Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #3136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
True Pentaxians, DNGR ... using whisky to self-medicate their chronic angst. :-)
Time to store your DSLR in an oak barrel and age it now

09-11-2014, 07:13 AM   #3137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You were abloe to see?

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
Saw two pentax straps during our distillery tours Monday. Saw one in the gardens on the Glen Grant distillery (didn't see the body), and the other was at Glenfiddich (looked like a k-20 or 200)
I am sure they give you samples, at least at the end of the tour, to try. We can only assume you saw these straps before the taste testing!

This is still on my bucket list!

Regards,

DA
09-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #3138
What'chu lookin at
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
I am sure they give you samples, at least at the end of the tour, to try. We can only assume you saw these straps before the taste testing!

This is still on my bucket list!

Regards,

DA
I saw both after the tastings. I may be oblivious to some things, but I'd never miss the red PENTAX on a black strap, even after partaking in fine spirits!
09-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #3139
Pentaxian

The MediaMarkt in Coruna, Spain has stopped selling Pentax... they do have Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic.

09-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #3140
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The MediaMarkt in Coruna, Spain has stopped selling Pentax... they do have Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic.
Sounds like a pizza place without the pizza
09-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #3141
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
That kind of thing happens all the time with MM. They just want more money from Pentax. If they get it, they will start selling Pentax again.

You have to understand that in MediaMarkt, you have to pay for the right of selling your product. If you don't pay what MM wants, you are out (until you agree to pay again). If you want to be a "premium brand" (all the ILC brands are considered as such), you have to sign national, regional and local agreements every year (and pay MM for each one of those agreements).

For instance, a few years ago MediaMarkt stopped selling Nikon in all Europe for a while because Nikon refused to pay what MM demanded. The same happened with Canon a year later. After a few months, both of them paid.

Being a big company like Canon, Sony or Fuji, you get easy access to bank loans and financing so you can pay what MediaMarkt, FNAC or other big box retailers demand. Being a small local distributor (that being the case with Pentax in Spain), and with the current economic crisis, that's very difficult nowadays.

In fact, during the last years, Reflecta (Pentax local distributor) has laid off a great part of its sales force. Southern Spain has no local sales representatives currently, and I think only one person remains for all northern Spain (Coruna for instance). You can't do much in those conditions.

If Ricoh became the official distributor in Spain the same as happens in France, UK or Germany, financing would be easier and store presence would be way better.
09-19-2014, 01:32 AM   #3142
Pentaxian

Thinking that the only problem that i see with Pentax is marketing, is that really hard for Ricoh to open local stores with their products mean while the brand grows the name and popularity?? is it really that hard for them to open places to sell their own products??

It might have a high cost at the begining but looking at mid and long terms.. the brand is going to grow, more and more people will know their products, and when more people knows their products more businesses will be interested in selling their stuffs... so.. is that impossible to do something like this?

Where i leave there is a store that sells Pentax and their lenses, but i have seen so many people from around the world talking about the same problem, they dont have an store to buy lenses and specially to give them mainteinance or to repair them.. so they go with the other brands... cuz they have local representatives, and they feel "safe"..
09-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #3143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Pentax retail encounter ... sort of.

I walked into Wolf Camera's "flagship" store here in Atlanta and, lo and behold!, there were one or two Pentaxes in the show cases! The pleasant sales guy, noticing my K 5, said "Good gear, but never has sold well in the Southeast." That could be, but I'll bet a large part of it is Pentax's fault! A guy at Showcase, the busiest dealer in Atlanta (I think) said they'd carried Pentax in the past but that the reps stopped coming by. He'd had a 645n in the past, and said it was a super camera. Right on that!

The framing guy at Binder's, an art supply dealer, saw my Pentax strap and inquired. He knew and respected the brand, but bought a Nikon instead. Lack of gear at dealers, perhaps?

Pentax needs to press the flesh with dealers.

09-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #3144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I walked into Wolf Camera's "flagship" store here in Atlanta and, lo and behold!, there were one or two Pentaxes in the show cases! The pleasant sales guy, noticing my K 5, said "Good gear, but never has sold well in the Southeast." That could be, but I'll bet a large part of it is Pentax's fault! A guy at Showcase, the busiest dealer in Atlanta (I think) said they'd carried Pentax in the past but that the reps stopped coming by. He'd had a 645n in the past, and said it was a super camera. Right on that!

The framing guy at Binder's, an art supply dealer, saw my Pentax strap and inquired. He knew and respected the brand, but bought a Nikon instead. Lack of gear at dealers, perhaps?

Is ANYONE at Pentax USA or at Ricoh in Japan listening????????

09-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #3145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Is ANYONE at Pentax USA or at Ricoh in Japan listening????????

People are VERY expensive.

Asahi started dismantling the USA distribution and support network and raising Dealer Minimums and restricting Dealer Financing Terms as early as 1989. It isn't as if they're not paying attention. They're doing this intentionally, and have been doing for a quarter century.

I have a collection of 70's Pentax Dealer tchotchke's from a buddy who went to Canon in 1993).

Really, Pentax started milking the SMC patents in 1973 when they kept the M42 mount for the SP-F (or earlier) instead of introducing the bayonet. Nikon did introduce a bayonet, and AP changed out their entire body and lens inventory - they even molested their Takumar 500/4.5's in-house to Nikon bayonet mount (I once had one).

Where do you think Pentax eyeglasses and medical equipment came from? (Cash flow from licensing SMC).
09-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #3146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
People are VERY expensive.

Asahi started dismantling the USA distribution and support network and raising Dealer Minimums and restricting Dealer Financing Terms as early as 1989. It isn't as if they're not paying attention. They're doing this intentionally, and have been doing for a quarter century.

I have a collection of 70's Pentax Dealer tchotchke's from a buddy who went to Canon in 1993).

Really, Pentax started milking the SMC patents in 1973 when they kept the M42 mount for the SP-F (or earlier) instead of introducing the bayonet. Nikon did introduce a bayonet, and AP changed out their entire body and lens inventory - they even molested their Takumar 500/4.5's in-house to Nikon bayonet mount (I once had one).

Where do you think Pentax eyeglasses and medical equipment came from? (Cash flow from licensing SMC).

I get it.... They're not listening cause nobody's there to hear us cause Hoya fired them all. Another company trying to "cut their way to excellence". Never works... just a slow death. Of course that is what Pentax and Hoya did do but I have some faith that Ricoh really wants to succeed with the Pentax brand but maybe the DSLR segment can't make them enough profit??
09-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #3147
Veteran Member

I've been on holiday in the UK and France for the last few weeks.
I didn't see one single Pentax in theUK or Paris until yesterday.

spied a K100 in Montemarte in the afternoon......
and then today (amazingly?) , there were 3 of us standing in the same store in Eurodisney watching an artisan handmaking glass blown ornaments. (my wife was off browsing for trinkets)

I had my K-5IIs , a young girl with her K-5 and a "serious" Pentaxian with a K-3 gripped and with an O-GPS1 wearing a Pentax branded photo vest too !! - anyone from here maybe ?? - and would they own up to being at euroDisney today.
09-25-2014, 07:05 PM   #3148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
I've been on holiday in the UK and France for the last few weeks.
I didn't see one single Pentax in theUK or Paris until yesterday.

spied a K100 in Montemarte in the afternoon......
and then today (amazingly?) , there were 3 of us standing in the same store in Eurodisney watching an artisan handmaking glass blown ornaments. (my wife was off browsing for trinkets)

I had my K-5IIs , a young girl with her K-5 and a "serious" Pentaxian with a K-3 gripped and with an O-GPS1 wearing a Pentax branded photo vest too !! - anyone from here maybe ?? - and would they own up to being at euroDisney today.
Afraid not......
09-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #3149
Pentaxian

Well, this Pentax user walked right in front of me near the Ponte Degli Scalzi in Venice, today:

He's not been the only one I've seen, in the last two weeks while I've been touring the Greek Islands, including a fellow enthusiast toting a Q7 (complete with 08 lens) who happened to be sitting right next to my wife at a dance exhibition on Crete! He had left the K-3 in his cabin on the cruise ship.

Of course, we're in the minority, but I haven't spotted one Sony A7 or Fujifilm XT-1 so far - tourists with D800s and the like abound, with few of them mounting hoods on their expensive lenses.
09-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #3150
Pentaxian

We went to the circus last weekend, and in the row behind was an Asian family (non-English speaking), the mom had a nice red K-30 shooting away. Now, having seen it, I wish I'd been able to get the red one instead of black, but Oh Well I still love it.

Jim