Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #3316
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,655
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
How do you advertise good haptics, ergonomics and build quality if you aren't available in stores? Pentax cameras need to be touched and tried out.

Features that could convince regular people and that can be advertised... well... a video mode with stabilisation :P The positive effect can be easily demonstrated, and it makes video more useful for normal people. Otherwise most cameras are pretty similar. Pentax is a bit smaller and weather resistant.
Marketing means availability in stores but also product placement in movies and TV, generating buzz in social media. Doing non-photography things to make the name familiar etc etc. Commission a chuckling or car race movie build around how cool Pentax is ANYTHING!

11-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #3317
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,651
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Marketing means availability in stores but also product placement in movies and TV, generating buzz in social media. Doing non-photography things to make the name familiar etc etc. Commission a chuckling or car race movie build around how cool Pentax is ANYTHING!
To be honest I'd rather have them do things around photography to make the brand more known/show it's still alive. Their budget seems rather... limited, so sponsoring a F1 team may be a bit excessive (though there is one for sale now...).

Perhaps product placement (CSI, exclusive users of Pentax cameras...). But that costs, and it still doesn't tell people why they should use Pentax.

TV ads (for all their products, including the 645Z, to show it's a proper photography company that deals in the high end segment too), ads on YouTube, in photography magazines etc., ... I'd be going in that direction.
11-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #3318
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,655
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
To be honest I'd rather have them do things around photography to make the brand more known/show it's still alive. Their budget seems rather... limited, so sponsoring a F1 team may be a bit excessive (though there is one for sale now...).

Perhaps product placement (CSI, exclusive users of Pentax cameras...). But that costs, and it still doesn't tell people why they should use Pentax.

TV ads (for all their products, including the 645Z, to show it's a proper photography company that deals in the high end segment too), ads on YouTube, in photography magazines etc., ... I'd be going in that direction.
None of us have any idea what Ricoh can and cannot do but the only hope of real growth in awareness is new thinking and efforts to create widespread brand recognition.
11-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #3319
Pentaxian
zzeitg's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South Bohemia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,612
just grotesque experience from the biggest photo store in Prague... Once you enter the shop, you are caught by young Canon representatives, which try to give you advices and guidance. Next Canon guys are running around the store and try to talk to you no matter that it's quite obvious that you're standing in front of the Pentax display case. I think there were about 6 Canon "consultants" inside this shop.


That's how a really aggresive marketing looks like. Sad is that it really might work - if you're not (yet) so deep into photography and you search for kind of help, they capture you before you even have time to look round.


(to be equitable, there were also 2 guys from Nikon - but by no means half that "pushing"...)

11-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #3320
Site Supporter
grhazelton's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro, GA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,829
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
just grotesque experience from the biggest photo store in Prague... Once you enter the shop, you are caught by young Canon representatives, which try to give you advice and guidance. Next Canon guys are running around the store and try to talk to you no matter that it's quite obvious that you're standing in front of the Pentax display case. I think there were about 6 Canon "consultants" inside this shop.


That's how a really aggressive marketing looks like. Sad is that it really might work - if you're not (yet) so deep into photography and you search for kind of help, they capture you before you even have time to look round.


(to be equitable, there were also 2 guys from Nikon - but by no means half that "pushing"...)
And I'm certain the Canon guys were totally objective and fully versed on the pros and cons of not just Canon, but also Nikon, Olympus, Sony, and dare we imagine? Pentax?? But wait! I'm dreaming....

The whole experience sounds like a caricature of a used car lot.
11-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #3321
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 282
Two (out of about 4 or five) of the best and most well respected studios here where I live have started using 645Z's for their in-studio work. Still using Canikon for their field work though. This is something I see becoming a booming trend for Pentax. As a tax deductible business expense, it's not that much more of an investment over a Nikon D4s or Canon 1D when you consider the huge improvement to image quality, especially for portrait work.
11-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #3322
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 23
I don't know if this counts, but, I convinced a friend to purchase a Pentax/Ricoh WG-20 last week. She is going to Disney World in a couple of months and wanted a nice camera to take with her. Of course her friends all recommended the Canikony bridge cameras. I told her they were too bulky and not splash proof so she should check out the WG line. Shazzam!! She feel in love and bought one!
11-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #3323
Moderator
Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,532
QuoteOriginally posted by Silvertooth Quote
I don't know if this counts, but, I convinced a friend to purchase a Pentax/Ricoh WG-20 last week. She is going to Disney World in a couple of months and wanted a nice camera to take with her. Of course her friends all recommended the Canikony bridge cameras. I told her they were too bulky and not splash proof so she should check out the WG line. Shazzam!! She feel in love and bought one!
Good one! I likewise convinced a fried who's into hiking in all kinds of adverse weather. He's sticking with his Nikon on the DSLR side though.

11-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #3324
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 23
My daughter asked me to show her how to work a "real" camera over the Thanksgiving Break. She wants to learn black and white film processing. I gave her the choice of using a Minolta SRT-102, Minolta X-700, Nikon N60, Pentax K1000, or a Pentax ME-Super. She picked the K1000. Makes a father proud. She said it was simple to use and comfortable in hand. Hard to argue with that logic. I will be using my all time favorite, the ME-Super. I may try to work a deal in the near future to divest all of the Minolta and Nikon (including digital) gear for either a K-50 or K-3 and a couple of good lenses. I have talked about it for a while, but I think the time may be right.
11-24-2014, 04:49 PM   #3325
Pentaxian
Tsuken's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,483
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
How do you advertise good haptics, ergonomics and build quality if you aren't available in stores? Pentax cameras need to be touched and tried out.

Features that could convince regular people and that can be advertised... well... a video mode with stabilisation :P The positive effect can be easily demonstrated, and it makes video more useful for normal people. Otherwise most cameras are pretty similar. Pentax is a bit smaller and weather resistant.

So basically... some adventurer type of person goes hiking, mountain climbing, something rough in the nature basically, takes out his camera, which is a nice, compact K-3, so it fits in a ridiculously small bag (well, sort of). Ad says: Compact and light for a tough semi-pro/pro body. It's raining, he doesn't give a f***. Just turns around the lens hood to keep too much water from the front element of the lens. Ad says: Water resistant and tough. Takes some stills, which are blended in and look good. Then he flicks a switch to video mode, and shoots a video handheld while walking. The video he shoots is shown, relatively stable. Ad says: Mechanical stills and video stabilisation, for smooth videos and good low light stills. On any lens. Side by side a video of the same scene is shown, one with, one without stabilisation. Pentax K-3. Same ad could be made for a K-50. If it's shown in a market where you can thrash competitors, you could show other photogs hiding from the rain, you could show them carrying big bags and comically large cameras, and shaken videos taken with those cameras, ...

Another ad could show someone in the 70s taking photos of a kid with a Pentax, then putting the camera and lenses into a nice place. Cut 40 years to now, same place, the child from the previous segment takes a new Pentax mounts those old lenses and uses them. Ad says full compatibility, including shake reduction.

I like those ideas
11-25-2014, 02:57 AM   #3326
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,593
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
How do you advertise good haptics, ergonomics and build quality if you aren't available in stores? Pentax cameras need to be touched and tried out.

Features that could convince regular people and that can be advertised... well... a video mode with stabilisation :P The positive effect can be easily demonstrated, and it makes video more useful for normal people. Otherwise most cameras are pretty similar. Pentax is a bit smaller and weather resistant.

So basically... some adventurer type of person goes hiking, mountain climbing, something rough in the nature basically, takes out his camera, which is a nice, compact K-3, so it fits in a ridiculously small bag (well, sort of). Ad says: Compact and light for a tough semi-pro/pro body. It's raining, he doesn't give a f***. Just turns around the lens hood to keep too much water from the front element of the lens. Ad says: Water resistant and tough. Takes some stills, which are blended in and look good. Then he flicks a switch to video mode, and shoots a video handheld while walking. The video he shoots is shown, relatively stable. Ad says: Mechanical stills and video stabilisation, for smooth videos and good low light stills. On any lens. Side by side a video of the same scene is shown, one with, one without stabilisation. Pentax K-3. Same ad could be made for a K-50. If it's shown in a market where you can thrash competitors, you could show other photogs hiding from the rain, you could show them carrying big bags and comically large cameras, and shaken videos taken with those cameras, ...

Another ad could show someone in the 70s taking photos of a kid with a Pentax, then putting the camera and lenses into a nice place. Cut 40 years to now, same place, the child from the previous segment takes a new Pentax mounts those old lenses and uses them. Ad says full compatibility, including shake reduction.
Please email that post to a Ricoh rep...
11-25-2014, 03:36 AM   #3327
Pentaxian
FantasticMrFox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,119
They have actually done something like this before, and it's a pretty decent video:


I think they're just not very good at social marketing, 7,600 views is not exactly a big success for a video like this.

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
If it's shown in a market where you can thrash competitors, you could show other photogs hiding from the rain, you could show them carrying big bags and comically large cameras, and shaken videos taken with those cameras ...
And the names on these cameras would read 'Nanon' and 'Cikon'

QuoteQuote:
Another ad could show someone in the 70s taking photos of a kid with a Pentax, then putting the camera and lenses into a nice place. Cut 40 years to now, same place, the child from the previous segment takes a new Pentax mounts those old lenses and uses them. Ad says full compatibility, including shake reduction.
Now THAT is something I've never thought of - great idea.
11-25-2014, 03:44 AM   #3328
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,593
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
They have actually done something like this before, and it's a pretty decent video:

*snip*

I think they're just not very good at social marketing, 7,600 views is not exactly a big success for a video like this.
Well, rope walking like a little too niche to me...
11-25-2014, 04:04 AM   #3329
Pentaxian
FantasticMrFox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,119
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Well, rope walking like a little too niche to me...
I think the point is more the 'climbing in the mountains', 'being active outdoors' thing instead of the specific activity shown. Obviously one could make a better ad that features a better narrator, some rain or snow to show off the WR etc. Just have to find a modern explorer who is covering everything, from the arctic to tropical rain forests, from the Sahara to the tundra.
11-25-2014, 04:22 AM   #3330
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,593
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I think the point is more the 'climbing in the mountains', 'being active outdoors' thing instead of the specific activity shown. Obviously one could make a better ad that features a better narrator, some rain or snow to show off the WR etc. Just have to find a modern explorer who is covering everything, from the arctic to tropical rain forests, from the Sahara to the tundra.
Agreed, but you need something that everyone can relate to.
Camping with families or trekking in the woods looks more palatable to a wider audience.
Rope walking is not for families, nor for the masses, in my humble and personal opinion.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
brand, camera, canon, cell, choice, companies, domination, dslr, eastman, favor, fear, lens, nikon, pentax, people, phone, photography, pm, post, result, scroll, steve, time, tools, water, wheel, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K 28mm/2 (rare ?, value ?) mactansblue Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 28 08-28-2010 09:57 AM
Landscape Rare Precipitation skid2964 Post Your Photos! 8 12-19-2009 08:50 PM
How rare is this lens? raymeedc Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 11-20-2009 02:31 PM
The rare F50mm f/1.4 coqui Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 05-14-2008 06:09 AM
A rare find indeed... !! Marc Langille Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 19 10-31-2007 01:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top