Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #316
Inactive Account

If you want to find Pentax in a store then go to Bo Ai road in Taipei. This street is packed with camera stores of which many stock Pentax. They don't just stock Pentax bodies. They stock they whole line of production Pentax lenses including the full line of FA Limiteds. They even sold the Pentax official K-7 replacement focus screens!

Oddly though, in my whole time in Taiwan, I didn't see a single person holding a Pentax.

09-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #317
Forum Member

I was in Marrakesh last year and in a very busy street just of the main square spotted a young couple with a K200D. I asked them if they would take a pic of the two of us on my K20D and I reciprocated. Then a few months later I was back in Marrakesh and out of the hundreds of cafes I chose one and then after sitting down I realised that the man next to me had a K20D too! I took a pic on his camera of them (bizarrely he had it set to 3200ISO!!!). You do get a buzz when you see a fellow Pentaxian.

A couple of months ago I was in Seville in Spain with my brother (he has a K200D) and we got chatting to a K100D user. He tried out some of our lenses.
09-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #318
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by atomiccow Quote
If you want to find Pentax in a store then go to Bo Ai road in Taipei. This street is packed with camera stores of which many stock Pentax. They don't just stock Pentax bodies. They stock they whole line of production Pentax lenses including the full line of FA Limiteds. They even sold the Pentax official K-7 replacement focus screens!

Oddly though, in my whole time in Taiwan, I didn't see a single person holding a Pentax.
are they any cheaper there? if they are, I might just call my cousin there and buy me one.
09-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #319
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
are they any cheaper there? if they are, I might just call my cousin there and buy me one.
No they're not. lol. You'll find better prices online.

09-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #320
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atomiccow Quote
No they're not. lol. You'll find better prices online.
oh bummer.
09-25-2010, 05:36 AM   #321

Oops!

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Your link has an extra http: in it making it not work.

Nice picts. You should be proud.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Sorry for the fumble. And thank you for the compliment.
09-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #322
Inactive Account

I was at a half mile yardsale today hunting down lenses (which I found a Sigma 28mm 2.8 lens for 8$ and also a SMC Pentax 50mm 1.7 autofocus lens for 4$!!!) and saw an older gentleman carrying a Pentax. I walked up to him and shook his hand. first time in public spotting a person carrying a pentax. We chatted for a good while. nice man

09-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #323
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
As for seeing other Pentax shooters, if I EVER see one in S.Ont. it's going to be like seeing a long lost relative. I'd make a point of saying hello. Would other Pentax shooters share that kind of "fringe" bond? Would anybody else say hello to someone just because they're shooting a Pentax??
Probably! But I usually say hello to anyone who seems like 'photo people' under circumstances when it's remotely-appropriate. (Appropriate, perhaps meaning, 'Appearing to be interested in photography-and-not-too-busy') I actually consider it a fringe benefit of using this stuff: sometimes the brand tends to make a good ice-breaker, people will ask you about it, especially if they know the name from film and stuff. Ready way to strike up a conversation, and all.

It can be kind of the fun part. It seems the Internet gets all brand-adversarial, but it's less so in person, at least among people you actually meet. People you don't meet, who knows why.

As for the average Pentaxian IQ, we may actually beat the spread: people don't *usually* make the unusual choice without thinking about it a lot in at least in *some* way. There may be other intelligent choices for many to make, (and big IQ is no proof against being *wrong,* of course,) but I can't think of too many particularly *stupid* reasons to go with Pentax. There could even be some kind of comic genius about putting a purple and orange K-x behind like four grand worth of long FA* and giggling madly while taking family snaps.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-25-2010 at 08:30 PM.
09-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #324
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
As for seeing other Pentax shooters, if I EVER see one in S.Ont. it's going to be like seeing a long lost relative. I'd make a point of saying hello. Would other Pentax shooters share that kind of "fringe" bond? Would anybody else say hello to someone just because they're shooting a Pentax??
exactly what I did today...
09-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #325
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In the last ten years I've only met one other Pentax user. While on vacation last June I offered to take a picture for a couple up in Glacier National Park. I was surprised to be handed a camera identical to the mine.
09-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #326
Veteran Member

I took my son down to the lagoon this morning and there was a group taking shots with telephotos. I walked down and asked if they were a part of a club (hoping I could find some group in this small town that I could learn from.) They were very friendly and were more than welcoming. They asked what I shoot and I said Pentax. They awkwardly said they shoot 600 plus. I asked if I could bring my 1200. Apparently they thought it was a joke.....

There have been many time here on the west coast that Pentax has had a large presence. just not this time.
09-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #327
m8o
Veteran Member

-
- Do TCs count towards the focal length in that club?
-
09-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #328
Veteran Member

I had to look up TCs... I've been hording Pentax glass since 1981...that question makes me look old...
09-26-2010, 12:44 AM   #329
Forum Member

I was at Moorolbark Miniature Railway today (Melbourne outer East) with my family and I saw one Nikon one Canon and one Pentax DSLR (as well as my own). I stopped and said hi to the chap with the Pentax - he was a little bewildered I think as to why I was saying hi but nevertheless - obviously doesn't read this thread! Was a lovely sunny day though and everyone was in good spirits!
09-26-2010, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #330
Veteran Member

Out of just over a dozen members in our club I was the only Pentax owner, now a quarter of the members are Pentaxians, the main reason - ease of use.

Last year we covered HDR, as you know we can set up 3 bracketed frames 2 stops apart in seconds on our K10D's, watching the Canikon's having to delve into menu's to set number of frames, variation in frames and finally to turn the function on, 3 separate menu locations!! I'm not talking entry level, I'm talking Canon 5D and even 1D. One of the Nikon guy's with a new entry level couldn't even do it the function wasn't available!!

I realize that post's such as this are against Pentax sales policy which is SHHHSH, don't tell anybody, they'll all want one!!!

Chris