Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #331

Photos: Gallery
In Mexico theres no official support from Pentax, so I only know of three other people that uses this brand of cameras (one of them uses a K200d that I sold him ). Of course there are lots of stores, and users of course, that sell Canikon.

To me is incredible how bad the Pentax marketing is. Reading this post you coud find that entire countries are ignored by Pentax: Korea, Slovenia, Mexico (and most Latinamerica, I guess). That's millions of people that can be very easy convinced that Pentax gives you more bangs for your money. In these countries most of the people in their 40s an up, remember the brand simply because they used a Pentax when they began to take photos. I had bought 40+ Pentax lenses, Takumar and MF, down here in Guadalajara because there were a lot of Pentax gear. So Pentax were recognized as a good brand, they simply abandoned the users, and the users went to buy another brands.

Last edited by Barcel36; 09-26-2010 at 02:53 PM.
09-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #332
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
I was at a half mile yardsale today hunting down lenses (which I found a Sigma 28mm 2.8 lens for 8$ and also a SMC Pentax 50mm 1.7 autofocus lens for 4$!!!) and saw an older gentleman carrying a Pentax. I walked up to him and shook his hand. first time in public spotting a person carrying a pentax. We chatted for a good while. nice man
wow. I want such deals too, never found a Pentax lens at a yard sale (though I hardly go to those). Here the 50mm as a MF lens would be around 50 ... but the AF for 4$?! On eBay someone wants 270 for the 50/1.7 AF!
09-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #333
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Took the kids to a county-fair today, saw a lady with a Pentax.
Also did spot one Canon and two or three Nikon's with kit lenses.
So, not that many people with D-SLR`s to start with, we were effectively making up for 20% of shooters.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-26-2010 at 05:02 PM.
09-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #334
Veteran Member

A room full of Pentax users.

We had more than 50 Pentax users attending a talk last Saturday.
Thanks frank, for the nice shots and the help.
And kudos to our local agent for the camera and lens offers

09-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #335

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
wow. I want such deals too, never found a Pentax lens at a yard sale (though I hardly go to those). Here the 50mm as a MF lens would be around 50 €... but the AF for 4$?! On eBay someone wants 270 € for the 50/1.7 AF!

you know, I feel like I robbed the teenage boy that sold it to me.

I havent been to too many yard sales this year, but I just felt the need to go... asked my husband if he thought i would find any lenses there and he said "probably not"... I just had that feeling

and I am glad i went with it!!
09-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #336
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
you know, I feel like I robbed the teenage boy that sold it to me.

I havent been to too many yard sales this year, but I just felt the need to go... asked my husband if he thought i would find any lenses there and he said "probably not"... I just had that feeling

and I am glad i went with it!!
hmmmm....I dont think you purposely robbed the boy. besides, it's a garage sale, and garage sales usually dirt cheap no matter what their current price in the market is. so it's up to them on how they value their old items and it's a matter of personal research, not yours. you can call yourself a vulture but you are just playing the nature of a deal.

it's kinda funny and ultimately silly though that some people say it's a garage or used sale items yet they sell it for a market price value. now that one is what you call false advertising robbery.
09-27-2010, 07:27 AM   #337
Pentaxian

I went to the Maryland Renaissance Festival, and besides me, I saw 4 other Pentax shooters.

K200D weilded by an older guy...may have even been the guy from the car show.

K-x weilded by a twenty-something...

And finally, a K20D and K110D weilded by MRRiley and his daughter

Unixrevolution:"Excuse me, is that a pentax camera?"
MRRiley: "Yes it is."
U: "So is mine."
M: "Oh, an MX like mine!"
U: "Yeah, I have a digital too, but felt like kicking it old school today."
M: "You know, I belong to a place called PentaxForums...."
U: "So do I. Unixrevolution."
M: "MRRiley."
U: "Good to finally meet you!"

It also seems we both saw the same batch of Pentax Auto 110 stuff on Craigslist. I ended up snapping it up.
09-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #338
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Hey Denis, you are the ONE who made all these happen. I'm sure those who attended the short talk/training would benefit alot, me included

09-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #339
Veteran Member

One of my all time favorite shots -- Beatles in Pentaxians version:

Taken by a ME Super and FA43 on Kodak Gold 200 Film.
09-27-2010, 08:06 AM   #340
Inactive Account

I know there are other Pentax users in my area, I see them here on the forum. I've just never met one in person.

09-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #341
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I know there are other Pentax users in my area, I see them here on the forum. I've just never met one in person.

already met 3 members here. planning to meet the other guys next month or whenever possible. I hope we can make our own local Pentax club here and engage in group photo activities.

anyway, I was also able to talk to 3 random Pentax users, nice people I should say.
09-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #342
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
you have such seminars, and i cannot find pentax anywhere in stores over here!
09-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #343
REM
Forum Member

Saw only one other Pentax user on my vacation to Canada this summer. Old guy with a K20D and a DA*16-50, I believe. Spent 11 days in BC and Alberta. Tons of Canikons in Vancouver and Whistler. Old guy was on a tour group in Alberta.

I'm taking a composition class now, and believe it or not, my instructor has a red K-x with red kit lens and a 55-300. Normally my instructors there are Canikons as well as the students. Of course, my instructor with the K-x is a bit old-school and not that into digital and usually only shoots medium format/black+white film about 90% of the time.
09-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #344
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've seen only a few here in the Atlanta, GA area. One guy at the zoo was sporting a K7; we chatted briefly. Wolf Camera has stopped selling Pentax, and Showcase Camera and Video seems disdainful of the brand. Meanwhile, I just soldier on with my K10, LX, MX, ME-Super, and all the wonderful glass which works on ALL of them. Try that, Canon freaks! Your brand's redesign of the lens mount obsoleted some wonderful glass.
09-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #345
Veteran Member

A couple of years ago, I was the only pentaxian around. However over the last 18 months I can say I have seen more and more Pentax users. Not to the level of Canikon, but more nevertheless. In fact in May in Dubrovnik I saw more Pentax users than Nikon, which is saying something. Still not the level of Canon though. But, who cares? I don't, I know my camera is good, and produces images that others like. For me, it is Kudos to have something different, even though at times I get ribbed for my choice, but even then they appreciate what the Pentax can do.