Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #3286
Veteran Member

TWiT 479. 1:17:20 or so, you'll see a Pentax. In gold. With pink accents.

11-15-2014, 09:42 PM   #3287
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
TWiT 479. 1:17:20 or so, you'll see a Pentax. In gold. With pink accents.
This Week in Tech 479: I Love Saggy Pants - YouTube
Wasn't this the one where Dvorak was urging Leo to buy a 645Z?
11-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #3288
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Wasn't this the one where Dvorak was urging Leo to buy a 645Z?
Yup.
11-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #3289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Around my district and over the past year I have seen one Pentaxian in the wild.

11-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #3290
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been thinking about this and i guess I do not remember seeing another Pentax anytime recently outside of Pictures or stores. Of course I tend to do my photography away from crowds.
11-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #3291
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I asked because steve said changing focal length is very easy on a K-3
The K-3 provides a list of the most recent choices so that you can pick/choose rather than having to scroll through the entire list of 34+ possibilities.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-16-14 at 10:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
You all need to visit the page one and re-read, IMHO
I agree. For some reason there is a tendency on the forum as of late to turn all threads, regardless of theme into a "Pentax is dumb/sucks and here is why". The same assertions are made as in numerous other threads and the same rebuttals follow. What was once limited to the video, FF, and rumors areas is now found throughout the site. About the only safe harbors are the threads dealing with vintage gear.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-16-14 at 10:43 AM ----------

There are a bunch of Pentax users here in the Portland area and several are on this forum, but we stay pretty well hidden.

Steve
11-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #3292
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I agree. For some reason there is a tendency on the forum as of late to turn all threads, regardless of theme into a "Pentax is dumb/sucks and here is why". The same assertions are made as in numerous other threads and the same rebuttals follow.
Hi Steve. This has been bugging me too. I wish there was a way to stop the needless 'Pentax is doomed' posts that keep re-occuring. It's a different matter if someone has a real complaint with broken gear or bad service, but the pointless negativity gets me down.

11-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #3293
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What do those have in common?

They are better for video. :P

What did they give as reason?
70D better lenses........

The other 2 popularity and easier to handle......
11-17-2014, 12:42 AM   #3294
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hi Steve. This has been bugging me too. I wish there was a way to stop the needless 'Pentax is doomed' posts that keep re-occuring. It's a different matter if someone has a real complaint with broken gear or bad service, but the pointless negativity gets me down.

Actually I don't think it's so bad here. Tendency to whine is very human; the tone of most boards I've participated in tends to settle either in self-pity or cynical twitterism.
11-17-2014, 03:44 AM   #3295
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
70D better lenses........

The other 2 popularity and easier to handle......
Hm. Easier to handle than a Pentax? That is possible?! No seriously, IMHO if there is one advantage to Pentax it is handling...

On topic... I haven't seen a Pentax in half a year or so, apart from in shops. They seem to be either much more successful in Malaysia than in Spain or on the decline.

Pentax is doomed. :P
11-17-2014, 05:48 AM   #3296
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Lots of Pentax shooters in Toronto so i see them regularly
You might see another one in the Spring. My son has moved to Toronto, and I'll be visiting then.
11-17-2014, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #3297
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
You might see another one in the Spring. My son has moved to Toronto, and I'll be visiting then.
The British equivalent of spring here falls about late may
When the official start of spring hits we are still getting snow
Hope you enjoy your visit
11-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #3298
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
The British equivalent of spring here falls about late may
Late May it is then! I'm not coming out of a British winter and heading into a Canadian one - no sir!
11-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #3299
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Late May it is then! I'm not coming out of a British winter and heading into a Canadian one - no sir!
Proper Canadian winters are much nicer than the British ones though - loads of snow and sun instead of cold rain and temperatures just slightly above 0ºC.
11-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #3300

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I've read the "pros dissing Pentax" thread and had a bit of a laugh. I shot high-end Canon for 30 years in my film days but am at a more laidback place now during semi-retirement. For the switch to DSLR, I couldn't justify the expense - particularly for good glass - that Canon entailed and went with Pentax. I am very happy with that choice despite the occasional sneer from my former Canon compatriots.

Now, my topic. During the recent Worldwide Photo Walk, I joined 40+ area photographers for a fun day of shooting followed by a group lunch and wrap-up. In that group, I saw exactly zero Pentax DSLRs - aside from my own. I found myself "justifying" my choice not to go with Canikon during good natured discussions. Not so much distain but more "why in the world would a serious photographer NOT buy Canikon??"

Are we really that sparse out in the world?
In our photo club of about 90 members, there are 3 of us, we all continue because of legacy glass, pride, obstinacy, loyalty and general pigheadedness, not to mention cost, ease of use and customer satisfaction. The perpetual Can/Nik-owner wars do take the odd jab at the poor little Sony users now and then, but we seem to be mostly forgotten now, and just get on with taking our best shots. When we show our work it can gets raised eyebrows and remarks about how unexpectedly good the image resolution is....