Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #3586
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
To be honest, it's not too different with this forum. Loads of people who think Pentax is the only manufacturer of quality APS-C .....
But that is the reality.
K3 best APS-C on the planet.
K-S2 best entry level (so it is presented on many sites) on the planet.

02-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #3587
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
But that is the reality.
K3 best APS-C on the planet.
K-S2 best entry level (so it is presented on many sites) on the planet.
First of all I didn't say that Pentax isn't the manufacturer of the best APS-C DSLRs, I just said it's not the only one that builds quality ones, and second I agree on the notion that the K3 is the best (as in most well rounded) APS-C DSLR, but I admit that this notion is entirely subjective considering the 7D Mk II is definitely much better for any sports and action oriented shooting and the D7100 was rated as having slightly higher overall image quality than the K3.

And how exactly do you want to support your notion of the K-S2 being the best entry level DSLR on the planet when it hasn't even been released?!
02-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #3588

Yes we are rare!

I was on a cruise with 2,000 other people and was watching camera action the whole time. I saw one other Pentax and it was one that I hadn't seen before, some type of fixed lens smaller than a DSLR type thing. I don't think it was ever sold in the US. Anyway, Pentax is a very, very small market.
02-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #3589
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rmalbers Quote
I was on a cruise with 2,000 other people and was watching camera action the whole time. I saw one other Pentax and it was one that I hadn't seen before, some type of fixed lens smaller than a DSLR type thing. I don't think it was ever sold in the US. Anyway, Pentax is a very, very small market.
A bridge? Pentax XG-1 or X5?

02-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #3590

Yes, it was a 'bridge' type of camera but not those two models, something a lot older. I'd never seen it before and didn't realize Pentax ever made anything like it, I think the guy was from the far east, it was digital. That reminds me, when I was on a guided boat tour (in Alaska) the tour operator said he would help with cameras, I told him I'll bet he'd never seen one of these before, I had my K50 and K01, he said he had seen Pentax before, one of his buddies had one! I wish I would have taken a picture of it now!
02-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #3591

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I hear that PentaxForums actually hires actors to come in here and act like Pentax owners. We're that rare! Can you guess which ones?
Damn, I've been caught out. They only hire the best actors though, I'm really Cate Blanchett.
:-)

"John"
02-13-2015, 12:03 AM   #3592
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jhmos Quote
Damn, I've been caught out. They only hire the best actors though, I'm really Cate Blanchett.
:-)

"John"
Not Geoff Rush?? Interesting

02-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #3593
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rmalbers Quote
I was at the Henry's in St. John's, Newfoundland and they assured me they had seen other Pentax owners. I bought my Pentax (just a K-50) from a local shop and they assured me they sell quite a few. In fact in their store, Pentaxes had probably a quarter of the floor space.

That said, I have never actually seen an actual user either in the wild or at either feeding station which I regularly visit.
02-14-2015, 02:38 AM   #3594

I enjoy listening to Canon and Nikon owners go on and on about how superior their brand is. They remind me of Chevy and Ford owners. What's funny to me is these same people hold long winded debates on pp software. I've always been a Pentax guy and use Aperture w/a few Topaz plug-ins for pp. I get just as many compliments on my images as they do without all the time and expense in "the shop" doing fixes. I guess I shoot with Pentax for the same reason I drive a Toyota. They both work as advertised every time.
02-14-2015, 09:45 AM - 3 Likes   #3595

I went to a wedding a few months ago and saw a guy with a K5 and a photographer with a K3. No other DSLRs around.

Quite amazing.

Well no really. the guy was my son, the photographer was a friend and it was my wedding and my cameras.

Jeff
02-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #3596

Photos: Albums
Was recently in Taiwan and Japan. My attention was definitely not on checking out other cameras, but in the course of three weeks, I did see three other Pentax cameras:

- a K-5 or K-3 at Songshan airport in Taipei -- the owner was taking pics of the EVA Hello Kitty airplane (as was I!)
- an orange K-30 at the Hiroshima museum
- a K-5 or K-3 at Kinkakuju temple in Kyoto

About half way through the trip, my K-5 stopped working, so I had to resort to my backup body, a yellow K-01. Later on, when I was on Miyajima island in Japan, I heard someone say to their friend as they passed by, "Now that guy's got a really serious camera!"
02-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #3597
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by screwdriver222 Quote
Quite amazing.

Well no really. the guy was my son, the photographer was a friend and it was my wedding and my cameras.

Jeff

Spent the week in Sydney. Saw lots of tourists. All canons, a few fujis. No Pentax. Having said that - I wasn't looking especially hard...

On the flip side, managed to pick up a k mount lens at an op shop (thrift store to you americans), and declined on two m42 mounts, on two separate occasions.
02-14-2015, 09:01 PM   #3598
Veteran Member

Yeah, I believe we are somewhat unique. I know the Pentax market exists, but we do seem to be not the norm. I still very much believe in the Pentax way and value proposition, however. I bet others that take a good, hard look at the camera pro's/con's will come to the same conclusion.
02-15-2015, 03:14 AM   #3599
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
Was recently in Taiwan and Japan. My attention was definitely not on checking out other cameras, but in the course of three weeks, I did see three other Pentax cameras:

- a K-5 or K-3 at Songshan airport in Taipei -- the owner was taking pics of the EVA Hello Kitty airplane (as was I!)
- an orange K-30 at the Hiroshima museum
- a K-5 or K-3 at Kinkakuju temple in Kyoto

About half way through the trip, my K-5 stopped working, so I had to resort to my backup body, a yellow K-01. Later on, when I was on Miyajima island in Japan, I heard someone say to their friend as they passed by, "Now that guy's got a really serious camera!"

My company did the Eva Air website! Including the Hello kitty version uppon request: Hello Kitty Jet Travels with You! | Home

If you ask, our job is not to do graphic design or fancy stuff but more to manage flight reservations. We have also lufthanza (Online flight offers | No booking fee | Sale fares to Europe - Lufthansa ® United States of America) as hundred other airlines, and it look much more serious. I'd say that what you'd expect from a german company !
02-15-2015, 06:25 AM   #3600
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
We have also lufthanza (Online flight offers | No booking fee | Sale fares to Europe - Lufthansa ® United States of America) as hundred other airlines, and it look much more serious. I'd say that what you'd expect from a german company !
Yes, we Germans are a very zerious bunch. You even gave 'Lufthansa' a 'z'