Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #3646
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Years ago I was out shooting with my local photo club my K10D. There was actually another guy with a K10D as well. I was with a friend of mine who was shot Cannon all his life. He had his expensive full frame Cannon with him. A young guy asked us why would anyone buy a Pentax. My Cannon friend looked to him and said, "well if you drop your Cannon or Nikon you are going to most likely cry, if you drop your Pentax you just dust it off and keep shooting. That is why people shoot with a Pentax". Again this came from a friend of mine who is a professional photographer who travels the world and only uses Cannons.
I like your friend....

Must use his quote next time a T3i guy asks that same question

---------- Post added 02-27-15 at 05:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by trevinon Quote
And this is priceless.
It's the 3 cousin that's driving me nuts......

Wants 24 MP
Built in wi-fi and gps
And a lense that goes 60x zoom.......

Last edited by Pepe Le Pew; 02-27-2015 at 03:34 PM.
02-27-2015, 08:30 PM   #3647
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
I like your friend....

Must use his quote next time a T3i guy asks that same question

---------- Post added 02-27-15 at 05:50 PM ----------

It's the 3 cousin that's driving me nuts......

Wants 24 MP
Built in wi-fi and gps
And a lense that goes 60x zoom.......
A Fujinon surveillance lens, lol?
02-28-2015, 12:54 AM   #3648
Veteran Member

Reading this topic I got now the idea that I will photographing other Pentax cameras (except mines ) that I will see to work henceforth.
I do not expect too many pictures of this kind.
02-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #3649
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I am really sorry, I cannot remember. I think it was something like Pantax.

The shop had it at a Jean Poitier pleasing price of AUD2.99. (Approximately USD2.35)
Pentar? I asked on our forum and the guy who mentioned it last time told me Pentax cameras were sold as Pentars for a while in the South Africa. Presumably because Pentacon owned the Pentax brand there.

03-01-2015, 01:22 PM   #3650
Veteran Member

good things are almost rare!
03-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #3651
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trevinon Quote
And this is priceless.
3 cousin... Is looking at D5500.....
03-04-2015, 10:49 PM   #3652
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
3 cousin... Is looking at D5500.....
Write them out of your will, Pepe!

03-05-2015, 07:24 AM   #3653
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Exactly, write them out for even looking at it. Make it clear, no Pentax, no denari.
03-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #3654
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Exactly, write them out for even looking at it. Make it clear, no Pentax, no denari.
Wait till he looks at the prices of lenses, basically the lenses I have boughten for my k-30.
03-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #3655
Veteran Member

In the light of a lot of people here complaining about condescending remarks by CaNikon users - how about we create a thread called something like The ultimate 'I abused my Pentax and it survived' Thread, where everyone can post pictures and stories of physical abuse his/her camera has taken and survived. Something along the line of Heie's Afghanistan treatment, but based on real life situations. I for example shot a Holi festival today but only took a picture of my camera after following the rain had already washed all the colours off

This thread would then serve as a testimony of classical Pentax ruggedness and every time someone asks why we shoot Pentax we could just refer/link to it
03-08-2015, 10:01 PM   #3656
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
The ultimate 'I abused my Pentax and it survived' Thread
Fire it up! Should be a fair number of survival stories out there.
03-09-2015, 12:07 AM   #3657
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was in Brixham, on the south Devon coast, for around two hours on Saturday. I saw 2 Nikon's, 1 Cannon, and a Pentax. Along with my K5 we were almost in the majority.
03-09-2015, 12:43 AM   #3658
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimD Quote
I was in Brixham, on the south Devon coast, for around two hours on Saturday. I saw 2 Nikon's, 1 Cannon, and a Pentax. Along with my K5 we were almost in the majority.

It wasn't me on Saturday, but I'm a Pentax shooter who can often be seen in Brixham. My parents live there, so I visit at least once a month. There's also a great little camera shop there called Mifsuds, with a good selection of new and used Pentax gear.
03-09-2015, 11:39 PM   #3659
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
It wasn't me on Saturday, but I'm a Pentax shooter who can often be seen in Brixham. My parents live there, so I visit at least once a month. There's also a great little camera shop there called Mifsuds, with a good selection of new and used Pentax gear.

Yes. I had a look in their window but I'm not after anything at present. Well not anything I can afford

03-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #3660
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Years ago I was out shooting with my local photo club my K10D. There was actually another guy with a K10D as well. I was with a friend of mine who was shot Cannon all his life. He had his expensive full frame Cannon with him. A young guy asked us why would anyone buy a Pentax. My Cannon friend looked to him and said, "well if you drop your Cannon or Nikon you are going to most likely cry, if you drop your Pentax you just dust it off and keep shooting. That is why people shoot with a Pentax". Again this came from a friend of mine who is a professional photographer who travels the world and only uses Cannons.
Although I use a K-3 and K-5 IIs nowadays, I keep a K-7 in my collection. The grip on it bears the scars of a fall I had onto tarmac where a K-5 I was wearing on a strap hit the ground before me. Needless to say, apart from a few scrapes, it worked fine (and still gives good service to the friend to which I gave it). Well, I just picked up the K-7 to dust it off, and to my horror, I dropped it from fully shoulder height. My efforts to catch it just knocked it further away. It crashed to the floor and the lens cap shot off, and the built in flash opened. Fearing the worst, I picked it up expecting bits to drop off. It looked fine, so I inserted a fresh battery and... you guessed it, the camera worked perfectly. Not even a mark on it, or the kit lens attached to it. I wouldn't like to try a similar experiment with my my Olympus OM-5, or any of the other cameras in my collection. Your friend was quite right about Pentax's legendary toughness.