Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2014, 12:01 AM   #3406
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I'd say the successor to the K-3 should have the CPU and sensor necessary for this (as Nikon is using the same hardware...). Doing it with the 50 MP MF sensor of the 645Z is pretty impossible though. The sensor would heat up a lot, the amount of data that needs to be shifted is even significantly more than the NX1 is able to shift, etc. And the NX1 has the most advanced sensor and processor used in a camera, far ahead of anything Pentax, Canon or Nikon have access to (except for perhaps the new Lytro, which has a state of the art smartphone CPU, but then again the NX1 CPU is a smartphone CPU enhanced for camera use).
Agree the heating might be problem as the sensor is bigger... As for the performance maybe the sensor itself is too slow to transmit the data fast enough.

But as for the downsample itself, I see no issue with dedicated hardware doing it pretty fast. At worst take 2 chips to do the work in parallel as it already work for smaller resolutions (28MP, 36MP).

Was this a priority ? I highly doubt it through.

Still I didn't get if this idea of taking just 1 pixel was confirmed offcially or if you are just extrapolating yourselve?

Last edited by Nicolas06; 12-15-2014 at 12:06 AM.
12-15-2014, 02:27 AM   #3407
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you really have to do it (which I do not think they think) you could make it very fast using gate array approaches. S/W is a very slow way of doing such a repetitive well defined and fairly simple task. Probably the gate array approach would use less power too.
12-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #3408
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Agree the heating might be problem as the sensor is bigger... As for the performance maybe the sensor itself is too slow to transmit the data fast enough.

But as for the downsample itself, I see no issue with dedicated hardware doing it pretty fast. At worst take 2 chips to do the work in parallel as it already work for smaller resolutions (28MP, 36MP).

Was this a priority ? I highly doubt it through.

Still I didn't get if this idea of taking just 1 pixel was confirmed offcially or if you are just extrapolating yourselve?
The Milbeaut Pentax uses doesn't support using several processors to do the job, AFAIK. I'd say the sensor is too slow, the processor is too slow, ... The next generation might be able to do it... Processor yes (Nikon's Milbeaut is able to do it with the D810), sensor... Depends on Sony's priorities I suppose?

To put things into perspective: Arri has a medium format-ish video camera. It is made of 3 Arri Alexa sensors, a normal Alexa is IIRC in the 50-100k Euro range. The big daddy is so expensive they don't even sell it... Just for rent.

To my knowledge Pentax has not confirmed what I said, but why would they? The performance speaks for itself, it is very typical of such a limitation. Perhaps they take 2 pixels and join them together, but it's clear that a lot of data is thrown away. I really suspect Pentax only did it because they were using hardware that could do it anyway, so why not enable the feature.

I don't think Pentax should put resources into MF video, it is pretty pointless. Would it ultimately be useful? Yeah, I guess, but it's too far away from that and not in Pentax' hands. The successor will be much better, and usable.

Better quality for DSLRs is much more achievable, and the components exist and are used by their relatives over at Nikon who use the same or similar ingredients. Improvements here, especially to the firmware can also go into the 645Z.
12-15-2014, 07:29 AM   #3409
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do you guys think it is possible to take this thread any MORE off topic???

12-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #3410

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Do you guys think it is possible to take this thread any MORE off topic???
I agree. That latest postings have nothing to do with spotting fellow Pentax users out-and-about.
12-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #3411
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
I was at an event this morning and happened to be talking to a guy about cameras. He asked me what I use and I told him "Pentax".....pause....then he asks me "what is that?". I said that it's a brand of camera like Nikon or Canon...."oh", he replied.....

Geez, people don't even know that Pentax is a brand...pretty sad. Yes, I would say that we're pretty rare...

not cool
12-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #3412
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
not cool
Tend to agree... But? Not a surprise....

Long story short...... Most like my K-30
12-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #3413
Pentaxian

Bit surprised about all the people being sad that other people have no clue about the existence of a brand called Pentax?

What do I care? If anything, it's an opportunity to show another photography enthusiast that there's something better than CaNikon out there

12-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #3414
Veteran Member

A few days ago, I swapped gears with a buddy for around two to three hours.

His Nikon 7100 + Tamron 17-50(?) with my K30 + FA43. We compared notes afterwards, he's stunned and impressed with the FA43, and now he's been researching for days to build a system around some Pentax primes. Before that, he was apathetic to Pentax. Now, he bugs me every now and then about the primes: the FA Limiteds. I don't think he's really impressed with the K30, but the FA43 has sure been giving him some nightmares He seems to be seriously contemplating running two systems.

My impression of his Nikon: the 7100's AF is indeed very good, but I'm not THAT impressed to consider a shift or even a second system, but I'm thinking of going K3 now , I want that AF.
12-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #3415
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Bit surprised about all the people being sad that other people have no clue about the existence of a brand called Pentax?

What do I care? If anything, it's an opportunity to show another photography enthusiast that there's something better than CaNikon out there
More people buy Pentax, more money to Ricoh, more money for R&D, newer/better models faster, larger user base for FF, FF (at long ef last), more lenses, etc.

...unless the bosses at Ricoh get greedy and start pushing out plastic junk and inferior, overpriced models because, you know, 90% of the people out there shoot Pentax and they'll buy those anyhow.
A bit what's happening with Canon...
12-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #3416
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
More people buy Pentax, more money to Ricoh, more money for R&D, newer/better models faster, larger user base for FF, FF (at long ef last), more lenses, etc.

...unless the bosses at Ricoh get greedy and start pushing out plastic junk and inferior, overpriced models because, you know, 90% of the people out there shoot Pentax and they'll buy those anyhow.
A bit what's happening with Canon...

If Ricoh would do that, I myself would switch to Nikon. My father had a D90 that I have used a couple of times. To me, it also felt well built like a Pentax, so I would go with something like that.

Right now though, I will stay with Pentax because that is what I know.
12-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #3417
Site Supporter

I visited a camera store in Phoenix the other day. Asked if they carried any Pentax gear. Got a polite smile in response plus an explanation that Pentax "is 1%" of the market, so why bother. Now I feel even more special
12-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #3418
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
I visited a camera store in Phoenix the other day. Asked if they carried any Pentax gear. Got a polite smile in response plus an explanation that Pentax "is 1%" of the market, so why bother. Now I feel even more special
I'm pretty sure Pentax has at least 3-5% of the market and apparently since Ricoh took over their market share has expanded. It's difficult to find out though, not much information out there.
12-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #3419
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
A few days ago, I swapped gears with a buddy for around two to three hours.

His Nikon 7100 + Tamron 17-50(?) with my K30 + FA43. We compared notes afterwards, he's stunned and impressed with the FA43, and now he's been researching for days to build a system around some Pentax primes. Before that, he was apathetic to Pentax. Now, he bugs me every now and then about the primes: the FA Limiteds. I don't think he's really impressed with the K30, but the FA43 has sure been giving him some nightmares He seems to be seriously contemplating running two systems.

My impression of his Nikon: the 7100's AF is indeed very good, but I'm not THAT impressed to consider a shift or even a second system, but I'm thinking of going K3 now , I want that AF.
You know what that means: You two should buy the K-3

The first time I got to try out a K-5 (the one belonging to the shop owner IIRC) a limited was mounted, can't remember which one. But it was really nice.

That being said I really like my DA 50/1.8, despite being plastic.

I wonder how long Pentax will be able to grow though. The Samsung NX1 got people talking, and combines typical Pentax advantages (very solid, water resistant, small and light) with some extremely fast and high quality hardware, very high resolution with decent low light performance. Also Samsung has much more money for advertising etc., and they are advertising, making promotions where you can trade in your old camera etc.
12-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #3420
Site Supporter

I bought my K3 after owning a K100DS. But the thing that prompted my change was handling someone else's K5 and seeing how much easier it would be to use to get results that I would be satisfied with. Nothing like touching stuff to attract one to buy. B&M shop keepers in general have exploited this by having most goods on open display. Even a shop like Costco displays high value items in a way that shoppers can touch and experience.