Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2014, 05:54 AM   #3241
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Although I see the value in a limited number of circumstances, I rarely use multi-point focusing. Unless I have a particular need single center point is so much more reliable. Some sports and, perhaps, flying birds against a plain sky do benefit from having many points active.

11-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #3242
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Being able to select a focus point away from the centre is an invaluable composition tool. Especially with wildlife but also with landscape, it allows you select part of an image that represents the hyperlocal point. Focusing and reframing, I way too often lift my finger off the button and have to start all over. I use selective focal points far more than I focus and recompose. The being said, I would prefer a smaller number of small focal points located at the intersections of the rule of thirds grid, the current situation with all the points bunched in the middle is a technical anomaly that hopefully will disappear when better technical solutions are forthcoming.

Last edited by normhead; 11-10-2014 at 06:05 AM.
11-10-2014, 06:46 AM   #3243
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Yep, what exactly it focuses on is sometimes a lottery, but as I said I rarely don't have enough time to snap away-chimp-repeat until I get it. Worst case I go manual and bracket focus.
Not that I'd mind a better AF system (or anything), I just don't feel it's a compelling reason for me to upgrade.
Say I take a photo of a few people. Burst to make sure that there is one where no one blinks. Then before I can crimp I need to wait until the photos are saved. After 30 seconds, everyone is still waiting, I zoom in to the photo. Oh, look, it decided to focus on the background, even though a face was dead center when focusing! Apparently the area behind the face was also covered by the sensor.
11-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #3244
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Say I take a photo of a few people. Burst to make sure that there is one where no one blinks. Then before I can crimp I need to wait until the photos are saved. After 30 seconds, everyone is still waiting, I zoom in to the photo. Oh, look, it decided to focus on the background, even though a face was dead center when focusing! Apparently the area behind the face was also covered by the sensor.
I see why this would annoy you, it happened to me a couple of times too, but not lately. I usually look for biggest, most contrasty surface in the plane I want in focus, focus and recompose.
I have more problems with inappropriate shutter speed (too low) when in Av mode so I tend to use TAv when I expect motion blur to be a problem.

11-10-2014, 07:20 AM   #3245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
I see why this would annoy you, it happened to me a couple of times too, but not lately. I usually look for biggest, most contrasty surface in the plane I want in focus, focus and recompose.
I have more problems with inappropriate shutter speed (too low) when in Av mode so I tend to use TAv when I expect motion blur to be a problem.
It wouldn't just annoy me, it also annoys the people I take the photo of. They have to stand there for a minute while my camera is trying to focus on everything but the motive. Often times the most contrast is for example the glasses of someone, so I focus on that, but the camera picks the background instead. I can understand the purpose of a bit larger focusing points... you don't have to point so accurate. By having several, say, 20 small AF points in the center covering the area that is usually covered by the K-5 AF center point, and having each of them be able to light up individually, I could instantly see if the camera has picked the background instead, and focus again. I'd be very happy with that. Besides, by having several AF points it could pick the closest one it can lock on.

Another thing 200/400 AF points on a camera with live view enable is for the camera to focus on exactly the eyes of a motive. And to take a depth map of the whole photo... so it can focus and set aperture exactly so that from front to back everything is in focus. There are many possibilities, some of them surely not yet realized with these new cameras.

@normhead: Why don't you use the AF button to focus? That's what I usually do... focus once, and then shoot as long as the motive doesn't change the distance to the camera without focusing again (especially if I have verified that it is indeed in focus).
11-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #3246
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Although I see the value in a limited number of circumstances, I rarely use multi-point focusing. Unless I have a particular need single center point is so much more reliable. Some sports and, perhaps, flying birds against a plain sky do benefit from having many points active.
I thought the same for quite some time until I realised a very important application of selectable AF points - shooting at wide apertures. Especially with portraits shot at f/2 or wider, the DOF is so shallow that focussing with the centre point and recomposing will move the focus plain away from the intended target (e.g. the subject's eyes), no matter how careful you are.
11-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #3247
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I thought the same for quite some time until I realised a very important application of selectable AF points - shooting at wide apertures. Especially with portraits shot at f/2 or wider, the DOF is so shallow that focussing with the centre point and recomposing will move the focus plain away from the intended target (e.g. the subject's eyes), no matter how careful you are.
I use selectable all the time (and on the Fuji XE2 you can adjust the size of the focal zone as well)

11-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #3248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At a model contest this past weekend I was talking to a lovely older couple (older than me anyway) and explaining the merits and drawbacks of one kit I entered. I noticed and commented on their Pentax, it was an X5. They use K30s as well, but the X5 does better at close subjects. They also take it places they'd be worried about camera theft, no one seems to notice it. Compact lenses on their K30s also don't get as much attention as the huge zooms from the competition. We had a nice little conversation - though I neglected to bring my camera...
11-10-2014, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #3249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
X
Just noticed that we live in the same city - in different countries
11-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #3250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ours was named by one of the founders of our town, after his hometown.

http://www.eastdundee.net/?page=history
11-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #3251
Forum Member

A couple of years ago I was photographing the new year fireworks at our capital city. I was minding my own business in the crowd when one guy behind me was addressing me: "Hey.... hey... are you taking photographs?". Well yeah, that was the general idea, but before I could answer, he added: "It's just that many folks use their cameras these days to take videos, including myself." Guy tried to convince me, that shooting video on a DSLR is THE thing now.

At one point though, he looked at my camera: "Oh, and you too shoot with Nikon?"
Me: "No, that's not a Nikon"
He: "What is it then? I saw the yellow band on the lens barrel..."
Me: "The lens is a Samyang 85mm prime, the camera is a Pentax"
And with a voice that reflected disgust, puzzling, interest and surprise - all at the same time: "WHY PENTAX?!"

I just laughed him off and resumed taking photos, you can't explain yourself to these kind of people.
11-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #3252
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rRnt Quote
A couple of years ago I was photographing the new year fireworks at our capital city. I was minding my own business in the crowd when one guy behind me was addressing me: "Hey.... hey... are you taking photographs?". Well yeah, that was the general idea, but before I could answer, he added: "It's just that many folks use their cameras these days to take videos, including myself." Guy tried to convince me, that shooting video on a DSLR is THE thing now.

At one point though, he looked at my camera: "Oh, and you too shoot with Nikon?"
Me: "No, that's not a Nikon"
He: "What is it then? I saw the yellow band on the lens barrel..."
Me: "The lens is a Samyang 85mm prime, the camera is a Pentax"
And with a voice that reflected disgust, puzzling, interest and surprise - all at the same time: "WHY PENTAX?!"

I just laughed him off and resumed taking photos, you can't explain yourself to these kind of people.
Oh, you can try. I have retorted with: "It's one of the best DSLRs - but it's a secret. - Don't tell anyone."
11-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #3253
Forum Member

I found out not too long ago that a teacher I know has a Pentax ME super and 50mm f/2 and f/1.4 lenses. His girlfriend also keeps a near mint ME Super with a 50mm f/2. They both love the cameras and he's told me that at the time of purchase Pentax was perceived as the best brand for SLRs. I was surprised to know that the brand was sold alongside Canon and Nikon in Mexico until the mid 90's. He's a Nikon FF user now. Tragic story, I know.
11-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #3254
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axelm7 Quote
I found out not too long ago that a teacher I know has a Pentax ME super and 50mm f/2 and f/1.4 lenses. His girlfriend also keeps a near mint ME Super with a 50mm f/2. They both love the cameras and he's told me that at the time of purchase Pentax was perceived as the best brand for SLRs. I was surprised to know that the brand was sold alongside Canon and Nikon in Mexico until the mid 90's. He's a Nikon FF user now. Tragic story, I know.
Pentax has a proud history. Sadly, under Hoya, the brand went downhill, although the products remained good.
11-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #3255
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Pentax has a proud history. Sadly, under Hoya, the brand went downhill, although the products remained good.
I think their biggest mistake was forgetting about marketing/ads altogether. It's non-existent, even in Japan where they have a more significant share of the market.