Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #3226
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
This has been happening for years. It hasn't resulted in a mass exodus of users five years ago and it won't in the near future.

I'm also active on the largest German DSLR forum and they have a very active section called 'Kaufberatung' (= gear advice) where newbies and more experienced shooters alike can fill in a questionnaire about their photographic preferences, budget etc. and write down a couple of thoughts and other users then give their advice on which gear to get. A fair share of these threads result in the TO ending up with a Pentax, so I guess for everyone who leaves the Pentax system for another FF system at least two newbies get started with Pentax
As a German reader, I'd be interested in a link to the German forum that you mentioned. Thanks!

11-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #3227
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
As a German reader, I'd be interested in a link to the German forum that you mentioned. Thanks!
It's dslr-forum.de - not limited to Pentax though.
11-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #3228
Pentaxian

I'd guess he talks about this. I go there to check the marketplace, PF is rather thin with European offers.
Though, only thing I did buy second hand, was here.

No need to gues you got your answer ☺
11-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #3229
Loyal Site Supporter

It's dslr-forum.de - not limited to Pentax though.
Danke sehr!

11-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #3230
Pentaxian

Danke sehr!
Kein Ding. Die Diskussionskultur ist dort aufgrund der vielen verschiedenen Lager teilweise eine etwas andere als hier im Forum - da kriegen z.B. Nikonesen und Canoniere sich hin und wieder mal in die Haare Ist aber selten, generell ein sehr hilfreiches und gutes Forum.
11-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #3231
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
I'd guess he talks about this. I go there to check the marketplace, PF is rather thin with European offers.
Though, only thing I did buy second hand, was here.

No need to gues you got your answer ☺
Danke gleichfalls!

---------- Post added 11-06-14 at 05:17 PM ----------

Kein Ding. Die Diskussionskultur ist dort aufgrund der vielen verschiedenen Lager teilweise eine etwas andere als hier im Forum - da kriegen z.B. Nikonesen und Canoniere sich hin und wieder mal in die Haare Ist aber selten, generell ein sehr hilfreiches und gutes Forum.
Dahin bin ich gegangen. War nett fast sofort eine Pentaxempfehlung dort zu finden. (Bitte entschuldigen Sie meine Fehler, schreibe ich Deutsch nicht ohne Schwierigkeiten.)
11-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #3232
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Danke gleichfalls!

---------- Post added 11-06-14 at 05:17 PM ----------

Dahin bin ich gegangen. War nett fast sofort eine Pentaxempfehlung dort zu finden. (Bitte entschuldigen Sie meine Fehler, schreibe ich Deutsch nicht ohne Schwierigkeiten.)
This is getting hard to understand!
11-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #3233
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
This is getting hard to understand!
It's alright, we're already done

11-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #3234
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's alright, we're already done
That's German efficiency for you!
11-10-2014, 04:27 AM   #3235
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
That's German efficiency for you!

I bought my first Pentax in their marketplace. And yes, it has helped me find my way to Pentax (was intending to buy a Sigma).

QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
I love the rareness...it's always nice to remember that the 645 medium format is the probably the best camera in the world....(that's a really rare club) just in case your pesty canonikonian gets too loud.......just broke my heart today when my best Pentaxian compatriot informed me he is eyeing the Nikon 750.....
You've probably forgotten Hasselblad and Phase One? And Leica?

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
it's sad but if Pentax doesn't sell FF soon, other Pentaxian might look for CaNikon solution, or even Sony Alpha
Couldn't care less about full frame, but if Pentax doesn't show any effort in improving video soon (even getting back to K-5 levels would be ok!), then I will be leaving Pentax too. Samsung looks really interesting right now, and at least they don't stagnate.

I'm amused that people here only think of Canon and Nikon. Canon doesn't interest me at all. There is nothing they have that could get my attention. Nikon... barely. But Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Samsung? They are the interesting ones.

Last edited by kadajawi; 11-10-2014 at 04:34 AM.
11-10-2014, 05:08 AM   #3236
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Couldn't care less about full frame, but if Pentax doesn't show any effort in improving video soon (even getting back to K-5 levels would be ok!), then I will be leaving Pentax too. Samsung looks really interesting right now, and at least they don't stagnate.

I'm amused that people here only think of Canon and Nikon. Canon doesn't interest me at all. There is nothing they have that could get my attention. Nikon... barely. But Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Samsung? They are the interesting ones.
For me it's quite the other way around. Video? Never use it. I practice photography, not videography. Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, Samsung? Meh. Nothing they offer over what Pentax offers is important to me. The one important thing that I'd like to see improved in Pentax is autofocus. More focus points, better tracking and, most importantly, the death of the abysmal screw-drive in favour of lenses with internal (better for weather sealing), silent and fast focus. I dislike Canon for their lack of innovation and poor sensors and find Nikon to be the most interesting of the bunch - the D810 is a dream camera.

I guess everyone has different preferences
11-10-2014, 05:19 AM   #3237
Pentaxian

Samsung has around 400 focus points, including 200 phase detect focus points spread over 90% of the sensor. That's combined with a very fast processor and a sensor that can be fully read 240 times a second for things like object tracking.
11-10-2014, 05:30 AM   #3238
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Samsung has around 400 focus points, including 200 phase detect focus points spread over 90% of the sensor. That's combined with a very fast processor and a sensor that can be fully read 240 times a second for things like object tracking.

Maybe it's just me but I don't see the benefit of so many focus points, but then I don't shoot action (if you don't count kids) and I use center+recompose most of the time. I don't think I ever used auto focus point selection.
11-10-2014, 05:40 AM   #3239
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Maybe it's just me but I don't see the benefit of so many focus points, but then I don't shoot action (if you don't count kids) and I use center+recompose most of the time. I don't think I ever used auto focus point selection.
I did use the arrow buttons to select AF points a lot on my *istDS, rarely on my K-5. It's just the way it's handled... it's not that much harder, but I simply prefer the *istDS. I also don't use the auto focus point selection, because the selector is too stiff to move. Not sure what Pentax was thinking.

I'd hope you can group the AF points, i.e. use the ones that are near the center, and that the one that is actually used lights up. Guess what I really want is to have smaller AF points, and the ability to see what exactly the camera focused on (the center AF point of my K-5 is so big it's really rather useless, I do center + recompose most of the time, but center is all over the place... I might start to use one of the other points and recompose instead, because they seem to be smaller, I might end up with what I actually want to be in focus).

How I use focus points does change from camera to camera, so I wouldn't be surprised if my behaviour changed with an AF system as employed in the NX1... how well it works etc.
11-10-2014, 05:47 AM   #3240
Pentaxian

Yep, what exactly it focuses on is sometimes a lottery, but as I said I rarely don't have enough time to snap away-chimp-repeat until I get it. Worst case I go manual and bracket focus.
Not that I'd mind a better AF system (or anything), I just don't feel it's a compelling reason for me to upgrade.