewhere.

To give some illustration to my point, today I bought a copy of an Australian camera mag "digital photography" volume 38. Imagine my surprise when, flicking through, I came across a large photo of a stormtroopper K-50. This is surprising enough, given it was not an ad, or a review, but then in the accompanying article, the reader was 'asking the experts' what he should replace his aging K200d with. The answer was the K-50. Bravo!

Flicking further back (it's an old sports fans habit to start browsing from the back pages) I then redoubled my surprise when I cme across some dazzling pictures and an article about the 'tog' Tony Hayward. Each and every image in the 7 page spread was taken with either a K-5 or a K-30. Double delighted.

I buy and read a lot of camera mags and I don't think Ive ever seen a multi page major article about a Pentax shooter.

Maybe this really is the Lucky (Pentax) Country.