Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #301
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
Whole issue for me is Henry's pricing (and don't even go near Vistek unless you won the Super 7) which is sky high. I've purchased all my Pentax equipment from the US online and saved loads vs. Henry's. Even taking into account exchange rate, and taxes if they catch it on import.

As for seeing other Pentax shooters, if I EVER see one in S.Ont. it's going to be like seeing a long lost relative. I'd make a point of saying hello. Would other Pentax shooters share that kind of "fringe" bond? Would anybody else say hello to someone just because they're shooting a Pentax??
I did, last year. I was at the Bar U Ranch National Historic Site in Alberta, Canada, and noticed the lady at the next table in the coffee shop was holding a K10d. She asked about the grip, and tried my camera with her lens, and said she was going to get the grip because the camera seemed so much better balanced with it.

09-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #302

Photos: Gallery
In a professional setting, I've seen maybe two ever: one in a fashion show and another in a movie premiere. In a casual setting, that's a different story. I can vouch that talking to someone who uses a Pentax in a digital sense does give quite a bit of camaraderie, although I do also meet quite a few people who feel nostalgic seeing the brand used like it is.

To be fair, it's been the same way with Sony, which is a shame since I respect the Sony/Minolta brand quite a bit. I can definitely vouch that I've seen far less Olympus models on the field, though. Out of the three, I can probably say I see more Sonys than any of the other three.

I think people don't really mind what brand you choose. Some get curious about image quality and consider it acceptable with my setup (as they take their 7-10fps bursts and I take 2fps). I've only met one person who was a brand snob and she was green to the gills.

Of course, I stick out no matter what since I use a modded bracket flash with a hotshoe and a honking big reflector, so sticking out is something I'm used to anyway.

EDIT: I should add I also was reading one manga and saw this, which gave me a snicker:

Last edited by ddhlee; 09-23-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Throwing in image
09-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #303
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
I wonder what the average IQ or a Pentax user is :P
Just like any other specific group,there are those with above average IQ and those whose IQ is only exceeded by their shoe size.
09-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #304
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
LBA dollars are not a cost - they are an investment.
lol ... tell me about it! Kicking myself for not 'investing' in the Sigma 100-300/4, or Pentax FA 31mm and a few others a number years back before the double whammy of price hikes & weak dollar. :ugh:

09-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #305

In my country (Slovenia-Europe) in 4 years 0 Pentax users Don't know but Nikon and Canon have more sellers and shops in our country there is only one online (and physical) shop with Pentax gear The top seller is Nikon, best support, many shops and gear.
09-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #306
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
Just like any other specific group,there are those with above average IQ and those whose IQ is only exceeded by their shoe size.
I like to compare people to a 100 watt light bulb, some just burn a little brighter than others
09-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #307
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ddhlee Quote
snip......I think people don't really mind what brand you choose. Some get curious about image quality and consider it acceptable with my setup (as they take their 7-10fps bursts and I take 2fps). I've only met one person who was a brand snob and she was green to the gills.
I have only had one person approach me when I have been out shooting, and this was on the CHarles Bridge in Prague. I was photographing the statues of the saints, and he must have been watching the images that were appearing on my LCD. He approached me and asked, "Howcome your pictures are so much better than mine?" I looked and he had a canon, and I had to bite my tongue and explain my approach to taking the shots with severe backlighting, and how I was getting the shots, as opposed to simply responding as I really felt I should, that my shots were better because I use Pentax
09-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #308
Forum Member

I agree with Bob (above) - rarity is nice. There are many non-photographers that haven't even heard of Pentax. When they see me with mine & know I'm a semi-pro, they assume that I know something about Pentax that they don't.

I do.

Pentax cameras are great!

I only know 1 other Pentaxian - my dad! (but there is a great camera shop called Celtic Vision in Narberth (Wales) about 10 miles from where I live that is an official Pentax stockist)

09-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #309
m8o
Veteran Member

One of the funniest things I still get, from actual pros who shoot with Canikon to averages joe's, is they say to me "but didn't Pentax go out of business?" It's happened too many times for it to be attributed to that one person being ignorant. Even one [middle-aged] pro who works part time where my wife works, who has 645 and 6x7 kits and uses them regularly that I'd never call ignorant, said it to me.
09-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #310
Pentaxian

even the media does not know pentax exists

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kellyboy Quote
I agree with Bob (above) - rarity is nice. There are many non-photographers that haven't even heard of Pentax. When they see me with mine & know I'm a semi-pro, they assume that I know something about Pentax that they don't.

I do.

Pentax cameras are great!

I only know 1 other Pentaxian - my dad! (but there is a great camera shop called Celtic Vision in Narberth (Wales) about 10 miles from where I live that is an official Pentax stockist)
forget about photographers who have never heard of pentax.

Just go to Shutterbug magazine's august issue, on page 177 a reader askes if there is any DSLR that meters with T mount lenses, and the editor stated that you can purchase Tmount adaptors for Nikon and canon from adorama but have to meter manually.

I have already sent them a response asking if they have ever heard of pentax. I suggest everyone on the forum do the same because even the media don't know pentax exists
09-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #311
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was out with a Rparmar and JohnK from this forum with the nifty fifty and we walked passed a girl with a white KM or KX... And this in a country where you cannot buy a Pentax DSLR! Rare perhaps, but then so is good taste!
09-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #312
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
LBA dollars are not a cost - they are an investment.
Yes...just like lottery tickets!

Steve
09-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #313
Pentaxian

Saw a European with a K20D I think in Singapore. 2 cousins in Malaysia shoot Pentax. In my town in Germany a newspaper photographer had a Pentax. A friends friend also has a Pentax. In China I saw none, it was even almost impossible to find a shop selling Pentax cameras and accessories. In Finland I met a fellow student who also shot with a Pentax (making it 2 Pentax, 1 Canon and 1 Nikon!). But yeah, you don't see Pentax shooters that often. It's an exclusive club, which I quite like, because if you see another Pentax shooter you might get a friendly nod or smile, I doubt that happens when you own a Canikon.
09-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #314

I felt like I stood out like a sore thumb---

when I shot for the South by Southwest Perez Hilton party. In fact, I got queried by back stage management personnel because I did not look like the typical photo journalist. You can't really blame them. A Pentax camera with a Limited prime lens does look a little unusual in that situation. But I like my photos better than many that were posted from that event. See link below.

Michael
http://http://www.skyoftexas.com/Events

Last edited by skyoftexas; 09-25-2010 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Wrong URL code.
09-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #315

QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
when I shot for the South by Southwest Perez Hilton party. In fact, I got queried by back stage management personnel because I did not look like the typical photo journalist. You can't really blame them. A Pentax camera with a Limited prime lens does look a little unusual in that situation. But I like my photos better than many that were posted from that event. See link below.

Michael
http://http://www.skyoftexas.com/Events
Your link has an extra http: in it making it not work.

Nice picts. You should be proud.