Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #3301

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I've read the "pros dissing Pentax" thread and had a bit of a laugh. I shot high-end Canon for 30 years in my film days but am at a more laidback place now during semi-retirement. For the switch to DSLR, I couldn't justify the expense - particularly for good glass - that Canon entailed and went with Pentax. I am very happy with that choice despite the occasional sneer from my former Canon compatriots.

Now, my topic. During the recent Worldwide Photo Walk, I joined 40+ area photographers for a fun day of shooting followed by a group lunch and wrap-up. In that group, I saw exactly zero Pentax DSLRs - aside from my own. I found myself "justifying" my choice not to go with Canikon during good natured discussions. Not so much distain but more "why in the world would a serious photographer NOT buy Canikon??"

Are we really that sparse out in the world?
In our photo club of about 90 members, there are 3 of us, we all continue because of legacy glass, pride, obstinacy, loyalty and general pigheadedness, not to mention cost, ease of use and customer satisfaction. The perpetual Can/Nik-owner wars do take the odd jab at the poor little Sony users now and then, but we seem to be mostly forgotten now, and just get on with taking our best shots. When we show our work it can gets raised eyebrows and remarks about how unexpectedly good the image resolution is....

11-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #3302
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Proper Canadian winters are much nicer than the British ones though - loads of snow and sun instead of cold rain and temperatures just slightly above 0C.
I lived in London for a winter I can assure you English winters are nicer if you are in a city. In the countryside I would agree our winters are nicer (at least when there are the bright blue skies or a good Blizzard.....)
11-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #3303

Photos: Albums
Spottet a girl with a black K-50 on a tripod in Berlin, during the 25 year anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.

In comparison to my new Fuji X-A1 (as an every day carry around camera) I really like my K-5 because of its higher build quality and reliability, so Ill add more lenses to the Pentax system.
11-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #3304
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by universalfocus Quote
Spottet a girl with a black K-50 on a tripod in Berlin, during the 25 year anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.

In comparison to my new Fuji X-A1 (as an every day carry around camera) I really like my K-5 because of its higher build quality and reliability, so Ill add more lenses to the Pentax system.
I can see that, the XA1 is a great buy but it's definitely an entry level piece build wise. The XE2 is well built but no WR. The XT1 has WR but only a couple of lenses are WR both zooms right now - a lot of people have compared using the XT1 to the LX 1 I can totally see it from when I was shopping. In fact I would consider it instead of an upgrade in the k body (maybe I canvince4 my wife she wants it....nah not likely

11-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #3305
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Hm. Easier to handle than a Pentax? That is possible?! No seriously, IMHO if there is one advantage to Pentax it is handling...

Pentax is doomed. :P
I mean the auto is somewhat better...... Never could figure that out.....
11-17-2014, 06:41 PM   #3306

My favorite camera shop started carrying Pentax last year. I stopped by there this last weekend while they were setting up for their big 'demo days' this weekend. There were already a couple of advertising banners set up for Pentax cameras.

I've been noticing more advertising as well.

I'm hoping this means that we may become less rare here in the US
11-18-2014, 05:46 AM   #3307
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drugal Quote
My favorite camera shop started carrying Pentax last year. I stopped by there this last weekend while they were setting up for their big 'demo days' this weekend. There were already a couple of advertising banners set up for Pentax cameras.

I've been noticing more advertising as well.

I'm hoping this means that we may become less rare here in the US
Good news! And, my gosh, a message on the topic of the thread!
11-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #3308

I was baffled when I saw 5 Pentax and 1 Nikon DSLRs at my cousin's wedding last year.

The wedding photographer used a 5D MkI though...

11-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #3309
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeko Quote
I was baffled when I saw 5 Pentax and 1 Nikon DSLRs at my cousin's wedding last year.

The wedding photographer used a 5D MkI though...
Never seen a Wedding pro use a Pentax
11-19-2014, 12:58 AM   #3310

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
I know several of them ...
11-19-2014, 04:45 AM   #3311
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
I have seen one wedding company use Pentax... guess they don't offer video (or with a K-5, which is wonderful for that use). The others are Canikon though, with one or two of the team gathering video with a DSLR on a rig (old Pentaxes didn't need that rig...).
11-20-2014, 12:46 AM   #3312
Pentaxian

I used till June this year Pentax for over 200 weddings. I have stopped doing weddings because of the stupidly low frees offered by some.
11-23-2014, 01:47 AM   #3313
Pentaxian

I met a guy with Pentax camera few weeks ago during a Sunday walk along a nearby river.
He said - obviously with foreign accent - that he had bought both the Pentax camera and lens in a secondhand store in Prague.

Counting his, mine and my wife's camera, I guess it was topmost Pentax concentration in entire district.
11-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #3314
Loyal Site Supporter

I continue to be fascinated by this thread. We all know how wonderful Pentax cameras and lenses are. Older photographers remember how innovative and excellent Pentax film cameras were for decades. All Ricoh has to do is figure out how to better market their current products by using the still available historic reputation of Pentax photographic equipment. Nostalgia alone won't do it but perhaps it could be leveraged into a productive campaign.
11-23-2014, 10:29 AM - 2 Likes   #3315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I continue to be fascinated by this thread. We all know how wonderful Pentax cameras and lenses are. Older photographers remember how innovative and excellent Pentax film cameras were for decades. All Ricoh has to do is figure out how to better market their current products by using the still available historic reputation of Pentax photographic equipment. Nostalgia alone won't do it but perhaps it could be leveraged into a productive campaign.
How do you advertise good haptics, ergonomics and build quality if you aren't available in stores? Pentax cameras need to be touched and tried out.

Features that could convince regular people and that can be advertised... well... a video mode with stabilisation :P The positive effect can be easily demonstrated, and it makes video more useful for normal people. Otherwise most cameras are pretty similar. Pentax is a bit smaller and weather resistant.

So basically... some adventurer type of person goes hiking, mountain climbing, something rough in the nature basically, takes out his camera, which is a nice, compact K-3, so it fits in a ridiculously small bag (well, sort of). Ad says: Compact and light for a tough semi-pro/pro body. It's raining, he doesn't give a f***. Just turns around the lens hood to keep too much water from the front element of the lens. Ad says: Water resistant and tough. Takes some stills, which are blended in and look good. Then he flicks a switch to video mode, and shoots a video handheld while walking. The video he shoots is shown, relatively stable. Ad says: Mechanical stills and video stabilisation, for smooth videos and good low light stills. On any lens. Side by side a video of the same scene is shown, one with, one without stabilisation. Pentax K-3. Same ad could be made for a K-50. If it's shown in a market where you can thrash competitors, you could show other photogs hiding from the rain, you could show them carrying big bags and comically large cameras, and shaken videos taken with those cameras, ...

Another ad could show someone in the 70s taking photos of a kid with a Pentax, then putting the camera and lenses into a nice place. Cut 40 years to now, same place, the child from the previous segment takes a new Pentax mounts those old lenses and uses them. Ad says full compatibility, including shake reduction.

Last edited by kadajawi; 11-23-2014 at 10:44 AM.