Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #3181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot for a lowly Pentax ^^^ :-p

10-09-2014, 03:20 AM   #3182
Pentaxian

Last month I was talking with a young colleague who wished to get a dslr. He was admiring the K3 prestige so it was no difficulty selling him the qualities of the k50 which he and his partner now have their heart set on. He goes back to his home town and gets into a camera discussion with his dad who says Pentax like the old classic manual slrs. Friend says yep my friend in Bamaga uses his dslr with a stack of old manual lenses.
His dad says come and check out this box in the garage - "I was going to take it to a second hand store to see what I can get for it... but you can have it".

Film Pentax slr of unknown model with three lenses in the box I am told. It is on its way to Bamaga so will be keen to see what it turns out to be.. No wonder he liked Pentax - he was born into the fold.
10-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #3183
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Last month I was talking with a young colleague who wished to get a dslr. He was admiring the K3 prestige so it was no difficulty selling him the qualities of the k50 which he and his partner now have their heart set on. He goes back to his home town and gets into a camera discussion with his dad who says Pentax like the old classic manual slrs. Friend says yep my friend in Bamaga uses his dslr with a stack of old manual lenses.
His dad says come and check out this box in the garage - "I was going to take it to a second hand store to see what I can get for it... but you can have it".

Film Pentax slr of unknown model with three lenses in the box I am told. It is on its way to Bamaga so will be keen to see what it turns out to be.. No wonder he liked Pentax - he was born into the fold.
See? it's not a choice, it's destiny!
...I know, I "was chosen" too!
10-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #3184
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
A nikon guy today asked about my camera..... first words out of his mouth were "Ive never seen a digital Pentax"
when I was at the Santa Clarita photography club last month and was asked what I shoot and said 'Pentax' - they thought I was shooting medium format until I pulled out my k-30.…. Then they pretty much had the same comment as your Nikon guy.

10-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #3185
Veteran Member

I teach quite often and rarely have a Pentax owner but often find I have to say when I have a k5 running on a big screen via hdmi " oh yes sorry you can't do that can you with that ( insert other brand here) , or ,ok you will have to do so and so to get that on your camera ,or , that feature is not on your camera, or , oh yes you can do that but it's buried in the menu system."

The Pentax menu system is logical and the layout of controls sensible and very well featured which regularly surprises the class members.
10-10-2014, 12:48 AM   #3186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I teach quite often and rarely have a Pentax owner but often find I have to say when I have a k5 running on a big screen via hdmi " oh yes sorry you can't do that can you with that ( insert other brand here) , or ,ok you will have to do so and so to get that on your camera ,or , that feature is not on your camera, or , oh yes you can do that but it's buried in the menu system."

The Pentax menu system is logical and the layout of controls sensible and very well featured which regularly surprises the class members.
Half of that is because they buy the entry level camera... It is equivalent of K3 owner saying he has more feature than K30 or Kx!
10-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #3187

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Half of that is because they buy the entry level camera... It is equivalent of K3 owner saying he has more feature than K30 or Kx!
Yeah! That might be true but being able to brag about these features is priceless.

10-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #3188
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reading this thread lately, it seems there are more instead of less than us than I expected a year or so ago. Seems Ricoh's push had created more Pentaxians looking for other Pentaxians. Great to see increased sightings of K-30's and newer models in the field!
10-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #3189
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

These are scattered anecdotes, not sales figures, Alizarine, but I know what you mean.
10-20-2014, 09:26 PM   #3190

I recently went to a festival at the Morikami Japanese Gardens here in South Florida. Great little festival with lots of things to photograph. I had two cameras my film Pentax ME Super and my K5IIs. Most other photographers were with the usual Canon and Nikon cameras. Then the rest had a sprinkling of Sony, Fuji and a Leica or two.

While I was walking up the steps of the main building at the park, a saw a flash of yellow within the hands of a guy fiddling with his camera on the steps. As my eye wondered towards his direction it was to my surprise that he had a bright yellow K-01. I was following my wife up the stairs, but I threw in a passing compliment on his fine choice of equipment.

We happened to chance another meeting as we darted the grounds. We talked for a few and he told me he was saving up for a K50 for the weather sealing. He was impressed with my ME Super, and I asked about his peculiar Helios lens. Nice conversation and a surprising encounter.
10-21-2014, 04:40 AM   #3191
Pentaxian

At a festival on Sunday in Melbourne and I saw a young man with a K1000. Complimented him on his choice and he said he was collecting M42 Asahi cameras and Takumar lenses as well. He was using a Rikenon on the K1000. Told him to come and join us on the forum.
Spent four days in Melbourne visiting all the sights and that was the only other Pentax I spied amongst all the others but mainly Canon.
10-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #3192

Very rare (or perhaps endangered) in the Middle East or Dubai the least...never met or seen anyone shooting with a Pentax. I was asked a couple of times 'why Pentax' and I hate being in the situation that I had to defend myself. Sad thing, most people (whether they own one or not) think that the best DSLRs come from Canon or Nikon. But, hey I got some nice comments too. People are amazed with my DA 40 and photos taken with it, or the photos taken with my DA 55-300. I just bought FA 77 and I know I still have a lot to learn.
10-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #3193
Veteran Member

I very occasionally see other Pentax shooters. I saw a few colourful ones in Malaysia, a K3 in the Blue Mountains and a couple in my native Germany, but none so far in Scotland. A friend got himself a used K-r on my recommendation and enjoys it.

I'm on the committee of my university's photography society and when we give tutorials for beginners the vast majority uses either Canon and Nikon, with the occasional Olympus or Sony thrown in (haven't spotted a Panasonic or Fuji so far). I occasionally get asked about this weird brand my camera is from, I then just hand my K3 over to them and when it rests in their hand they are usually quite impressed
10-26-2014, 03:40 AM   #3194
Veteran Member

You want to meet other Pentaxian's get yourself do a French Car Day. I saw what was the highest concentration of pentax gear outside of a camera store.

Goes with the quirks of owning French cars maybe :P
10-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #3195
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
You want to meet other Pentaxian's get yourself do a French Car Day. I saw what was the highest concentration of pentax gear outside of a camera store.

Goes with the quirks of owning French cars maybe :P
French cars have no quirks... They are perfect...

Oh and beside, I'am french There not so many Pentax shooters out there, but we do have many french car. American cars model are just not present here... And people would dislike them: too unpractical for our small parkings, road and so own !

When we want something better we go mercedes, BMW, Audi...