Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 04:47 AM   #3331
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Agreed, but you need something that everyone can relate to.
Camping with families or trekking in the woods looks more palatable to a wider audience.
Rope walking is not for families, nor for the masses, in my humble and personal opinion.
To be honest, most of the ads GoPro does are not for the masses at all - how many people do extreme backcountry skiing, climb an iceberg or descend into volcanoes? The ads don't have to accurately portray what the majority of customers will eventually do with the product, they have to make us internally shout 'Cool!' Most people who buy a DSLR will not come close to ever shooting NatGeo quality pictures, most people buying an Audi will not cruise around on mountain roads all day and most people buying a pocket knife will open more bottles of beer in their backyard than cans of tuna in the Highlands - and still it's these kinds of images that are used in advertising

11-25-2014, 05:17 AM   #3332
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
To be honest, most of the ads GoPro does are not for the masses at all - how many people do extreme backcountry skiing, climb an iceberg or descend into volcanoes? The ads don't have to accurately portray what the majority of customers will eventually do with the product, they have to make us internally shout 'Cool!' Most people who buy a DSLR will not come close to ever shooting NatGeo quality pictures, most people buying an Audi will not cruise around on mountain roads all day and most people buying a pocket knife will open more bottles of beer in their backyard than cans of tuna in the Highlands - and still it's these kinds of images that are used in advertising
Exactly, that's another way.
But four random guys getting out of two definitely uncool cars that weren't even pictured save from some details (out of shame?), dressed up with run-of-the-mill equipment, and attempting a rope-walk in blue jeans (have you ever tried trekking in blue jeans? I can only imagine what nightmare rock climbing in those could be!!!)and a 5$ tee is anything but cool.

Go Pro advert characters instead are clad in technical equipment from head to toe, jump from planes, defy death in shiny bikes with dual suspensions, disk brakes and fancy helmets, dive in beautiful reefs with fashionable swimsuits (esp. if they are female, that's a little cliché I have to admit), in a word they look the part.

So you can actually do cool, just please do it properly.
Otherwise it's just geeky and you'd better do the family thing...

Besides, in general perception, climbing mountains and kayaking in wild rivers is for tough guys, rope-walking is for weirdos...
11-25-2014, 05:30 AM   #3333
Pentaxian

But four random guys getting out of two definitely uncool cars that weren't even pictured save from some details (out of shame?), dressed up with run-of-the-mill equipment, and attempting a rope-walk in blue jeans (have you ever tried trekking in blue jeans? I can only imagine what nightmare rock climbing in those could be!!!)and a 5$ tee is anything but cool.
I never knew that being cool is defined by brand clothing and expensive cars, but if that's your perception ... I doubt anyone cares about how much their t-shirts were (literally the piece of clothing where price matters the least), but if you're really focussed on this kind of stuff: the protagonist carries his K30 around in a rather pricy f-stop bag (I think it's a Loka).

QuoteQuote:
Besides, in general perception, climbing mountains and kayaking in wild rivers is for tough guys, rope-walking is for weirdos ...
Where did you spend the last 5 or so years that you've never heard of slacklining?! I think it's just the hipsters reinventing rope-walking, but tons of people my age rave about it, and it has definitely lost it's geeky image years ago.
11-25-2014, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #3334
Pentaxian

I never knew that being cool is defined by brand clothing and expensive cars, but if that's your perception ... I doubt anyone cares about how much their t-shirts were (literally the piece of clothing where price matters the least), but if you're really focussed on this kind of stuff: the protagonist carries his K30 around in a rather pricy f-stop bag (I think it's a Loka).
It's not *my* perception, but that of the general public. I don't base my next camera purchase on fancy videoclips, but a lot of people do.
The pricy bag on the other hand... I bet less than 5% of those who watched the video noticed that...
I personally don't care about being "cool" or not, and it shows, as I shoot Pentax, a K-01 nonetheless!

Where did you spend the last 5 or so years that you've never heard of slacklining?! I think it's just the hipsters reinventing rope-walking, but tons of people my age rave about it, and it has definitely lost it's geeky image years ago.
I don't know, maybe it's mainstream in your part of the world, but I bet if we make a survey it ends up way back in the hierarchy of extreme sports.
OTOH Felix Baumgartner had a GoPro, and that made headlines all over the world, deservingly or not.

See, I don't care what people think is cool, but if a commercial is a huge failure like this one then I'm at least allowed to point out what are, to me, the evident flaws in it.
You have to play their game. Or be so good at yours that how you advertise it becomes irrelevant.

Last edited by LensBeginner; 11-25-2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: missing space
11-25-2014, 07:21 AM   #3335
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Exactly, that's another way.
But four random guys getting out of two definitely uncool cars that weren't even pictured save from some details (out of shame?), dressed up with run-of-the-mill equipment, and attempting a rope-walk in blue jeans (have you ever tried trekking in blue jeans? I can only imagine what nightmare rock climbing in those could be!!!)and a 5$ tee is anything but cool. ...
Besides, in general perception, climbing mountains and kayaking in wild rivers is for tough guys, rope-walking is for weirdos...
Hate to burst your bubble but those guys in the video are definitely real, hard core climbers. From my days in the distant mists of time as a serious climber, it looks totally real for some guys out practicing their skills and having a good time. Most every high-end rock climber has spent practice time in ratty jeans (have you every seen the climbers' camp in Yosemite Valley?) and walking a slack line is one of the training activities that every climbing school recommends. Usually it is done a couple of feet off the ground so falls are not a problem but it definitely builds balance and feel for the real thing. Actually, the skills those guys were displaying were pretty darned impressive. And the photography was pretty good as well.

Now, if that video makes for good advertising to the general masses, that is a different story. I was impressed but I have a different viewpoint. I know how hard that was. Mom or pop looking for a camera to photograph the kids might not see it that way.
11-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #3336
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Hate to burst your bubble but those guys in the video are definitely real, hard core climbers. From my days in the distant mists of time as a serious climber, it looks totally real for some guys out practicing their skills and having a good time. Most every high-end rock climber has spent practice time in ratty jeans (have you every seen the climbers' camp in Yosemite Valley?) and walking a slack line is one of the training activities that every climbing school recommends. Usually it is done a couple of feet off the ground so falls are not a problem but it definitely builds balance and feel for the real thing. Actually, the skills those guys were displaying were pretty darned impressive. And the photography was pretty good as well.

Now, if that video makes for good advertising to the general masses, that is a different story. I was impressed but I have a different viewpoint. I know how hard that was. Mom or pop looking for a camera to photograph the kids might not see it that way.
I believe that is the whole point here.

What you said makes things even worse, because of the fact that one (supposedly one of them) at the end says "..., and I'm a photographer". Not "a climber". That was one more bad move, IMHO.
Now if he had said "I'm Ed Viesturs, and I'm a climber", that would have made an impression...
But then again it's not about what your skills are, what your camera can do etc. but how you present those points that counts - in advertising. Hell, it's the only thing that counts.
11-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #3337

watched the video.

I hate to bash a potentially good work, but if I'd be in the market for a new camera, or even a new brand, this one wouldn't be The Thing for me. neatly done, but it looked staged.

here are a couple of GoPro videos that I really like:

they never sell the gear. I think, they sell the feeling and emotion, and I think that this is what the good advertising does - they sell the idea about feeling that could very well be yours, if you get that particular gear [on the second thought - they don't even sell THAT, they leave it for you to come up with that idea - everyday "Inception", anyone? ]

I'm not sure, what emotion the DSLR manufacturers are actually selling (any of them).

Last edited by karro; 11-25-2014 at 11:28 AM.
11-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #3338
Pentaxian

Agreed, but you need something that everyone can relate to.
Camping with families or trekking in the woods looks more palatable to a wider audience.
Rope walking is not for families, nor for the masses, in my humble and personal opinion.

But it is also more impressive... That how go pro work. It show you video of incredible thing in fantastic place like jumping from a plane in brazil... You buy it even through you use it for biking the mountains nearest to your home!

11-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #3339
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
But it is also more impressive... That how go pro work. It show you video of incredible thing in fantastic place like jumping from a plane in brazil... You buy it even through you use it for biking the mountains nearest to your home!
I'd say that jumping from a plane in Brazil is more impressive than a bunch of ordinarily-dressed guys walking on a rope... I agree with you, I was just asking for more & different...
11-25-2014, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #3340
Pentaxian

I'd say that jumping from a plane in Brazil is more impressive than a bunch of ordinarily-dressed guys walking on a rope ...
Alright, we get it - you don't find it impressive when people are walking over a rope that bridges a Canyon dozens of metres deep. I do, most people do. I agree that an outdoor ad needs to be flashy, but at the same time with these guys Pentax bridges the radically exotic and the relatable. Climbing an iceberg or racing down a mountain on a bike are impressive things that most costumers are never going to do. Doing slacklining in the mountains is still pretty cool (not for you, I know, because they don't wear spacesuits), but it's something you could realistically do with your mates.
11-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #3341

When I started researching cameras to get 4 years ago I wound up going with the K-x. For the comparative priced Nikon and Canon alternatives you got a lot more for the price based on all the reviews I looked at. I'm looking to upgrade soon (K3 possibly) but to this day everyone usually responds with "Pen what?" or "why did you get a Pentax over Canon or Nikon" with the presumption that Pentax because of the name is an inferior camera. I even had a friend who had a canon rebel and upon getting a new canon 50mm 1.4 showed me some great pics and said "you can only get shots like that on a Canon", Preposterous I say . I believe we are rare and it would seem that the masses through their own ignorance assume Pentax is some cheap knock off.
11-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #3342
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rabblefrabble Quote
When I started researching cameras to get 4 years ago I wound up going with the K-x. For the comparative priced Nikon and Canon alternatives you got a lot more for the price based on all the reviews I looked at. I'm looking to upgrade soon (K3 possibly) but to this day everyone usually responds with "Pen what?" or "why did you get a Pentax over Canon or Nikon" with the presumption that Pentax because of the name is an inferior camera. I even had a friend who had a canon rebel and upon getting a new canon 50mm 1.4 showed me some great pics and said "you can only get shots like that on a Canon", Preposterous I say . I believe we are rare and it would seem that the masses through their own ignorance assume Pentax is some cheap knock off.

Similarly, I looked at reviews, specs, test images and such; around the price I was going to spend, the K-30 really stood out from the entry-level and similarly-priced Canon or Nikon.
11-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #3343

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Similarly, I looked at reviews, specs, test images and such; around the price I was going to spend, the K-30 really stood out from the entry-level and similarly-priced Canon or Nikon.
Exactly, you would think someone spending that kind of money would do some research but everyone walks into the big box stores and goes for the name brand and the decision between the two is probably based on what bias the salesperson has. If people took the time they would probably be led to some other great camera brands out there.
11-25-2014, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #3344
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rabblefrabble Quote
I have had a similar experience exactly twice. Both times I replied to the sneerer who enquired 'why the heck would you choose Pentax'. - 'Well, some people have discernment, some people are sheep. Some people can do their own research, and make an informed decision, some people are swayed by advertising dollars and sales spiel.'

I refrained on both occasions to make the comment 'that cheap piece of plastic Canon crap you are holding is not even in the same camera universe as this k5/k3', because they simply wouldn't have comprehend.

Let fools be fools, I say.
11-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #3345

I shot Canon for years, then my dad passed away and I inherited all of his camera gear. His Pentax film cameras and lenses. I started looking for info on the net about his lenses and found this forum. I bought an *ist DL so I could use dads lenses, what a great camera! The more I read on your forum the more I learned, and I bought a Q10 with 2 lenses. Then a Q7 and a WG3 GPS. I found a great deal on a used K20D on this forum that came with a grip. That has been my go to camera until you people showed me what the K5iiS is capable of doing. I ordered one and I'm not allowed to open it until Christmas.....My dads lenses are still being used, and I have added to them a little bit here and there.

My Canon gear still gets used, but right now the only camera not put up in a case is the K20D with the SMC DA AL 35mm lens on it. It's my daily use camera. I blame every one of you, you are all enablers! And I am thankful for it.

---------- Post added 11-25-14 at 06:06 PM ----------

and I completely forgot to add, the camera club I am a member of only has one other Pentaxian besides myself. So yes, we are a rare breed.