Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 05:06 AM   #3346
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rabblefrabble Quote
I even had a friend who had a canon rebel and upon getting a new canon 50mm 1.4 showed me some great pics and said "you can only get shots like that on a Canon",
Given how far Canon sensors are behind everyone else's. he's probably right!

11-26-2014, 05:35 AM   #3347
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I never knew that being cool is defined by brand clothing and expensive cars, but if that's your perception ... I doubt anyone cares about how much their t-shirts were (literally the piece of clothing where price matters the least), but if you're really focussed on this kind of stuff: the protagonist carries his K30 around in a rather pricy f-stop bag (I think it's a Loka).
Where did you spend the last 5 or so years that you've never heard of slacklining?! I think it's just the hipsters reinventing rope-walking, but tons of people my age rave about it, and it has definitely lost it's geeky image years ago.
I do not think he necessarily meant that he thought it was cool but that the general public or at least the segment aimed at would think it was cool. In that he is probably correct.
11-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #3348
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The cars don't matter, it's not a car ad. What are they supposed to get out of? Baby blue Bentleys? This is not a hip hop video...
*snip*
I only meant that the perception the audience get of a character goes through what he does and what he uses.
Also, impressions are formed in seconds (an ad is short) and mostly based on stereotypes.
People like that getting out of a station wagon, and I expect an "office belly"...

---------- Post added 11-26-14 at 06:17 PM ----------

After all the point is to show that bad weather won't harm the camera.
Exactly... no bad weather there...

---------- Post added 11-26-14 at 06:20 PM ----------

but much better done (ok, budget was probably bigger)
Agreed.
11-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #3349
Veteran Member

Hm. I'd like the guys (and gals?) to get out of some beaten up car... a wagon for example. Wearing a worn shirt, maybe Threadless, Qwertee or so and some very worn jeans. Unshaven, rough looks in general. A bit of an adventurer type. And very bad weather please.

11-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #3350
Veteran Member

Hm. I'd like the guys (and gals?) to get out of some beaten up car... a wagon for example. Wearing a worn shirt, maybe Threadless, Qwertee or so and some very worn jeans. Unshaven, rough looks in general. A bit of an adventurer type. And very bad weather please.
I like the idea.
However a "beaten up car" has some character, while an ordinary car, not brand spanking new but not beaten up either, has no personality.
You detailed a consistent set of features that help paint an adventurous kind of person. I get another feeling from the ad.

Also, it would have been a good idea to actually feature the car more, if it was to be considered an asset.
One idea that springs to mind is a ground-level shot of an incoming wheel braking and stopping in front of the camera, sporting a worn tyre and a muddy wheel arch (mud guard or whatever you call it).
Cliché, maybe, but deliberate. Definitely not a haphazard intrusion of a detail because it happened to find itself in the frame.
11-26-2014, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #3351
Forum Member

"Are we really THAT rare?" I suspect we are. This past Friday I attended an event where I brought along an original Pentax Q. The moment I flip open the never-ready case I hear "Cool. A classic camera user" from one woman, "Nice. 110?" from another. Before I could respond to either women a younger man steps forward and says, "Digital, not film. Q, right?". For a moment I was speechless. I soon learned that the the two women had no idea that Pentax "still made cameras" and was pleasantly surprised that the young guy knew a Q when he saw one. Turns out the brother of the young guy is a "Pentax fanatic" who loves/uses the Q10(?) and K-3.

Both women expressed interest in the Q system. Perhaps we'll be a tiny bit less rare in the near future. :-)
11-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #3352
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Multi-coated Quote
"Are we really THAT rare?" I suspect we are. This past Friday I attended an event where I brought along an original Pentax Q. The moment I flip open the never-ready case I hear "Cool. A classic camera user" from one woman, "Nice. 110?" from another. Before I could respond to either women a younger man steps forward and says, "Digital, not film. Q, right?". For a moment I was speechless. I soon learned that the the two women had no idea that Pentax "still made cameras" and was pleasantly surprised that the young guy knew a Q when he saw one. Turns out the brother of the young guy is a "Pentax fanatic" who loves/uses the Q10(?) and K-3.

Both women expressed interest in the Q system. Perhaps we'll be a tiny bit less rare in the near future. :-)
I think I'd be speechless for moment if all that had happened to me...

11-27-2014, 05:25 AM   #3353
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I like the idea.
However a "beaten up car" has some character, while an ordinary car, not brand spanking new but not beaten up either, has no personality.
You detailed a consistent set of features that help paint an adventurous kind of person. I get another feeling from the ad.

Also, it would have been a good idea to actually feature the car more, if it was to be considered an asset.
One idea that springs to mind is a ground-level shot of an incoming wheel braking and stopping in front of the camera, sporting a worn tyre and a muddy wheel arch (mud guard or whatever you call it).
Cliché, maybe, but deliberate. Definitely not a haphazard intrusion of a detail because it happened to find itself in the frame.
I don't think more of a car would have been necessary. It adds little to nothing to the narrative (unless you add mud, but I feel for this video it would look rather fake). And the cars picked show a f*** you, I don't give a f*** about what car I drive attitude, which doesn't seem out of place. Had the video been shot in the rain that would have been different, but mud would not have given us any further information. It might have worked to shoot the whole thing in the rain, though the question would be... why? The photographer might say that it makes for cooler photos, that he likes how the rain splashes off the slackliners and makes everything shiny, but why would the slackliners want to do that?
11-29-2014, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #3354

Was at Blue Springs in Florida yesterday. It was insanely crowded, but I noticed the green ring of a DA lens. We walked by each other with the head nod of solidarity among all of the sheep carrying canon/nikons.
11-29-2014, 05:40 PM   #3355
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know they are selling tons of K-50s and K-3s with the great prices, but after seeing two places (in my neck of the woods) just start carrying K-50s this week, I think we'll start seeing more. They are actually getting them into stores.
11-30-2014, 04:33 AM   #3356
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I know they are selling tons of K-50s and K-3s with the great prices, but after seeing two places (in my neck of the woods) just start carrying K-50s this week, I think we'll start seeing more. They are actually getting them into stores.
In store I saw K30/K50/K500 quite a bit and sometime even a K5-IIs. K3 is more difficult to find. But it might not be needed as it sell already very well on the internet.

I think most sellers have just the entry level pentax that for sure have higher volume due to their price... and are arround the best compromise you could find from all brands. This give the store a cheap option for WR option.
11-30-2014, 07:11 AM   #3357
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
In store I saw K30/K50/K500 quite a bit and sometime even a K5-IIs. K3 is more difficult to find. But it might not be needed as it sell already very well on the internet.

I think most sellers have just the entry level pentax that for sure have higher volume due to their price... and are arround the best compromise you could find from all brands. This give the store a cheap option for WR option.
Good observation. It would be nice to have the full line in stores but what is important is to have the entry level cameras to attract new buyers. The K3, at least at normal prices, is not likely to be an impulse buy so it is available mainly online. No question in the ideal world we would all live where there is at least one B&M store carrying a full line of Pentax gear but, outside of Japan, that is not likely to happen any time soon.
12-01-2014, 01:46 AM   #3358
Veteran Member

*snip*
why? The photographer might say that it makes for cooler photos, that he likes how the rain splashes off the slackliners and makes everything shiny, but why would the slackliners want to do that?
Because it gets more slippery!
12-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #3359
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I noticed the Target store near my house does not have the white K-50 on display anymore. Don't know why, it was there a month and a half ago. The Target store near my house does a terrible job of displaying any of their cameras. No power to any of them, all the cameras are jammed together, the location of the theft-profs leases make it hard to get a feel for the grips - just a worthless display. Not having power is certainly the worst of the display sins.
12-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #3360
Veteran Member

I've been to our Pentax retailer today... I must say, they have a pretty well stocked Pentax shelf stack. It has all the current DSLRs except for the 645Z (which they also carry), and a bunch of lenses (18-270, 55-300 WR, 60-250, 200, 300, 20-40, a couple of Limited primes...). This cupboard is cared for by a long-time Pentax user who I had a really nice chat with. There was also an event this Saturday where Pentax was pretty exposed, with a 645Z and DA 560mm available.