Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2015, 10:05 AM   #3511

I gave my son my WG 2 GPS camera for his walks around the waterfront at night in the fog. He's almost ready for a dslr judging by some of his pictures.

01-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #3512
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Just saw a colelague at the office with a WG camera. They bought it for snapshots at corporate events.
One of my supervisors at work bought a WG for his vacation last summer (he was going snorkeling). That was one of the few Pentax cameras I've seen, other than my own....
01-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #3513

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
That plain simple... You care of video as few others. I don't care and many don't neither. For me the video mode is waste of button real estate and if I had choice I would prefer the video capabilities to be removed entirely to free up for better still ergonomics.

To me outside of a few true video users, the video features of modern DSLR are more of a spec sheet war.
Hey guys,
I do not want to feed more on this off-topic dialogue but I am sorry to see that respect for what others think or believe has degraded sensibly. I would beg of all here to write with respect to the rest of us. I have been following this thread for months or even over a year and still want to hear of what others have seen locally regarding Pentax gear.

From my view point, and speaking only of my own experience, having video in a DSLR is a plus. My use of my DSLR camera is probably 99% stills with video in the balance.But besides my personal experience with ocasional use of video, I have seen that video on a DSLR is desired by people majoring in college in electronic media. Also DSLRs are extensively used for their video capabilities by profesional videographers in my hometown, specially because they can use glass (primes) of the 1/1.2 or 1/1.4 kind. The bottom line is that there are a lot of us that wouldn't miss video in our DSLRs but that would be the case with a whole bunch of people that work with video. It doesn't matter if it is Canikon or Pentax or a different brand. Video in a DSLR is a plus and not only something for a spec sheet. this is my 2 cents of opinion.

Trevinon
01-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #3514
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
You mean take it somewhere where no one will read it, just so that someone will again say: Buy a video camera? They are meant for that? It has been explained several times in this forum why DSLRs are (sometimes) better for video than video cameras, yet people repeatedly say the same things.
You should have taken the hint.

Last edited by Parallax; 01-16-2015 at 12:14 PM.
01-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #3515
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I am unsubscribing. Sorry folks but this thread went off track.
Can I have his spot ... please?
01-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #3516
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trevinon Quote
No. It is the 2015 printed catalogue delivered to my door-steps, the kind of things I do not even check, but for some reason this time I decided to check the camera section and there it was, a full page promoting Pentax. I looked at their website to see if there was an electronic version of it but couldn't find any. :-(

But still, finding a promotional on Pentax in a catalogue by a company that is all over the country is a first in a very long time.

There was no indication about prices but from experience I wouldn't expect low prices. I would still go and by my stuff in Amazon USA or directly with B&H on-line.

Trevinon

That's quite nice !
01-16-2015, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #3517
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trey45 Quote
I gave my son my WG 2 GPS camera for his walks around the waterfront at night in the fog. He's almost ready for a dslr judging by some of his pictures.

Enthusiastically agree! Excellent job luring the younger generation into the cult--or rather giving your son a chance to try his hand at a great hobby!

01-16-2015, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #3518
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote

I didn't mean to take it this off topic, and to continue with the thread.
Oh, no ...

Asked to cease and desist about your pet topic - we're actually not stupid, we all understand your personal requirements - you do what you normally do and get up on the soapbox again; a baffling strategy for winning friends and influencing people!

Counseling an innocent potential buyer against purchasing the K-3 was where you drained the last reserves of good will for me, and others as well by the look of it.

Bring back the mad full framers hijacking threads, please - I now miss them!

Last edited by clackers; 01-16-2015 at 12:57 PM.
01-16-2015, 12:19 PM - 4 Likes   #3519
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's no longer a problem.
01-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #3520
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It's no longer a problem.
I would have given you a "like" if this hadn't been so cool:

(Edit: I guess you couldn't stay there forever... "Liked" where like is due )

ObObservation:
I met a couple at a party, friends of my daughter, who had a K-r with a nice FA50/1.4. Not that they know or care much about what gear they have "as long as it gives us great pictures". Couldn't argue with that.

Last edited by savoche; 01-16-2015 at 02:38 PM.
01-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #3521
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trey45 Quote

A technical question about the WG. Those pictures were obviously taken under quite challenging conditions. They do appear rather noisy but that may be at an extreme ISO. What ISO were they? He is certainly developing his eye for worthwhile subject matter.

Not that I plan to get the WG, I like my K machine.
01-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #3522

They were taken at night in the fog using one of the WG's presets, I believe it was their "hand held night scene" mode. I do not have metadata available to me. I'll ask him about metadata when he gets home from work.
01-16-2015, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #3523
Veteran Member

Ya revise y al parecer es solo un anuncio de próximamente en venta, lo cual aun así es bueno tener distribuidores de la marca en México, su tienda en linea aun no muestra ningun producto, solo el catálogo anual.

En una oportunidad iré al Sanborns y preguntare.
01-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #3524
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Ya revise y al parecer es solo un anuncio de próximamente en venta, lo cual aun así es bueno tener distribuidores de la marca en México, su tienda en linea aun no muestra ningun producto, solo el catálogo anual.

En una oportunidad iré al Sanborns y preguntare.
Please make all posts in English except when posting in the International Pentax Forums. Any non-English posts elsewhere should be accompanied by a translation.

Por favor haga todos los mensajes en Inglés, excepto cuando la publicación en los foros de Internacional de Pentax. Cualquier mensaje no ingleses en otro lugar deben ir acompañados de una traducción.
01-16-2015, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #3525
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
A technical question about the WG. Those pictures were obviously taken under quite challenging conditions. They do appear rather noisy but that may be at an extreme ISO. What ISO were they? He is certainly developing his eye for worthwhile subject matter.

Not that I plan to get the WG, I like my K machine.
The kid does have a eye.... He does use auto setting